the NeT Neutrality debate is back

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I don't personally believe the providers should ever have any say over what they transmit, and have no right to look at it. Google is the most evil empire in human history.
That is not what net neutrality is about.

Short version: What we have now is net neutrality. You can visit any site on the internet and your ISP can not slow you down or charge you extra.

Ajit Pia the the Republicans want to remove this restriction.

This is what internet looks like with no NN, here is an image for an ISP from Portugal:

You like Snapchat? That will be $5 extra.

Like Netflix? Another $5 please...

AT&T, Spectrum (TW), Verizon and others want to be able to maximize their profits and start charging you for every little thing they can.

The tricky part here is that the Ajit Pai has named this effort the "Internet Freedom Act" which will remove those horrible Obama era restrictions and allow companies to compete.

This of course is complete BS. There is no competition between ISPs in most areas. I have two choices in my home town if I want 100mb internet, Time Warner or nothing.

At this point the fix is in, it looks like we are going to lose NN.

EDIT: Just to add before this goes further, we have a no politics rule on the forums, but this particular issue is unfortunately completely partisan with every single Democrat voting to keep NN, and every single Republican wanting to get rid of it:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/112-2011/s200

If you live in a red state, please contact your representative and let them know that this is one issue they really need to step up and represent their constituents best interests.

Last edited:

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I don't personally believe the providers should ever have any say over what they transmit, and have no right to look at it. Google is the most evil empire in human history.
Well, with Google, unless you have their Fiber service, they only can look at what you do while using their services.

Comcast is the evil one: They're paying lobbyists to lie about how "beneficial" repealing Net Neutrality would be to consumers. Well, not just comcast, but TWC/Charter/Spectrum, Cox, Verizion, et al.

They also like to look at your usage, as well, but since you signed a contract, they can!

Assholes.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Hey just some info.
So the FCC chairmen thinks this:
https://twitter.com/SteveForbesCEO/status/933031039714422784
He retweet his buddy's tweet about it.

That ISP should be a "free market'
Okay... Economics 101.... Barrier to entry in market.
When barrier to entry is so high, only massive companies can dare try to enter, that means it's NOT a free market.
It's called an oligopoly market.
Something we learn about in nearly every USA undergrad degree program.
As an oligopoly market, it's not possible to have enough providers for which customers can make the best economic choice so providers will be forced to give the most value to customers in order to stay in business. A true free market is say.. I open a lemonaid stand.. and you open a lemonaid stand.. and joe blow down the street opens a lemonade stand.. and customers can choose whichever lemonade stand they want... and if they're not happy with the selections.. they can easily open their own lemonade stand.
That's not possible with ISP service until technology DRAMATICALLY improves.. where you can connect to a LEC (look it up) Local Exchange Carrier and offer connections through your network into the LEC. And see how much it would cost you to connect to a LEC... it's VERY expensive. To make it make sense, you would need a sufficient amount of customers to make a profit and hope they all don't use a tremendous amount of bandwidth or you're screwed on quality of service you can provide.

Lastly, for this FCC chairman to have this point of view, I really think he needs to get investigated for corruption.

So what I did, I called as many as my congressmen and congresswoman and informed them of the above point and also asked them to investigate the FCC chairman for corruption.

This shit is crazy how so many policy makers are in the pockets of big business.

Horatus

Space Marshal
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
Horatus
VPN and data encryption services will shoot through the roof if we lose NN. There will be work arounds but it will be annoying. Lucky I work in a data lab that has a lot of the gear that may be used to enforce the lack of NN and i've been researching bypasses and ways to fool its inspection methods.

Forgot your password?