The Valkyrie Dropship--ready to fly?!!!

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
Interesting as I have my Tally for this kind of thing, fit a dropship bay and a cargo bay. It looks however as if the Valkyrie is better at both than the Tally.
I don't think the Valk has cargo plates, and I would think it probably won't get them. Also, the Retaliator might be stealthy. And the Retaliator can also bomb the area before the troop drop!

TBH, I think the Tali is the stealth winner here for your stated use case. We've effectively been promised a rework, and I bet we get upped turrets and two identical sized bomb bays to keep up with the power creep we've seen.

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
This guy is so right that if the notion of protecting gameplay balance requiress flying civilian cargo craft into combat zones, the notion is utterly broken. Troops require cargo
Counterpoint: None of his real world examples have near the equivalent firepower as the Valk.

And we have the Hercules and starfarer... At least one of which has military version(s). I mean, even a versatile c130 has a dedicated military version which would never be used for cargo. I can see that the intended purpose of the Valk might be to stay on station with its troops to provide dedicated fire support. And thus be close by when it's time to move to the next section of a planetary scale conflict. That being said, I suppose there may be a small military cargo roll missing... Hornet with cargo module? 🙃

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The arguments logic wise for no cargo make no sense. Instead they did not bother with that and waived the balance stick at it. <<< This stick does not apply evenly to all ships. I doubt its cargo capacity would be huge but maybe it would infringe to much on the caterpillar or something. Logically you could park a small truck in the back loaded with cargo though so its really silly.

It is a shame though with the current state of alpha the more versatile a ship the better. Especially for people who do not own lots of ships.

Last edited:

Vhexxus

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Vhexxus
That Redeemer is like a good wine, and Matures over time. IMO, the Nova has to be in play and rolling real gud....Then they can develop the redeemer to demolish those Tonks and other land dwelling machines and troops.

Oh and where are we "pilots" gonna find all these troops to dump on the ground? Can we hire cannon-fodder NPC GI's?

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Counterpoint: None of his real world examples have near the equivalent firepower as the Valk.
It's important when comparing game transports to real world transports, to note that in the real world, we don't fly armor. SC is presuming we can, so the closest real world troop transport to things like the Hoplite, Prowler, and Valk are not helicopters, but APCs. MV22's don't include guns becasue the brass don't want them in hot landing zones. Stykers do include guns because hot zones are what they're intended for.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Yeah but even there own rover takes like 4 scu? If I park that in the back it can have 4 scu but I cannot hold any in that empty space. Since there is not much to do in the alpha they are really hurting the sales I mean what is the point of flight ready if you cannot use the ship. If it was flyable in arena commander with a full crew against the bots that might even be good fun.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
I really like the Valk but without cargo capability it does not fit my intended style of play.

I think it ought to have between 48 and 96 SCU (comparing to Cutty and Connie) and if it gets that I will probably melt a thing or two to get one - but without cargo capability I won't get one.

In this case the balance hammer is being incorrectly applied IMO.

'Gimp

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Each of the 20 troops could carry a package for you. Problem solved, move along.
Yeah, someone's gotta check see what happens when you try to sit down in one of the troop chairs while holding a cargo crate. That could be a doable thing, and easy to check. My guess is oyu ca;'t use the seat while holding a crate, but who knows?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
There's no inertia - your passengers don't need to sit down.
I think they are restricting the gravity to the areas above the plates, so August has a good point. There is an artificial gravity generator, and it emits gravitons, but it doesn't create a force unless above the grav plates. The plates need pipes so if damaged in combat, sections of the artificial gravity will fail. But no gravity where there are no plates.

And of course if you have them you can turn them off.

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
SC is presuming we can, so the closest real world troop transport to things like the Hoplite, Prowler, and Valk are not helicopters, but APCs.
Now that's a good point! I do love how we end up mixing metaphors between ww2, real world ground, air, and naval combat here. What I was trying to get at was I thought all that firepower shouldn't be wasted away from the fight. To be clear, I think it would make sense for it to have cargo, but I can see the design philosophy wanting to preserve the roles of ships they've already sold and designed for that purpose.

In my mind you might see a 1-2 Hercules teamed up with 1-2 Valks. One herc bombs a zone clear, one Valk lands to secure the zone with troops, then that one takes off and provides overwatch while the cargo herc and the other Valk land. But that implies a scope of combined operations that's purely hypothetical at the moment.

Edit: I also was thinking that a Retaliator with a cargo module could also fill the VTOL cargo requirement, while also carrying some small amount of troops and being a "military" ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?