The Running Comment Wall

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Maybe someday soon™ they will let your buddy follow you in a cargo ship and pickup saddle bags

Reactions: Ammorn

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Do we know of any plans in the works for them to let you dump the inert materials?
Not yet. The Prospector is eventually supposed to have a processor of sorts to get rid of 'some' of the tailings(inert materials) but not all of it allowing you to get more raw material but it hasn't been put in yet. The orion is supposed to have a full blown refinery onboard.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Yeah, they confirmed a filter at some point, Q&A maybe? I just know it's supposed to dump the useless crap out the back, which makes me wonder if we are going to end up with mining pariahs. Like you have someone who is down on their luck and doesn't have enough money to fix a broken mining laser but the tractor beam still works so they just follow other miners around and scoop up all their unwanted detritus to sell for whatever they can. I think I just envisioned space poverty.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
Yeah, they confirmed a filter at some point, Q&A maybe? I just know it's supposed to dump the useless crap out the back, which makes me wonder if we are going to end up with mining pariahs. Like you have someone who is down on their luck and doesn't have enough money to fix a broken mining laser but the tractor beam still works so they just follow other miners around and scoop up all their unwanted detritus to sell for whatever they can. I think I just envisioned space poverty.
They could just get a remanufactured mining laser from the company store on credit and work off the balance. They'd have to stay in company housing and buy food, fuel, and supplies from the company store though. If they work hard enough they'll be able to pay off their debts and work independently.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I think you've just answered what the tractor beams on the Cutlass and 315p are for.

Reactions: Bambooza and Ammorn

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Not yet. The Prospector is eventually supposed to have a processor of sorts to get rid of 'some' of the tailings(inert materials) but not all of it allowing you to get more raw material but it hasn't been put in yet. The orion is supposed to have a full blown refinery onboard.
This is debatable and CIG has not been very clear on what the Prospectors filter is for. I have a feeling that the inert materials is not something we can filter out but perhaps we can filter out ore that doesn't meet a specific concentration percent.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
This is debatable and CIG has not been very clear on what the Prospectors filter is for. I have a feeling that the inert materials is not something we can filter out but perhaps we can filter out ore that doesn't meet a specific concentration percent.
From the Q&A https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15319-Q-A-MISC-Prospector-Part-II:

Is the ore filtering the same refining technique that the Orion has, or just a first reduction step to do a coarse removal of useless rock?

The Prospector will only be removing things like useless rock, the processing equipment on the Orion is much more advanced.

Its a bit ambiguous but later on and I can't find the video but there was talk when 3.2 came out about this and they said the filter wouldn't get all of it but some of the inert stuff and filter it.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
It's an air filter to keep you from getting the black lung.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
And this is were I would caution you on your assumption. Useless rock does not equal inert materials, and while it is possible they will allow us to eject the inert material it could also be they allow us to eject rock that either does not have the ore we are looking for or has a % that is lower then we want.

If we look at the current implantation we see that the purple rocks we collect have a percent ore that in 3.3 fluctuates from each other (the broken bits are not uniform). I have a feeling they will continue this idea to the small rocks we are hoovering up and perhaps the filtering is at the collected rock level and not being able to eject the inert material.

If we are able to eject the inert material then there is no need for refining which really is the process of ejecting the inert material.

I have a feeling that what we will see is the small rocks we collect will all have their own percent gradient much like we see when we break up the larger rock and the filtering will be at this level.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
When it comes to mining, is there a much larger take in space vs planetside these days?

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
When it comes to mining, is there a much larger take in space vs planetside these days?
It varies. You have to hunt for good rocks that have high %s. I found an 8% copper rock that I fractured and was scooping good bits and then an AI ran into me.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
It will all be different once the Orion comes into play, Just being able to gorf up the whole rock at once, including a refinery will likely change up the field again.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
It will all be different once the Orion comes into play, Just being able to gorf up the whole rock at once, including a refinery will likely change up the field again.
Hoping for a mid size Constellation sized mining ship in the Anniversary sale. Probably won't happen but I can hope.

Forgot your password?