Theaters of War should be going to Evocati soon!

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I don't get how people are hyped over this, I can get this anywhere and 10 times better, COD, APEX, FORTNITE, BATTLEFIELD, Player unknown, Overwatch, Destiny, Rainbow Six, GTA. The Division 2 and about 20 more on the way before 2020 is over, why are we hyped about a FPS battleground simulator and most likely a bugged to all hell broken one at that. Why cant we get more professions into the PU? What about the ships we bought 5 years ago? Seriously this is what their prioritizing? Meh!

Prison, Food and now a stupid FPS battleground..... and people are cheering this one.... :) It does not make sense to me, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop this year.
The devs have said that this FPS side game is a means for them to test and observe all the mechanics of combined arms gameplay. All these mechanics will be important in the PU. Just easier to take notes when you're working with a controlled, 'theme park' setting.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
The devs have said that this FPS side game is a means for them to test and observe all the mechanics of combined arms gameplay. All these mechanics will be important in the PU. Just easier to take notes when you're working with a controlled, 'theme park' setting.
Meh! :P In the whole scheme of the PU fps makes up a small part of it.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
THIS IS ALL I HAVE WANTED!!!! PLEASE MAKE IT WORTH IT!!!

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
I hope this is sarcasm lol.
no, it's not. Combined arms is my life. You don't have to be hyped for it. I am. tactical/strategic sci-fi large scale? This is my pie. If you don't want to do this kind of thing, that is fine, but it makes sense as this kind of gameplay will be in SQ42. Now I get not everyone is into this, great, don't mean you should go putting down parts of the game others really want to play. I'm not going to come over to salvage or rock raider when they get key gameplay added and be like, "stupid whatever..... and people are cheering this one...."

Reactions: Ayeteeone and BUTUZ

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf
ToW is with Evocati for some time already.
Think it was just done in rounds between bug fixing sprints.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
There are a lot of players who don't even like combat in the PU, I am one of those people, I don't dog fight, I don't bounty hunt, most of my time is spent helping other players, traveling, cargo etc... so to put so much emphasis on a space combat sim when most of the funding comes from people waiting for the PU is just really weird to me. When you watch the original kick starter CR talks about being able to do both SQ42 and the PU and he even says at one point you wont have to do SQ42 you can just jump into the PU, well at this rate sure you can jump into the PU its just nowhere near finish, buggy as hell and not much to do, so again, I get a little annoyed when SQ42 has become such a priority everything else has been pushed aside especially when most of the funding comes for stuff outside of SQ42.

• Mad
Reactions: Ayeteeone and sum1

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
There are a lot of players who don't even like combat in the PU, I am one of those people, I don't dog fight, I don't bounty hunt, most of my time is spent helping other players, traveling, cargo etc... so to put so much emphasis on a space combat sim when most of the funding comes from people waiting for the PU is just really weird to me. When you watch the original kick starter CR talks about being able to do both SQ42 and the PU and he even says at one point you wont have to do SQ42 you can just jump into the PU, well at this rate sure you can jump into the PU its just nowhere near finish, buggy as hell and not much to do, so again, I get a little annoyed when SQ42 has become such a priority everything else has been pushed aside especially when most of the funding comes for stuff outside of SQ42.
There are a lot of players who do like combat in the PU. look, I get where you are coming from, other things are not being pushed aside, go look at what is coming for salvage, p-2-p trading, and everything else. you are making a point of disparaging one part, that a LOT of people are hyped about just because you are not. That is really not cool man, you don't have to be hyped for combat, what's not cool is coming to a forum post about us being hyped for it and telling us not to be. look you have made it clear YOU are not hyped for it, cool. WE are. I think your claims are wrong, I mean the combat ships sell like hotcakes, the Javs sold in 30 seconds. If you have numbers braking down showing that most of the funding comes from none combat, make a post showing that otherwise, it's just conjecture on your part.

