The one question on every prospective buyer's mind...

Capt. Decker

Captain
Aug 21, 2019
RSI Handle
Frostwire
What's going on gents, Decker here and I have a very important, somewhat philosophical, question for you all...

Why are we here? What is our purpose? Deep meaningful questions that every game seeks to not only clarify at some point - but embolden through rich narrative and succinct storytelling. Of course, the possibilities are endless as time progresses, but I believe we are coming to a pinnacle of production within the development of Star Citizen, rearing its beautiful, bulky, head for a live release sooner - rather than later.

What will that mean for the newest distinguished citizen who hasn't followed the development? The one who was born into ignorance of the history, the lore, and given the ticket into paradise? They've been given the keys to the heavens and now what...?

I hope to seek an honest answer from CIG one of these days on how they'll go about the starting days in the Persistent Universe, giving us clear, if not somewhat definitive, direction for our characters' motivations. While I don't believe the game will be an utter disappointment, I do worry that CR's vision is suspended in the clouds, and not quite grounded yet.

Will we be mindlessly picking our starting location and slaving our way for money to an unclear goal? Or will we be greeted with a story that gives our character some depth, giving us a defined path that leads us into the heavens at some point to find our own path?

What do you think?

Drop your answer below, and don't be afraid to share your ideal prologue!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Edit: forgot to address the obvious, why are we here question as to relating to TEST.
We are here to drink beer, and chew bubblegum, and we are always out of bubblegum!
Cheers! 🍻

It's an interesting question, and the way you present it seems like there is no jumping-off point for the new player as to why he is here.
For the moment, this is kinda true. There is no tutorial, no clear "do this, do that" kind of story in PU. And there never will be a grand storyline to guide you, apart from a planned tutorial!
And all of this comes off as OMG, SC is pointless... Because you ignored the the prologue already in the making!

SQuadron 42!!!
There is a whole game (3 episodes of it) dedicated to be the prologue, your introduction into the universe of Star Citizen!

It will teach you to fly, introduce lots of ships, teach you how to fight on foot, and most likely in tanks as well, and will deliver a story to tie you in to the universe.
At least this was the original concept. What we will see on release is still up in the air...

As for your goals in Star Citizen (the PU), it's up to you. This has been communicated pretty clearly from the start. It is an open sandbox. Your goal is to have fun the way you want to. If you can't come up with anything you want to accomplish without the guidance of the games creators, then this game is not for you. Simple as that.

Capt. Decker

Captain
Aug 21, 2019
RSI Handle
Frostwire
True! Everything you said is absolutely true.

...If you bought Sq42. Hear me out, though. For those who have heard about Star Citizen, but never followed the development. Where is their prologue? Even if it comes down to "Oh, by the way, I know your father was a military legend and all, so here's his legacy to you... spaceship. Follow in his footsteps and make him proud!"

I'd be okay with that! I just had hoped this far along in the development process, we'd have something hinting at more of a narrative start rather than the idea that your character is just a fresh body thrown into a world that may or may not have a dialogue to offer from the get-go. Just food for thought, I suppose. I'm eager to hear what you all think!

...or drink!

Pure Blonde in the fridge, courtesy of my mates in Oz.

Cheers!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What's going on gents, Decker here and I have a very important, somewhat philosophical, question for you all...

Why are we here? What is our purpose? Deep meaningful questions that every game seeks to not only clarify at some point - but embolden through rich narrative and succinct storytelling. Of course, the possibilities are endless as time progresses, but I believe we are coming to a pinnacle of production within the development of Star Citizen, rearing its beautiful, bulky, head for a live release sooner - rather than later.

What will that mean for the newest distinguished citizen who hasn't followed the development? The one who was born into ignorance of the history, the lore, and given the ticket into paradise? They've been given the keys to the heavens and now what...?

I hope to seek an honest answer from CIG one of these days on how they'll go about the starting days in the Persistent Universe, giving us clear, if not somewhat definitive, direction for our characters' motivations. While I don't believe the game will be an utter disappointment, I do worry that CR's vision is suspended in the clouds, and not quite grounded yet.

