Titan Armor Information & Discussion/Theory - Titans Are Coming!

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
As you all know from Discord, here, etc my next hype is the Titan Armor, or Titan Suit if you prefer. So I'm doing a little fishing atm and trying to get all the info and pics I can find in one place. But why do I want it so much? Because of this first bit of info below: "Originally built for industrial purposes". I easily see this being a substitute for a ROC inside a large cave if one of the arms mounts a S0 laser, or perhaps even a small laser on the arm gauntlet for FPM. For other applications it could be used to life large boxes. It could even be used to help salvage ships in space. You'd just need a cutting laser in one arm and a claw for the other and maybe some kind of backpack. It has loads of potential. Not to say I wouldn't relish the chance to get in one for combat in a supporting role. MMMMM, heavy support. DROOOLS But thats beside the point.

Known Information:

From the Sq42 Roadmap(yes I know its out of date):

Creation of the Titan exosuit. Originally built for industrial purposes, it has expanded to military and combat operations as well. Though it will exist in the PU, this version will have elements specific to Squadron 42. Aside from the art and animation involved in creating the Titan, this task will cover the design work needed to build the suit functionality and balance it in a combat space.
From the Retaliator Modules page. Keep in mind this was 2015. Emphasis mine.

The Future
There are more Retaliator modules in the pipeline! As the mechanics behind various persistent universe roles begin to take their final form, we will be developing additional modules to support different jobs. These include cryo-stasis pods for bounty hunters, medical equipment, recharging stations for Titan armor, salvage equipment and more. Stay tuned—your ships are getting more versatile!
Now this is interesting because it implies the Suits don't run on a reactor of some kind but batteries which need to be recharged in some way. Or perhaps as has been suggested they require some kind of fuel.

From RSI about space suit classes:

– Full blown mech suit. Somewhere between a space suit and the power loader from Alien. These repair the outsides of large ships, move heavy objects in hangars, etc.
Pictures:

^ this one shows possible modularity. Seems to be an older design though.

Best looking one imo^

Last edited:

Gotin

Commander
Aug 30, 2020
RSI Handle
Gotin and Alia
Not a huge fan of the feet or the reversed leg joints in general, at least not when done at this angle. There have been some cool designs that make use of them like a lot of the Clan mechs from Battletech and I guess we could throw in the Gerwalk/Guardian modes in Macross/Robotech....but this just looks, I dunno, a little off somehow.

Also, bear in mind that "recharge" can also mean refuel especially when dealing with gaseous systems. So maybe it'll just run on hydrogen like everything else and the recharge stations are akin to what we refill our ships with.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Not a huge fan of the feet or the reversed leg joints in general, at least not when done at this angle. There have been some cool designs that make use of them like a lot of the Clan mechs from Battletech and I guess we could throw in the Gerwalk/Guardian modes in Macross/Robotech....but this just looks, I dunno, a little off somehow.
Reversed leg joins have higher stability overall. I don't mind the design choice personally as long as the legs arn't skinny.

Also, bear in mind that "recharge" can also mean refuel especially when dealing with gaseous systems. So maybe it'll just run on hydrogen like everything else and the recharge stations are akin to what we refill our ships with.
I didn't think about this. Hope you're right!

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
As you all know from Discord, here, etc my next hype is the Titan Armor, or Titan Suit if you prefer. So I'm doing a little fishing atm and trying to get all the info and pics I can find in one place. But why do I want it so much? Because of this first bit of info below: "Originally built for industrial purposes". I easily see this being a substitute for a ROC inside a large cave if one of the arms mounts a S0 laser, or perhaps even a small laser on the arm gauntlet for FPM. For other applications it could be used to life large boxes. It could even be used to help salvage ships in space. You'd just need a cutting laser in one arm and a claw for the other and maybe some kind of backpack. It has loads of potential. Not to say I wouldn't relish the chance to get in one for combat in a supporting role. MMMMM, heavy support. DROOOLS But thats beside the point.

Known Information:

From the Sq42 Roadmap(yes I know its out of date):

From the Retaliator Modules page. Keep in mind this was 2015. Emphasis mine.

Now this is interesting because it implies the Suits don't run on a reactor of some kind but batteries which need to be recharged in some way.

From RSI about space suit classes:

Pictures:

^ this one shows possible modularity. Seems to be an older design though.