Look sorry if this is a little harsh, but it really bums me out when I see people shitting on what others like and are hyped about. that is all, please stop.

Reactions: Cugino83 and Tei

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
There are a lot of players who do like combat in the PU. look, I get where you are coming from, other things are not being pushed aside, go look at what is coming for salvage, p-2-p trading, and everything else. you are making a point of disparaging one part, that a LOT of people are hyped about just because you are not. That is really not cool man, you don't have to be hyped for combat, what's not cool is coming to a forum post about us being hyped for it and telling us not to be. look you have made it clear YOU are not hyped for it, cool. WE are. I think your claims are wrong, I mean the combat ships sell like hotcakes, the Javs sold in 30 seconds. If you have numbers braking down showing that most of the funding comes from none combat, make a post showing that otherwise, it's just conjecture on your part.

Look sorry if this is a little harsh, but it really bums me out when I see people shitting on what others like and are hyped about. that is all, please stop.
I am not debating that a lot of people like the FPS combat, I agree tons of people do, look at Fortnite, Apex, COD warfare, they make MILLIONS on brainless easy to pump out battle ground systems tied to microtransactions and to me this is exactly why CIG put this out, they knew it would make a lot of people happy and forget the whole point of the game lol. Its a huge marketing advantage to tap into that genre, I can almost guarantee the sales of ground vehicles, armor and guns will triple in the first month.

My disagreement is that those people did not invest into a game based on FPS combat, WE invested into a PU MMO/RPG/Space sim, seriously when SQ42 drops if it ever drops at this rate, the PU will not be done and contradicts their own statements from the beginning. Again as someone who has thousands of dollars into this game and time and time again watch the things I invested in get dropped, pushed aside or just forgotten it gets annoying, especially when you see shit like prison systems, survival systems and now a battle ground system being tossed into the game, none of which were even a blink on the radar when I bought into this game lol.

This isn't about selling capital ships, this thread was specifically talking about FPS combat, it does no good to argue about selling ships, that's clearly the one area CIG has gotten down pat, wish they could spend that money and make the game playable.

• Mad
Reactions: sum1

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I am not debating that a lot of people like the FPS combat, I agree tons of people do, look at Fortnite, Apex, COD warfare, they make MILLIONS on brainless easy to pump out battle ground systems tied to microtransactions and to me this is exactly why CIG put this out, they knew it would make a lot of people happy and forget the whole point of the game lol. Its a huge marketing advantage to tap into that genre, I can almost guarantee the sales of ground vehicles, armor and guns will triple in the first month.

My disagreement is that those people did not invest into a game based on FPS combat, WE invested into a PU MMO/RPG/Space sim, seriously when SQ42 drops if it ever drops at this rate, the PU will not be done and contradicts their own statements from the beginning. Again as someone who has thousands of dollars into this game and time and time again watch the things I invested in get dropped, pushed aside or just forgotten it gets annoying, especially when you see shit like prison systems, survival systems and now a battle ground system being tossed into the game, none of which were even a blink on the radar when I bought into this game lol.

This isn't about selling capital ships, this thread was specifically talking about FPS combat, it does no good to argue about selling ships, that's clearly the one area CIG has gotten down pat, wish they could spend that money and make the game playable.
There are plenty of backers who did not invest in the Trading systems. Same with mining, same with scrap. Caves too. Or planet and moon surfaces for the caves to be on, if you pledged early enough... Almost all backers put their money in with their own vision of what it was going to become. I can guarantee you not one of them put their cash in with all those things in mind, even if their first pledge was yesterday.

There is plenty of game which you can enjoy without touching on what they are enjoying, and plenty of game they can enjoy without touching on what you are enjoying.

I'm not into FPS or vehicle to vehicle combat. I go walkabout. I'm not pumped for ToW just as I wasn't pumped for Star Marine, but I don't feel robbed. My bits are what I'll enjoy, their bits are what they will enjoy, I don't expect everyone to enjoy playing with my bits and I don't think everyone will expect me to enjoy playing with their bits.

