TMG - STAR CITIZEN DRAMA - First episode!

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
The RS drama had nothing to do with Lag Switching. Lag switching is not possible in Star Citizen.
This is NOT TRUE,

I watched a video from a network guy explaining options CIG could have used for improving the communication technology (I can't find it and it's driving me nuts) including halving the refresh rate speed of the connections to improve lag issues. The way the servers works as a center of communication, you can DELAY your responses to the server which update where your location has changed to. That is what the "benefit" of lag switching is. To delay your response and get your opponent's response earlier. Pro gamers, with 144hz, have a huge advantage over a gamer with only 60hz response time to game off of, this same concept applies to why people lag switch. Lag switching, or delaying your response to server, is a real thing and is possible AFAIK in nearly every game including those with dedicated hosting. Which is what Star Citizen essentially is, servers HOST the player interaction. And you can increase your response times to maybe something like 500ms+ on all dedicated hosts unless they're programed to deal with that. This is all to best of my memory of how these things work.

@Karab I think you're way more knowledgeable about server tech, could you weigh in please?

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
This is NOT TRUE,

I watched a video from a network guy explaining options CIG could have used for improving the communication technology (I can't find it and it's driving me nuts) including halving the refresh rate speed of the connections to improve lag issues. The way the servers works as a center of communication, you can DELAY your responses to the server which update where your location has changed to. That is what the "benefit" of lag switching is. To delay your response and get your opponent's response earlier. Pro gamers, with 144hz, have a huge advantage over a gamer with only 60hz response time to game off of, this same concept applies to why people lag switch. Lag switching, or delaying your response to server, is a real thing and is possible AFAIK in nearly every game including those with dedicated hosting. Which is what Star Citizen essentially is, servers HOST the player interaction. And you can increase your response times to maybe something like 500ms+ on all dedicated hosts unless they're programed to deal with that. This is all to best of my memory of how these things work.

@Karab I think you're way more knowledgeable about server tech, could you weigh in please?

Yes lag switching is very real thing and exist sadly...
Lag switching is a mechanical hardware hack for those who think it work with software is just getting duped..

Buy opening the network cable cutting it open revealing the inner cable you cut the cable that do the return data stream/call to server and put a ON/OFF switch there, the nasty one put it to a on/off on a controller they're using for fast action .
Then when you want to lag prevent the other to see your real location in a game you hit the switch a brief moment couple sec or so, then on your screen every one in game seem to be frozen or moving really slow motion.
So no you can easy shoot them then release the switch and game get updated and your opponent dies and don't have a clue how it happen since they think they shoot you or they didn't even see you..
Hence LAG SWITCH..

A very nasty cheating used by some low life player..

This is a video where one is spectating in on a player doing lag switching

OBS! the guy who posted it is not the one playing OK!

I know for shore at this time if you get caught using lag switch on Ubisoft, Steam... your account will get closed no matter how many games you bought and seem like most other game companies are following this trend.

DO NOT DO THIS!!

CHEERS! :beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The RS drama had nothing to do with Lag Switching. Lag switching is not possible in Star Citizen.
Partially true on the first one.

Wrong on the second one.

RS got some bad reputation as an org. Ask any Evocati what they think about RS members.

Thing is, not everybody in RS is a terrible person, most of them are very nice!

This split between good and bad apples is what caused the org restructuring they just had.

As for the second point on lag switching:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWQbS0gW26k

NotMalen

Lieutenant
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Malen
Partially true on the first one.

Wrong on the second one.

RS got some bad reputation as an org. Ask any Evocati what they think about RS members.

Thing is, not everybody in RS is a terrible person, most of them are very nice!

This split between good and bad apples is what caused the org restructuring they just had.

As for the second point on lag switching:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWQbS0gW26k
I was there. This drama had nothing to do with lag switches or cheating. It had everything to do with a number of members being dissatisfied with the management of the squadron and disagreements between individuals in the squadron.

As for the video, Renegade Squadron has worked closely with CIG to get a number of actual cheaters banned. That video is a hit piece, anyone with the full story knows it. Renegade is a lot of things, but they aren't cheaters. But what would I know, I'm not a member anymore.

Soundwave-SW

Admiral
Oct 31, 2016
RSI Handle
Soundwave-SW
I was there. This drama had nothing to do with lag switches or cheating. It had everything to do with a number of members being dissatisfied with the management of the squadron and disagreements between individuals in the squadron.

As for the video, Renegade Squadron has worked closely with CIG to get a number of actual cheaters banned. That video is a hit piece, anyone with the full story knows it. Renegade is a lot of things, but they aren't cheaters. But what would I know, I'm not a member anymore.
NotMalen is correct.

MurgenTemplar

Grand Admiral
Oct 31, 2016
RSI Handle
Murgentemplar
This is NOT TRUE,

I agree with you. X-Wing Alliance had an extreme form of this because there was no central server. One of the player acted as host and as a result each pvp match for competitions (Week of War, European Fighter League) was hosted 5 minutes on player 1 and 5 minutes on player 2. In 2v2 and max 4v4 we usually selected the player with the best connection.

Here comes the trick. The players who were aware of this adjusted their style and shoot ahead ... they figured out that by shooting before the actual target they would get a hit (nicked Ghost hit). I also knew players (and bear with me, this was the time of 28k and 56k modems) deliberately created as much lag as possible by opening Kazaa peer-to-peer and so one, during games. He never won but was also hard to hit. He was too laggy for ghost hits.

So, it is an old problem.

Forgot your password?