Will we be mindlessly picking our starting location and slaving our way for money to an unclear goal? Or will we be greeted with a story that gives our character some depth, giving us a defined path that leads us into the heavens at some point to find our own path?

What do you think?

Drop your answer below, and don't be afraid to share your ideal prologue!
Salutations, Decker. Delicious set of quandries.

All I can give you is my subjective responses based on my own personal experience and opinion, so your mileage may very on the following:

Why are we here?
I suppose the reason why I am here is one day many years ago, my parents gave each other a special hug which I would rather not think about, resulting in conception. A lot of long, boring and mostly futile endeavors later, here I am.

What is our purpose?
Again, context will reveal an answer for you however I suspect in life in general we, organic life, are mostly Entropy Engines - we take or collate sources of rich energy and reduce them over and over until they are gone... We attain things sometimes, we accomplish things a bit, but ultimately our earthly efforts are not infinite and the energy expended is exhausted to no gain. You may travel to the other side of the world with the exertion of many kilowatts of energy, only to return and the energy expended is gone with no practical expenditure other than "I saw the pyramids, yo!". A building built of baked bricks is erected and used for shelter for decades, however it eventually crumbles and is gone all that energy just reduced to rubble which in turn reduces to dust.

Entropy. It's what we are for.

Squadron 42 is going to be the single player mode of the PU. You'll be playing s42 a long before the persistent universe is ready, too. So you'll run through being the right hand of the UEE to give you an idea as to if thats what you want to be chasing in the PU.

Other than that, there is going to be a whole universe to explore and survive. Imagine you know nothing of SC and log in on your first day. You know about AC and the Dying Star and Broken Moon levels. These are real places in the PU you could go visit. While doing delivery missions you discover the Outsiders cult colony on Leir II, you look into it more. While running boxes you discover Jump Town. Do you milk it for money or report it to the UEE and clear out that rat warren? You do a passenger transport to Nemo and discover the mystery of the empty seas there. Where did all that life go? To the stars?

I suspect while doing standard missions, like security, cargo, passenger transport, there will be many multiple mysteries just waiting to be discovered if only you think to look in to them. You are sent to repel a pirate raid, but notice are these pirates are in short range fighters - that means they must be based nearby, can I profit from finding this out either from the pirates or the UEE? How are these smugglers making it this far into the system, is there a secret jump point? What do these Vanduul raiders actually want in this system? Why are they bothering us when they have their own places to live and exploit? Are the not raiding, but actually running?

I suspect this is what the PU may end up being, a lot of larger issues and missions behind the day-to-day that is served up to you. I don't think they are going to be serving you much on a plate past casual gameplay missions. Bigger mysteries will await those wanting to find them. You don't need to know the lore to stumble across them. Just keep your eyes and mind open as you do your usual.

I hope to seek an honest answer from CIG one of these days on how they'll go about the starting days in the Persistent Universe
I think the game is going to be ready for a good few months before they officially launch it. Emergent gameplay, missions with players pitted against players. A lot of experimentation can occur before they finally plump for one, two or more mechanics that keep the 'Verse live and vibrant.

S42 is going to be the big story driven mode. I think they will be plenty of arcs happening in the verse like Tyrol going nova at some point etc, however I think they will be slow burners on a galactic scale with a lot of scope for players to make their own stories without being spoon fed like events and missions like S42 will be.

What do you think?
I try not to anymore. People don't seem to like it.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Haha, love the responses. Emergent gameplay seems to be the end goal, absolutely. I'm primarily focused on whether or not we wake up on our first day knowing who we are or not. Haha
Perfectly legitimate worry I think. Maybe the answer is very simple. They'll just do a short cinematic intro that explains that you are part of this universe now, go do trading, fighting, pirating, or whatever you want. Off you go then...
I for one don't mind that we are not given goals or a storyline to follow, but everyone has different reasons and ideas to what they expect out of the PU. I guess we will just have to wait and see what's on offer in a few years lol

JonSpencer

Grand Admiral
Aug 26, 2018
RSI Handle
jondspen1
And all of this comes off as OMG, SC is pointless... Because you ignored the the prologue already in the making!

