RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
As far as converting video games to an entertaining quality production for the screen,
the new Witcher show on Netflix is a gd damn masterpiece!
It released at midnight between Thursday-Friday Dec 20th,
I binged the whole show on Friday.
F-ing perfect.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80189685
https://www.netflix.com/watch/80189599
I'm 5/8 through, and so far there were only very few things I didn't like/enjoy. All in all it turned out way better than I expected, good show!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
My wife and I love the show. She is a huge GoT fan and loved the Witcher books. I hated GoT and could get past the opening in the books and the show after Jamie pushed Bran the broken from the widow in a song of ice and fire (or fire and ice, I forget). Yes, some episodes were ok, but....it was always something I detested a bit.
The Witcher for me is a better read and a better series. I can root for Geralt as a troubled hero and Yennefer as the conflicted heroine. It’s a crazy screwed up world, but there are good people in it...Jon Snow was mostly a good character, as was Ned Stark, but too many others who are not so good. The little sadist (Joffrey) was someone I absolutely detested, as were most of the Lannisters.

I would highly recommend

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
As far as converting video games to an entertaining quality production for the screen,
the new Witcher show on Netflix is a gd damn masterpiece!
It released at midnight between Thursday-Friday Dec 20th,
I binged the whole show on Friday.
F-ing perfect.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80189685
https://www.netflix.com/watch/80189599
I have just read the first 4 books in the last few months before the show came out and it made the experience 10x better for me. It followed the book pretty well. I am trying to finish all the books so I can watch the show and understand all the lore behind it. Then I will play the games or maybe just Witcher 3 after that. Glad you loved it too!

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I recently got Netflix for the first time. I just watched 5 episodes of Geralt in 2 days and 'OH NO' I have to wait until next year. This is a great series, the books are not to my taste, the games are OK, the series is very, very good, well-acted, written and the CGI is state of the art.

Luckily I am only on season 2 of breaking bad so still have some binge watching for the winter.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I recently got Netflix for the first time. I just watched 5 episodes of Geralt in 2 days and 'OH NO' I have to wait until next year. This is a great series, the books are not to my taste, the games are OK, the series is very, very good, well-acted, written and the CGI is state of the art.

Luckily I am only on season 2 of breaking bad so still have some binge watching for the winter.
From what I've heard, the Witcher show, season 3 should also be great, but season 4 might not turn out so well, as supposedly Henry Cavill has stated that he's leaving the show after season 3 for various reasons, but 1 of those is that supposedly several of the main writers & possibly directors don't like the books or games. Thus they have hired Liam Hemsworth to replace Henry in the role of Geralt. IF all of this is true, my question is, why would anybody hire somebody for a project like this that the person hates the source material?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
From what I've heard, the Witcher show, season 3 should also be great, but season 4 might not turn out so well, as supposedly Henry Cavill has stated that he's leaving the show after season 3 for various reasons, but 1 of those is that supposedly several of the main writers & possibly directors don't like the books or games. Thus they have hired Liam Hemsworth to replace Henry in the role of Geralt. IF all of this is true, my question is, why would anybody hire somebody for a project like this that the person hates the source material?
The answer is rather simple. They got chosen for how much they cost, identity politics, and nepotism. It has nothing to do with talent or passion for the work or anything like that. That's reality, that's why a huge amount of stuff coming out of Hollywood is unwatchable trash these days. Sometimes they manage to luck out and get the right ppl, regardless of any biological or ideological traits, who are passionate and talented about the subject material and they make good stuff (House of Dragon, Terminal List, The Boys, Edgerunners, all very recent and brilliant), but it's oh so rare.

If it weren't for Henry (who is a massive Geek) it would've been a horrible show with no resemblance to the excellent source material. Lucky for us, they had to listen to him on set, as they knew as much as we do that without him there is no Witcher show, just "generic fantasy series number3867". I expect S4 to be the end of it, both because of Cavill leaving, and because it's a Streaming service show. It only runs as long as it brings in subscriptions, and by that time it probably won't. Let's be honest, half the audience (yes ladies, you! and some others ofc) are watching this for Henry, not for the story. Those few who are hardcore fans of the books have already quit watching after the first couple of episodes.

Big H leaving is confirmed information, it has no ifs or buts. Check his instagram or twitter or just watch Black Adam to the very end. I heard it's not that bad as superhero movies go.
Henry Cavill is stepping down as the Witcher (I'm guessing he had a standard 3 season contract) because he is coming back as Superman, and he is already signed up for other stuff, like Mass Effect and some other game adaptation. Also probably because of the rumors that he was "hard to work with", as he wanted to portray Geralt as true to the source material as he could, instead of what the writers dreamt up.
Based on tweets and interviews by the showrunner it is very possible that the writers and directors didn't like (or more like actively disliked) the source materials, with her in the lead. She wanted to make her own agenda piece, and Henry wanted to make a Witcher show. This obviously led to issues.

In the end it doesn't really matter what they wanted and why they did it. What we got is decent enough but it has it's fair share of badly written moments as well. I'll watch S3 just to see how Henry tried to keep the wagon rolling, and I'll hopefully have a good time. (although I'll have a bottle of liquor ready, just in case the show turns into she-hulk levels of horrible)

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Now that Cavill's gone, the show's dead, Jim.

I blame it on the Showrunner and no one else. Even my wife was annoyed at the changes they made...especially to Yennifer's character. She doesn't game but has read the books.

Maybe David Benioff and DB Weiss can take over.....LOL.

Forgot your password?