Best looking one imo^
But can it run Crysis?

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I easily see this being a substitute for a ROC inside a large cave if one of the arms mounts a S0 laser, or perhaps even a small laser on the arm gauntlet for FPM.
I agree... there could be many uses for the Titan Armor... that said it should not be a substitute for traditional armor, unless your goal is to remove traditional armor as part of the fps game play. Maybe make it hard to maneuver etc when playing fps. I think it would be a great replacement/compliment to the ROC, salvaging, and building etc. I'd steer clear of using it for fps because it makes obsolete traditional armor unless CIGs goal is to commit to making variations of the titan armor - like light, medium and heavy - everyone doing fps will use it. So, make it bulky, slow, and not the fps go to armor. I would say this is an item that should be introduced way down the road for fps... first person mining and salvaging - do it now. These mechanics have been proven with other games - normally this type of armor is used toward the end of the game, not the beginning of the game. My two cents.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I would love to see Titan suits in some serious Zero-G combat uses. Imagine using these guys to board and overpower the crew of a capital ship. Walk on the external hull, fight outside and all that. I suppose it'll have to be capital ships as they're the only ones with large enough corridors!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I agree... there could be many uses for the Titan Armor... that said it should not be a substitute for traditional armor, unless your goal is to remove traditional armor as part of the fps game play. Maybe make it hard to maneuver etc when playing fps. I think it would be a great replacement/compliment to the ROC, salvaging, and building etc. I'd steer clear of using it for fps because it makes obsolete traditional armor unless CIGs goal is to commit to making variations of the titan armor - like light, medium and heavy - everyone doing fps will use it. So, make it bulky, slow, and not the fps go to armor. I would say this is an item that should be introduced way down the road for fps... first person mining and salvaging - do it now. These mechanics have been proven with other games - normally this type of armor is used toward the end of the game, not the beginning of the game. My two cents.
Very good point!
I'd guess it should be big enough not to fit through most ships and caves so it would be usable on planet surfaces mostly. It would limit it's use enough so normal armor is still viable.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I'm not a fan of the rever joint of this concepts: I like the style don't get me vrong, but this is a human model (I've never found any statement that indicate some alien collaboration in it), so that knee are a bit ut of place for a human like armor... is not in our style.

About he balance for the FPS I don0't think there to warry about it: first of all those suite will be big, really big, like 3.5m tall, so they won't fit into a ship corridor, and even in most cargo bay they should have some problem. For the same reasons they'll be hard to deploy so bringing an entire fight squad will be hard, you'll not be able to drop them aout of a Prowler or even from a Valkyrie I think, You'll need a Starlifter to that, not a really capable drop ship for my point of view.
Finally thare is a locomotion problem: I don't see those suite be able to jump, crunch or sneake on the belly, thoise will be a direct support "vehicles" for ground forces, not the main attack force, and I also suspect that those suite will be tagetable from the ship systems, like byke already are, so you don't won't them near your troop unless you'll be able to provide a good degree of air superiority or you'll create a good targheting sop for missile and also ship weapons and turret (Redeemer S5 turret does right some bell about it???).

Of course those suite will create an unbalace for PFS game play, but this is a thing even right now: how about one force deploy some URSA on the ground and the op-for only have P4-AR weapon? And note thet I'll expect ground vehicles to be much faster then those suites.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
It'd be pretty sweet if the suit was actually designed to fit through the most common cargo doors. Like at least things you can drive through with Ursa, preferably even a bit smaller doors.
I'd be fine with the suit having some secondary mode that made it slightly shorter, kinda like when you have to pack the turret on Ursa to make it fit in Starfarer (which actually is pretty cool).
rail.png

That kinda seems like it could be a rail, shortening it from the legs. Could be just for storage / picking up the pilot, but I'd kinda hope you'd maintain some mobility in this mode, even if it's 25% speed, so you could walk the suit into storage without using a space forklift.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I would love to see Titan suits in some serious Zero-G combat uses. Imagine using these guys to board and overpower the crew of a capital ship. Walk on the external hull, fight outside and all that. I suppose it'll have to be capital ships as they're the only ones with large enough corridors!
Cutting right there the bridge windows on an Idris or Jav. Mwaahaha
Or to pop the tops on kegs for some power drinking during TEST events. Cheers!
Daaaaaaaaammmn. Good thinking my friend!