Think of SC less of a single flavor offering at a hot dog stand and more of a menu in a restaurant: Would you tell someone their choice at a restaurant was invalid and the kitchen was wasting your money by offering it for them to enjoy?

Remember, they paid looking at the thing on the menu they like, just as you paid for the thing on the menu you liked - and sometimes they've paid more than you have, too (not that the amount a backer has pledged matters). Are you subsidizing their mechanics, or are those backers subsidizing yours? In reality it doesn't matter, the restaurant cooks up the meals and we all enjoy.

when SQ42 drops if it ever drops at this rate, the PU will not be done and contradicts their own statements from the beginning.
I've not seen any statements saying the PU will be done before S42, however was under the impression S42 was going to be done before the PU but can't recall where from it's just the impression I've had all along...

Do you have any links to where they said the MMO was going to be finished before the single player?

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I backed Star Citizen for epic fleet combat

I see Theatre of War as an extension of that

that said, what I haven't seen yet are any game mechanics that promote inter-org fights

what is going to drive conflict in SC?

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Phil, I think its time you go back and rewatch the original Kickstarter video.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

the Prison system is honestly a great way to combat the more toxic elements of a community while still staying within the initial pitch of an immersive universe. The survival system is another element of the emersion and while it's questionable how fun of a game element it will be it does impact traders and explorers who will need to take it into consideration and not just do I have enough fuel. Combat has always been a key component of the pitch as was shown in the introduction of the hornet and the conflict with the Vanduul as well as a big part of previous titles.

Given the PVP elements are going to be a critical aspect of the game's longevity I am glad they are taking the time to break out small sections of the game to create test beds to allow for fine-tuning of game elements that would be difficult to do within the larger game. It started with Arena commander allowing a focus on the dogfighting elements of the game and a log of balances passes have come from it. And now they are breaking out the combined arms and creating a testbed to allow focus testing on how overall combat will be which will lead to a far more balanced and satisfying PVP experience with in the verse. And it's not like they are taking a huge chunk of the development staff to create this testbed as they last said it was less than 10 people.

So combat is a large part of this game be it against NPC's or other players even if you are attempting to go out mining, exploring, or trading I cannot imagine they will leave you be as we already have seen how aggressive NPC pirates interdiction is.

• Love
Reactions: sum1 and Aramsolari

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Same things that drive conflicts in the real world I suppose. Competition for resources and territory? I imagine orgs will fight over the best trading routes, the richest mining spots, etc.

Also Montoya wants his Bengal and I suppose we'll have to fight for that. lol

Reactions: Bambooza

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1

look you can try to justify it all you want. here is my point. You have made it VERY clear you are not happy about this, I am VERY happy about ToW coming to the game. This is not the place to keep complaining about it. I want to be hyped for this, you are a raincloud right now. you have made 5 posts on this one topic telling US how much you hate it, and even saying, "I hope this is sarcasm lol." when I say how hyped I am for it. I understand your complaints, you have made them VERY clear. guess what? I'm still hyped, so PLEASE STOP trying to tell me why I should/shouldn't be hyped about. You have said ALL you need to say on this topic, now please stop and let us that are happy for it to be happy. because right now you seem to be trying to drag others down to be miserable with you. I really hope you don't realize that is what you are doing. because ignorance can be excused.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Same things that drive conflicts in the real world I suppose. Competition for resources and territory?
Check out some of the Lore, it's starting to get the potential of being a bit of a tinder-box. Trade disputes, racial bias and persecution, species bias and persecution, political ideological disputes....

People have gone to wars for a lot less/more than resources and territory, look at the US civil war between pro slave and no slave, look at the UK civil war between monarchy and no monarchy.... admit it, if someone insults the Glorious Leader we'll be taking up arms to defend his honor, especially if it's by those spreadsheet lovin' squares from ADI 😉

Forgot your password?