SQuadron 42!!!
There is a whole game (3 episodes of it) dedicated to be the prologue, your introduction into the universe of Star Citizen!

It will teach you to fly, introduce lots of ships, teach you how to fight on foot, and most likely in tanks as well, and will deliver a story to tie you in to the universe.
But you have to remember that not everyone has SQ42 - so to rely on that as the PU primer would be erroneous, at least as things stand today.

Haha, love the responses. Emergent gameplay seems to be the end goal, absolutely. I'm primarily focused on whether or not we wake up on our first day knowing who we are or not. Haha
I am sure there will be some type of tutorial for basic game play, but considering ATM some professions are unavailable unless you purchase a certain type of ship - even the 'play as you want too approach' is 'broken'. Perhaps they will come out with a way to modify the Aurora for any profession (mining, bounty hunting, etc.) with some easy missions that match your 'level', but there is just too much undefined & changing every patch to make a guess on how it will play out. Good question though - ty for the post.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
CIG has had a full-time team cranking out Star Citizen lore fore six-plus years

ignorance about the Persistent Universe is willful ignorance

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Calm down my new friend & have another drink. The PU of SC won't be launched fully for several more years. Before then, 1 or more chapters of SQ42 will be released for backers to better grasp the lore & situation of things in the Verse. (If they actually want that knowledge.)

I suspect that most future SC players that start after launch will know somebody that was already interested in SC before them that will help them get started. If not, there is this free service online called YouTube that seems fairly popular that they can look up all sorts of videos, including some that would help them learn all about the Verse.

Case in point, here is a particular channel in which the fellow TESTie & backer delves into the lore of the PU as best as he can. Enjoy!

The Galactic Historian - by TheAstroPub

I get the feeling that you either haven't looked into Star Citizen all that much on the Star Citizen YouTube channel OR you are wanting to be spoon fed everything that their is to know about the Verse. I suggest that you invest a considerable amount of time watching the videos on there as for the most part CR spells the overall plan for the PU early on if not in his Kickstarter videos.

CIG has not stated where we will all start at official launch, but I'm rather sure that it will be in 1 or more areas that have a heavy UEE military presence to help keep the peace as beginning players get use to how things are in the Verse. Those that want story line to create their character's motivations should buy & play SQ42 before starting off in SC. Those that are creative enough to decide who they want to be or that are adventurous enough to discover who they will become by exploring the possibilities of the Verse don't need their hands held to enjoy the PU being as it will be.

Edit: forgot to address the obvious, why are we here question as to relating to TEST.
We are here to drink beer, and chew bubblegum, and we are always out of bubblegum!
Cheers! 🍻

It's an interesting question, and the way you present it seems like there is no jumping-off point for the new player as to why he is here.
For the moment, this is kinda true. There is no tutorial, no clear "do this, do that" kind of story in PU. And there never will be a grand storyline to guide you, apart from a planned tutorial!

SQuadron 42!!!

At least this was the original concept. What we will see on release is still up in the air...

As for your goals in Star Citizen (the PU), it's up to you. This has been communicated pretty clearly from the start. It is an open sandbox. Your goal is to have fun the way you want to. If you can't come up with anything you want to accomplish without the guidance of the games creators, then this game is not for you. Simple as that.
This pretty much sums up a lot.

As for the reason why most are here in TEST Squadron, I have a few theories.

But you have to remember that not everyone has SQ42 - so to rely on that as the PU primer would be erroneous, at least as things stand today.
Those that seek to have a story line to help give their existence in the SC PU, should invest in playing the chapters of SQ42. That is why it is being created. The PU is designed for players to reach out & explore all of the vast possibilities of game play that they choose to look into & experience. If they can't accept that is how these games are designed to work, then that is their willing ignorance showing.

Pure Blonde in the fridge, courtesy of my mates in Oz.

Cheers!
I believe that if all else fails, your answers that are not satisfied can be found at the bottom of that beverage in your fridge. If not, repeat consumption until you have found what you're looking for. All I ask for this bit of wisdom is that after you find your gem of knowledge, have somebody that cares about you give you assistance to where you go until you sober up. Cheers!

