Theory Crafting - Mustang Delta Planetary CAS

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
So ever since the 3.0 demo I been doing a lot of thinking about planetary combat like we seen on the pirate moon. CR himself even said different ships like the Gladius will even be able to handle smoother than its other fighter counter parts due to its frame and structure being suitable for atmospheric flight. Ships like the current Hornet,Gladiator, Freelancer and several others would be like trying to fly brick on a planet only being able to do the basic of maneuvers.

So I started thinking about ships that would be able to excel at Air to Air and Air to Ground missions and one of them came to mind, the Mustang Delta. The Mustang Delta might not be the top dog in space combat going up against ships like the Super Hornet, Sabre and larger Multi crew vessels, But it just might be the perfect ship for that ground team of marines on the battlefield and here is why,

+ It's Small
+ It's Speed
+ Size 2 shield being able to deal with the S1 guns on the URSA and current hand held firearms
+ Invisibility cloak armor
+ Room for a few marines
+ 2 Size gun slots
+ 2 turret mounted size 1 guns
+ 36 FFAR ROCKETS

The Mustang Delta is now the official MH6 Little Bird of star citizen

So anyone else got some ideas for CAS or planetary fighters in 3.0?

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I dont know what ya'll are talking about with these dinky CAS ships. Gotta do it like Uncle Sam did in 'Nam and blanket the area with fuel pods dropped from a starfarer. I LOVE the smell of napalm in the morning!

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
I kinda had a similar idea. The Delta is wickedly quick, but when put up against bigger fighters it might as well be made of tissues. But after spending some time with it, and seeing the 3.0 reveal, I started to see it as more of an Apache gunship.

Reactions: marcsand2

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
Look into rapid strike fighters out of the 300 Series - Can get a nice big chain gun under the nose, couple of missiles to deal with hardpoints, and space for a couple of blokes to chill in the back.

Other options include the Avenger - though having a redeemer holding 700m off the deck would be pretty impressive :D

makute

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
VishMainha
You could totally fit 2-3 guys in behind that seat. Wont be comfortable, but meh.
I don't think so.

As it was shown in the Jump Point #20, IIRC, the space behind the pilot seat in the Delta is an ammo storage. And as marcsand2 said, the armor addon just decreases the IR and CS signature.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
right now there is no fall damage. I say that as far as marines go, load a freelancer to the brim with marines. come in low and fast, open the rear door and as you skim the ground they run out. Fast, efficient, deadly. Those size 5 guns in front would supply more than adequate cover fire to support them

Forgot your password?