The New Flight Model coming in 3.4

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
This is the observations & personal opinions of someone that got to experience the NEW Flight Model that we will be getting starting with 3.4 in December.

All you Fighter Pilots should be especially interested in this.
Many changes are coming and as before, it will take a few days to adjust to this Flight Model.
Personally, I am excited & happy that this change is finally here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9ngn72 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9ngn72/i_tried_the_new_flight_model_coming_in_34_while_i/

Have Comments? Please share them with us here..

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
i watched the présentation and it feel more like a realistic flight model. With actual inertial consideration and thrusters that arnt more powerfull than the main engines.
Cant wait to test it.

The actual flight model is .................. no comment (happy bouncing !)

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I'm more curious how these changes will impact large ships like the Caterpillar, Starfarer, etc.
The big news for *everybody* (on top of all the other changes, you really should watch the vid) is that De-Coupled mode should now work the way it is intended.

For fighters, harnessing de-coupled will mean that you can squeeze out extra time with the enemy in your sights.

For larger ships, you should be able to get up to your max speed, de-couple, and then find jump points and/or bring guns & missiles to bear on an enemy. Right now, for a lot of big ships, even if you decouple at max speed, moving your nose results in your speed going down to SCM speeds, which makes you a sitting duck. With these changes, it should make it easier to run away, or even try to fight.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
The big news for *everybody* (on top of all the other changes, you really should watch the vid) is that De-Coupled mode should now work the way it is intended.

For fighters, harnessing de-coupled will mean that you can squeeze out extra time with the enemy in your sights.

For larger ships, you should be able to get up to your max speed, de-couple, and then find jump points and/or bring guns & missiles to bear on an enemy. Right now, for a lot of big ships, even if you decouple at max speed, moving your nose results in your speed going down to SCM speeds, which makes you a sitting duck. With these changes, it should make it easier to run away, or even try to fight.
I'm more concerned with taking off and landing.
These changes, coupled with the horribly thought out 'contextual velocity-vectoring' instead of thrust-vectoring mechanic, makes me concerned that once cargo mass is implemented taking off and landing in large ships will go from the current 'riding a bull blindfolded' to 'press the I lose button'.

Cauac

Commander
Aug 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Cauac1
Yeah that OP reddit piece was written by Whitesnake from Legacy Fleet, he also spoke about testing the new the flight model in the SC4 discord.

I'm looking forward to Testing this and will be meticulously giving SHITloads of feedback to CIG so that the flight & combat will feel great once again! 💪 Well, at least good FFS!

My biggest concern is that the acceleration rates seemed already too low, looking at the Gladius in the CitCon demo video and based on Whitesnakes' post & chat. Yes, they need to be lowered but not wayyyy down. Perhaps around 70% of the current acceleration rates would be closer to ideal. Finding the sweet spot naturally depends on other balancing factors as well such as ship weapon projectile velocities etc.
Other big thing is how powerful will the maneuvering thrusters be. They shouldn't be nerfed too much so that dodging and avoiding fire by 6DOF maneuvers still remains possible. If the maneuvering thrusters are too weak it's not space flight anymore in my opinion. Also if the ship acceleration rates and maneuvering thrusters are nerfed loads and weapon projectile velocities remain high, it will become very difficult to avoid fire.

Really just hoping the Flight & combat to get fun, intuitive and just feel so that you are deeply connected and in control of how the ship behaves with lot of nuances and different characteristics available between different ships.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Other big thing is how powerful will the maneuvering thrusters be. They shouldn't be nerfed too much so that dodging and avoiding fire by 6DOF maneuvers still remains possible. If the maneuvering thrusters are too weak it's not space flight anymore in my opinion.
I think they will adjust so you can dodge in the most agile ships and not in the others. For fighter combat I think the Hornet is really the central figure, that all others are best measured against as agile or not. I'm pretty sure I have read this in the past.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Great review @CosmicTrader thank you, so awesome to read the opinion from someone that actually tried it out.
Just in time when I started to get tired of listening(reading) all "know-it-alls" theorycrafting how it might be or not ha ha...

CHEERS!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yeah that OP reddit piece was written by Whitesnake from Legacy Fleet, he also spoke about testing the new the flight model in the SC4 discord.

I'm looking forward to Testing this and will be meticulously giving SHITloads of feedback to CIG so that the flight & combat will feel great once again! 💪 Well, at least good FFS!

My biggest concern is that the acceleration rates seemed already too low, looking at the Gladius in the CitCon demo video and based on Whitesnakes' post & chat. Yes, they need to be lowered but not wayyyy down. Perhaps around 70% of the current acceleration rates would be closer to ideal. Finding the sweet spot naturally depends on other balancing factors as well such as ship weapon projectile velocities etc.
Other big thing is how powerful will the maneuvering thrusters be. They shouldn't be nerfed too much so that dodging and avoiding fire by 6DOF maneuvers still remains possible. If the maneuvering thrusters are too weak it's not space flight anymore in my opinion. Also if the ship acceleration rates and maneuvering thrusters are nerfed loads and weapon projectile velocities remain high, it will become very difficult to avoid fire.

Really just hoping the Flight & combat to get fun, intuitive and just feel so that you are deeply connected and in control of how the ship behaves with lot of nuances and different characteristics available between different ships.
I believe this is where they are going with it now that they have tools that significantly eases the ability to adjust flight characteristics. With that in mind I would fully expect that each patch and even in between patches we will see lots of flight adjustments being made to ships as they tweek them to compare to other ships and as features come online.

Forgot your password?