Capt. Decker

Captain
Aug 21, 2019
RSI Handle
Frostwire
Thank for all the replies, gents! To clarify, I'm not new to Star Citizen lore, I've followed the lore considerably back to the rise and fall of each Messer.

Remember, this is a philosophical question, not a question of fact yet. I'm curious to see what your thoughts are before CIG pulls the trigger on a final narrative (if any).

Knowing CR, I do believe there will be SOMETHING to satiate prospective new citizens into the PU, because, let's face it, most people are coming into SC for the multiplayer aspect, and once they find out that the back story is behind a paywall, it'll be tits up for their willingness to invest in another purchase.

That being said, your idea that stipulates Sq42 to be released a year (or years) before an official release of Star Citizen is not only a fair assumption, but a logical marketing approach.

It makes sense now after reading through countless pages and forums on the way CIG handles production of the PU. -- Slow is smooth, smooth is lucrative.

Let's just hope they give the minut majority of late backers something to ponder as they claim their ship for the first time.

Cheers! 🍺

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank for all the replies, gents! To clarify, I'm not new to Star Citizen lore, I've followed the lore considerably back to the rise and fall of each Messer.

Remember, this is a philosophical question, not a question of fact yet. I'm curious to see what your thoughts are before CIG pulls the trigger on a final narrative (if any).

Knowing CR, I do believe there will be SOMETHING to satiate prospective new citizens into the PU, because, let's face it, most people are coming into SC for the multiplayer aspect, and once they find out that the back story is behind a paywall, it'll be tits up for their willingness to invest in another purchase.

That being said, your idea that stipulates Sq42 to be released a year (or years) before an official release of Star Citizen is not only a fair assumption, but a logical marketing approach.

It makes sense now after reading through countless pages and forums on the way CIG handles production of the PU. -- Slow is smooth, smooth is lucrative.

Let's just hope they give the minut majority of late backers something to ponder as they claim their ship for the first time.

Cheers! 🍺
When they say "First Person Universe" I think that doesn't only mean you have planets and star systems and all the other stuff. You'll have places like Garron II which when you bring it up in the star map will give you its history which obviously effects the current events and atmosphere on the planet itself, and off the back of that I don't doubt there will be 'Verse wide annual holiday to highlight the resulting end of the Messer era.

There will probably be a 'Verse wide annual day to celebrate the end of the Tevarin wars, too, and you won't be able to go to the Elysium system without being made aware of its significance and how insensitively, almost to a scale of Garron II, its capture and management was - and if you know a Tevarin or even have one as a friend, you'll either not be able to shut them up about it during that day, or not get them to be able to talk about it at all.

The Arc star map already holds a wealth of local flavor that you are shown, not told. I don't think a lot of the stuff that has been in development for us to see will be hidden as such, but as a sandbox you might be clued in to something but you more than likely won't be told "Go to point X and do Z" unless it's one of the basic missions. In the PU there was a box move mission which lead someone to Jump Town. That might be as little clue you get as to the significance of a place. "Drop this box off here" It'll be up to you to put 2 and 2 together...

For Salvage game play I believe they plan to introduce wrecks you can either be told to go work on by a contract, be lead to by weak Distress Beacons, stumble upon (not much chance of that) or do some investigation and work out what a lost ships last route was and follow it to the site of the ship.

I think there are also going to be some very famous lost ships to find, like the Artemis, which will be more than just Salvage. Don't forget the wrecked Bengals out there in the Verse. There will be clues, but no one is going to be leading you to one of those. ;)

Yeah, there will be little contract missions, move this cargo, repel these pirates, salvage this wreck... but those will just keep you ticking over, and more likely be the nice short play for casual play. The big stuff will be the stories you make yourself, working out the mysteries of the 'Verse.

The history of the 'Verse won't just be available to new players to find out, it will be the universe and what it's built on. Look at Loreville on Hurston. The Corporate Headquaters is bathed in that company - and planets - history and you can see the squalor of the rest of that city is a result of that companies ethos.

I like to theortcraft, but this is what I think I have been seeing happening.

