The Problem with Capital ships

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
The main problem with the Idres is it's size and weight.

Idris ($1250.00) weighs 1,610,110 Kg and 239m, The Idris' fixed main antiship gun is the S5 Zestroyer Rail Gun; the engines 8 TR5, maneuvering thrusters 8 TR3; guns: 6 S3 manned turrets, gimbaled 1 S5 with no more than 4 S2 missiles, shields 1 S-TBD; power 2=TBD, crew 10- 6 on turrets; additional 1 S1 Jump engine.
4.5 Retaliators ($1237.00) weighs 864,000 Kg at 71 m apiece; has 22 S3 Torpedoes; engines 8 TR5, maneuvering 27 TR4, 9 TR3, 54 TR1; 22 S5 manned turrets with 2 S1 each or 44S1, gimbaled none except the torpedoes, shields 4.5 S3; power 4.5 S6, crew 27-22.5 on turrets; jump engines=none at present

So this tells us that for the Idris at almost 2X the weight you get the exact same propulsion as 4.5 Retaliators that means the retaliators are twice as fast. With maneuvering the disparity is even worse, 8 TR5z vs 27 TR4s+9TR3s+54 TR1s; so not only is it slow, it's sluggish. Ship to ship the Idris likely couldn't even target a Retaliator with is Railgun vs 22 S3 torpedoes. Fighter protection is miserable for the Idris 6 S3 manned guns and 4 S2 missiles vs 44 S1 manned guns, and 10 people have to do all that vs 27 on the Retaliators. So for $13 more, you get a lot less with an Idris than you do with 4.5 Retaliators. The only way it would survive such an encounter would be to warp out of there before the first wave of torpedoes hit!

Last edited:

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Did you take into account the fighters? The Talis would likely have their hands pretty full and wouldn't get to launch much at the Idris if they intended to survive the encounter.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I am still skeptical of how cap ship combat will work, when ships are insured. Unless Javs and Bengals take months to replace, how can there ever be anything like a real war?

I have heard what sounded like a plan that the larger a ship is, the longer it will take to respawn, but have not heard officially this is so.
The replace time can be speed up. TEST must take care that we have enough funds to speed up the respawn time.

For a week or two we might be able to get testies to babysit the ship, especially if we can give them something to do while on board
How much people are daily on discord not playing? Move the chatroom to the big ships. That way there always is somebody on board. People don't have to be bored, they are chatting ;)

Im not sure if you are serious or not...

But in case you are serious, we have over 25 Javelins and hundreds of Idris'.
Nope, and those numbers are only from the 400-500 people who are actually active right now, leaving another 9500 people we have not even spoken too yet.
think, calculate, math..:
500 people active, 25 Javelins, 20 : 1, one out of 20 people own a Javelin :cool:
500 people active, hundreds of Irdis, make that 200 for the math.... 2.5 : 1, one out of 2.5 people own an Irdis :eek:, I'm the other 1.5 people, I knew I was missing something in my hangar!!!!! (not that an Irdis would fit in a hangar :D)

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Did you take into account the fighters? The Talis would likely have their hands pretty full and wouldn't get to launch much at the Idris if they intended to survive the encounter.
Yeah, I did. The Idris has almost no fighter protection.
Fighter protection is miserable for the Idris 6 S3 manned guns and 4 S2 missiles vs 44 S1 manned guns, and 10 people have to do all that vs 27 on the Retaliators.

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
Not all of our Idris's and Javelins will be manned at the same time simply due to the amount of people we'd need to constantly be working on them at a time (roughly 5000 or even 10000 depending on how many we have). This means that we could keep them in the org hangar until ones destroyed and then replace it instantly instead of waiting. plus rallying 5,000 spacemen to hop aboard 100-150 ships is near impossible. This way we don't need to hurl millions (hell, even billions) of credits into a line of ships which won't be doing very much. however none of this doesn't really matter due to the fact that we will be taking in double the cost of maintaining our active ones every month or so

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
The 890Jump was 600 Dollars, and mentioned the fact that CIG a) has increased the price level significantly compared to 2015 or 2014 and b) the prices for military based ships usually are higher then civil ships - I'm still laughing at the 300 bucks for the Blade - I would bet on 800 Dollars at least for the Polaris.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The term you are looking for is an "instance".

The number of people in an instance will be somewhere around 50-100, but then you have multiple instances around each other.
Sorry my keyboard is broken.

Last I herd, instances limit the number of ships, not players; and presently limit to I6 ships. The intention is to drive that to 32 ships. IIUC, the inside of each ship is like its own instance, so not problem.

We need range specs on torpedoes. There is no point in doing tactical analysis without that data. With large ships that cannot evade, range is the prime driver for tactics.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I don't think we have enough info to make cogent battle plans, but would note that probably any assault on cap ships will be contingent upon EM Warfare. You need to sever the connection between the big ships and their fighter screens so the fighters don't know to kill incoming. Reuires several Sentinals or some such.

With the big ships you probably want to shoot from great range since you can still hit and not be hit. It will be very important to see how well the flack cannons work and at what range. Probably fighters attacking cap ships will not be able to strafe to avoid being hit because of the large radius flack cannons will hit at. They will need to fly defensive, probably in loops, and only fire for small portion of combat cycle, so short duty cycle, high range, high DPS weapons like the Mantis could be optimal.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?