the new ships page

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The new ships page is wonderful. Even if they change the rotation and acceleration stats, we now can look at real raw numbers and compare. Look at the Herald stats and you'll see why it is what it is.

So early finds. . .look at the Reliant! The thing that killed the Reliant for me was the shoddy handling. Thing can't get out of its own way. Turns out, though the Yaw sucks (50 */s) and the pitch is only on par with the Vanguards (60*/s), the roll is actually good (70*/s). What this should mean is the horizontal strafe which makes use of the same thrusters as roll, ought to be 40% higher than your vertical strafe. And indeed, she has 100 M/s X axis acceleration which is very good! If she flies like that it may be a serviceable bird. Need to see someone fly it who understands what she can and can't do. Horizontal strafe should displace the entire ship quickly since it has a vertical structure.

Looks like they cheated the Polaris from a pair of S3 missile launchers. Lets hope that was an error. They took two of the Tevarin Ballistic Cannon off the Prowler, but looks like they want to add missiles. You know it really is way late to make those kinds of changes in a design--as much as I want the missiles aboard.

Radar seems to be rated in V (vehicle), S (Small), M (Medium), L (Large) and C (Capital). Expect these are big jumps and plan around ships with larger radar for all your business. When this comes in game, especially when accompanied by stealth, IMHO it will be a big deal. Looks like it will happen in 3.0. A word to the wise--it is always better to see and not be seen, and it is a dread thing to be seen and not be able to see. Watch your six! The Redeemer is slated for small radar--if they do that I would not buy it. All the dog-fighters have small radar. The Vanguard has medium. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

My disappointment with the radar is we were led to believe there would be short and long range, with three different kinds of sensors--EM, IR (both passive) and active radar cross-section, which can give away the owner's position. I expected to see at least three different kinds of sensory slots for every ship, but that is not what has appeared. Details of this all waiting now. The Tracker is listed as small radar. How does that make sense?

One supposes we will be able to make general judgements about range based upon the size and number of fuel tanks. Note the Vanguard has more tankage (2XM) than most other fighters (2XS). Note several ships fly with a single tank, like the 1M on the Cutlass. That is not enough for a ship like that, IMHO. Lets hope it is a typo. The Avenger has a single small tank. Has anyone noticed it runs dry quickly? The Sabres are listed all as a single small tank--again, could this be a typo? If not and the Hornets have twice the range of Sabres, that will affect my choice. The Terrapin has 2 small tanks--should not be so!

600i comes stock with spike missiles. Yeah, this is a bounty hunting rig, perfect for a small team of spoiled tough guys.

Twice the computer on a Lancer as on a Conny? Lets hope again that is a typo. Has anyone heard what the computer size is supposed to govern? What effect does it have in game?

Finally, lemme say I do not understand the ship speeds as listed. I think this must still be full of typos but I am not sure. Could these afterburner stats be real? The Lancer has a burn of 480 and the Conny Aquilla of 987? Really? That makes the Conny a blockade runner, and every pirate's pride and joy. Can this truly be? The Tally is over 800. This is totally unexpected, as the Tally was a dog and the Lancer was fast. Hornet is 1200+, the Vanguards are 1,000-1,100. Herald is 1,364. Nothing published for the Reclaimer--I thought this thing is done? The StarG is 888 so you start to see being over 900 is a good thing. If the stats on Lancer and Tally are true, I would never buy a Lancer. Buy a Taurus. The Warlock is faster than the other Avengers and faster than a Sabre! It's fast! Those slides in to nuke a target suddenly look more doable.

Now more than ever would be good if we could trust the stats on this page, but fact is we can't. The Idris are both listed as Large radar. That can't be right. We might want to make a list of what looks wrong and forward that to CIG through proper channels after a couple weeks look over? I expect there are Avacados amongst us. Maybe a list here is all we need?

Last edited:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
It is my understanding that those afterburner speeds are place holders while they sort out the Cruise Speed mechanic.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Well I decided to at least look at the Jpegs I own (and some I do not) to see if there is anything I could learn from the matrix about my "fleet".

Firstly I do not own an 890J but it is smaller dimensionally than a carrack just less weight but it is classed as Capital and Carrack as Large. This may affect which jump points can be used so it has some interest. (Yes its subject to change and I have no beef in that contest).

The terrapin will not be a long range explorer it has 2 small fuel tanks, like most of the small craft to be honest (yes it might be more efficient because its slow but heh, worth knowing). It does however have the same shields as the Connie Andromeda (note same as the freelancer too).

The 600 explorer has 2 medium fuel tanks for a large ship that does not look long range. No doubt the badge weighs a lot. The Aquila also has 2 medium tanks as does the Dur both being smaller you would think they would have longer range. The carrack has 2 large.

The caterpillar has the most computing power of all my ships, (no idea why or what it can be used for ingame (surprisingly more than Carrack). No doubt caterpillar computers are still using valves!

The polaris has 2 large shields same as the cruicible, the pioneer has 6 (for a capital ship it is not a brawler!) it also only has 2*Medium fuel tanks so again does not look like having a large range. Some ships have named components so all large shields may not be equal but it was interesting.

THe BMM which I do not own is arguably the best defended merchant ship having by far the best fire power it will be interesting to see how easy it is for pirates to take!

The cutlass blue seems to offer no advantages over the cutlass black unless you want the cells, in fact as a result of the cells has less cargo capacity. The cutlass red has double shields which as an ambulance I am fine with but it does make me think the various cutlass ships will not be interchangeable otherwise wouldn't we all want double shields? (Okay there is a power cost). I am glad the freelancer ships still have more cargo capacity than the cutlass ships.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deroth

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
The cutlass blue seems to offer no advantages over the cutlass black unless you want the cells, in fact as a result of the cells has less cargo capacity. The cutlass red has double shields which as an ambulance I am fine with but it does make me think the various cutlass ships will not be interchangeable otherwise wouldn't we all want double shields? (Okay there is a power cost). I am glad the freelancer ships still have more cargo capacity than the cutlass ships.
People said the different shield values might be an error on CIG's part. By design, the Blue was supposed to have the best shields.
If you think about it power-consumption wise, the Red needs power for the med facilities and the Blue needs power to keep the cells live, so the Black is the variant that should use the least power.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

Fighter

Commander
Jul 27, 2017
RSI Handle
Fighter26
Shields may not be a mistake. Armor values will be far different depending on model of ship. Terrapin is a good example of smaller shields to lower signature and have more power to put towards scanning when it does go active on scanning.

Edit- just to be clear- Terrapin is a good example as it is supposed to be a very heavily armored beast when the hull is buttoned up for stealth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deroth
Forgot your password?