Last edited:

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
I would assume that when you first enter the game they will give you an optional starting quest/tutorial quest that will lead you into something resembling a short "main quest" line. During that they could direct you toward the informational aspects such as the star map. This seems to be how most MMOs handle it. They usually just give you a quick starting quest that ends up putting you in a place where you can get more quests.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It is a good question and for a typical game, it would be somewhat valid. While Eve never really had a starting area or even a tutorial or player missions to get new players going the same with Elite Dangerous. Both now do and I have a feeling the same will be true for Star Citizen. We have to remember that we are currently playing an alpha build that lacks many of the planned game features. To that end, Chris has stated several times that once they enable persistence fully and don't foresee the need for any more player wipes that it will be a soft launch. To that end I honestly see it happening as soon as they finish the server-side features of object streaming and server mesh with in the next year. These two things will fix a lot of the issues we currently have with desync and turn it from the current online server play to a true MMO. But to that end, I have no clue how they plan to go from this soft launch to a real launch or if they will ever really say its in beta or game complete and then start on expansions. The good news is they plan on never being done until the funding runs out, so as long as we continue to pay into the game much like a keg party it should never truly end.

I think the game is going to be ready for a good few months before they officially launch it. Emergent gameplay, missions with players pitted against players. A lot of experimentation can occur before they finally plump for one, two or more mechanics that keep the 'Verse live and vibrant.

I suspect that most future SC players that start after launch will know somebody that was already interested in SC before them that will help them get started. If not, there is this free service online called YouTube that seems fairly popular that they can look up all sorts of videos, including some that would help them learn all about the Verse.

Case in point, here is a particular channel in which the fellow TESTie & backer delves into the lore of the PU as best as he can. Enjoy!
I am sure there will be some type of tutorial for basic game play, but considering ATM some professions are unavailable unless you purchase a certain type of ship - even the 'play as you want too approach' is 'broken'. Perhaps they will come out with a way to modify the Aurora for any profession (mining, bounty hunting, etc.) with some easy missions that match your 'level', but there is just too much undefined & changing every patch to make a guess on how it will play out. Good question though - ty for the post.
Much as they have said holds true All the ones who are going to be there at the soft launch are pretty heavily invested and have been playing and don't really need a starting area. And while I am sure they will introduce starting regions for new players to the game I have a feeling its not very high on the todo list at the moment. So for us, we get the joy of figuring it out and making our own go of it and helping friends jump in without drowning in the openness of the game world.

Capt. Decker

Captain
Aug 21, 2019
RSI Handle
Frostwire
I'm hoping they do something, as well. Makes you wonder what starting system (or systems) we'll have, at that rate.

Main story requires you to be in Stanton? Well, boyo. Don't come to Nyx. Lmao

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I would assume that when you first enter the game they will give you an optional starting quest/tutorial quest that will lead you into something resembling a short "main quest" line. During that they could direct you toward the informational aspects such as the star map. This seems to be how most MMOs handle it. They usually just give you a quick starting quest that ends up putting you in a place where you can get more quests.
This sounds right, to be honest.

I played the beginning to Elite Dangerous but its tutorial just didn't get me invested in the game. Some randomer rocks up and something or nothing and my ships a pile of crap because it was busted but hang on it's the fastest in the game erm right, now deliver thing to space station but I can't get close to a space station and now I'm nearly out of fuel now land now choose another mission btw you can't choose all of them because of faction so choose a faction what the hell are factions *googles* mountain of info no info who's ship looks coolest 5 hours of playing and only 30 mins of play because argh.

Might not have given it the time it deserved, but didn't pick it back up again. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm hoping they do something, as well. Makes you wonder what starting system (or systems) we'll have, at that rate.

Main story requires you to be in Stanton? Well, boyo. Don't come to Nyx. Lmao
The way they have been able to make missions generate in different places in the PU at the moment it makes you wonder if there is a main story mode the missions system may be adaptive enough to do it no matter what system you start in. Say for instance you start in Terra and the missions for the story all involve outposts and a few main landing areas, the only difference between doing it in Terra and Tyrol is you'll have the might of the UEE to look after you in Terra and be crawling with pirate assholes in Tyrol.

Forgot your password?