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Respectfully I disagree with the premise that when it comes ingame, it'll immediately be the winner and make other armor obsolete.

Just from the pictures we can infer a few things:

1. Its big, very big. ~1/3more the height of a human and 2-3x the width without weaponry. Most doors in SC may be wide enough but not tall enough to accommodate which would limit its access into buildings and ships. It would be restricted to cargo areas in ships or outdoors. Its size is its main drawback. It can't take advantage of most cover and probably can't go very fast. It wouldn't be able to react like a normal suited person would and be more clumsy to wield its weapons at new targets that pop up around it.

2. We already have the weapons to take it down. We have railguns, missile launchers, now a grenade launcher. All of which can be used quickly and effectively if the Titan is distracted for a moment.

3. It has limited life. From the above, it either has to be recharged or maybe refueled in some fashion to function. A player may be able to just outrun it or hide as long as they arn't in an open field.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Respectfully I disagree with the premise that when it comes ingame, it'll immediately be the winner and make other armor obsolete.

Just from the pictures we can infer a few things:

1. Its big, very big. ~1/3more the height of a human and 2-3x the width without weaponry. Most doors in SC may be wide enough but not tall enough to accommodate which would limit its access into buildings and ships. It would be restricted to cargo areas in ships or outdoors. Its size is its main drawback. It can't take advantage of most cover and probably can't go very fast. It wouldn't be able to react like a normal suited person would and be more clumsy to wield its weapons at new targets that pop up around it.

2. We already have the weapons to take it down. We have railguns, missile launchers, now a grenade launcher. All of which can be used quickly and effectively if the Titan is distracted for a moment.

3. It has limited life. From the above, it either has to be recharged or maybe refueled in some fashion to function. A player may be able to just outrun it or hide as long as they arn't in an open field.
If it becomes too OP, CIG might give us some sort of deployable EMP device / grenade.

Gotin

Commander
Aug 30, 2020
RSI Handle
Gotin and Alia
I'm not a fan of the rever joint of this concepts: I like the style don't get me vrong, but this is a human model (I've never found any statement that indicate some alien collaboration in it), so that knee are a bit ut of place for a human like armor... is not in our style.

About he balance for the FPS I don0't think there to warry about it: first of all those suite will be big, really big, like 3.5m tall, so they won't fit into a ship corridor, and even in most cargo bay they should have some problem. For the same reasons they'll be hard to deploy so bringing an entire fight squad will be hard, you'll not be able to drop them aout of a Prowler or even from a Valkyrie I think, You'll need a Starlifter to that, not a really capable drop ship for my point of view.
Finally thare is a locomotion problem: I don't see those suite be able to jump, crunch or sneake on the belly, thoise will be a direct support "vehicles" for ground forces, not the main attack force, and I also suspect that those suite will be tagetable from the ship systems, like byke already are, so you don't won't them near your troop unless you'll be able to provide a good degree of air superiority or you'll create a good targheting sop for missile and also ship weapons and turret (Redeemer S5 turret does right some bell about it???).

Of course those suite will create an unbalace for PFS game play, but this is a thing even right now: how about one force deploy some URSA on the ground and the op-for only have P4-AR weapon? And note thet I'll expect ground vehicles to be much faster then those suites.

Tanks....you're describing main battle tanks. And that's kind of what this would be IMO so it would totally fit. It'll be more like the mechs in Battletech than Macross or Gundam. And that means it >should< be normal infantry's worst nightmare. Sure they CAN take one down but it's really tough and super risky. Even in today's world the MBT is still a meat grinder for infantry unless they have something like a Javelin and that's an ambush weapon that should be deployed from way out. And in other IP's like Battletech infantry could work against the mechs but had to be special units trained and equipped for it and even then it was super risky.

In SC I think that railguns would be the best AT weapon for these things. Ablative armor would be the only thing that could help with that and it would add mass.

Even though the design seems to not lend itself to combat maybe they'll make revisions or a specific model just for combat later. Right now it looks too cumbersome and has far too wide of a target profile.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Ape Marauder and Chicken hawk Marauders from "Roughnecks" and Marauder MkII from Starship Troopers Invasion.

But if you want to fit down a hallway, then there is only one. Imperial Marine Tactical Drednought Armor, aka Terminator Armor.

Attachments

Forgot your password?