To those that used to play Eve Online

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Not sure how you can compare them... Eve is like a third person arcade game, where star citizen is like a first person shooter and flight simulator. Disclosure - playing eve from 2004 to 2012 off and on I finally got fed up with the community, not the game - I'd play for one or two months then leave and come back in 6 months until I got bored again. Yes, eve from a macro perspective, is very strategic with micro grinding. It has depth, lots of it and can be a blast 10% of the time other than that people keep their accounts open to just level their characters. Seemed like a racket to me, having to wait a year to fly a large ship (generally speaking). I fully expect the Eve trolls to let me have it, but thats eve.

Reactions: Michael and Ammorn

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Not sure how you can compare them... Eve is like a third person arcade game, where star citizen is like a first person shooter and flight simulator. Disclosure - playing eve from 2004 to 2012 off and on I finally got fed up with the community, not the game - I'd play for one or two months then leave and come back in 6 months until I got bored again. Yes, eve from a macro perspective, is very strategic with micro grinding. It has depth, lots of it and can be a blast 10% of the time other than that people keep their accounts open to just level their characters. Seemed like a racket to me, having to wait a year to fly a large ship (generally speaking). I fully expect the Eve trolls to let me have it, but thats eve.
Wut?

I wasn't even comparing the games in that way but instead the waiting time for 3.0 to the waiting time training skills in Eve.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Reactions: Michael and Ammorn

Edgewise

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Edgewise-SJ
Waiting for skills in Eve was really annoying. Waiting for SC to go live is more interesting watching how they are crafting this game together. Looking back at the early AC to now, it's a completely different experience. It's actually kinda hard to have a clear image of what the game will end up being in the end. But it seems clear enough that it will be something I will enjoy, probably more than I ever enjoyed Eve. The fact that you needed to train your account for a couple years to be able to play seriously in combat was imo very annoying.

I quit playing Eve around 2008 or so because people took the game so seriously, worried about meta-gaming and spies etc that it wasn't even a game anymore. I don't think most people were actually having fun most of the time. Eve seemed to turn into a game where you basically were just doing your best to troll/rip-off/annoy/kill all the non-allied players you encountered. I also enjoyed the killing in 0.0 space, but it got old and stale when I could just play an FPS game which was more skill based and instantly get into the fight, kill, die, then repeat.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
we will have Alpha 3.0 before Eve has Walking in Stations

the delays to Star Citizen are because the devs are taking the time and effort to build a maintainable and flexible code base

the breadth and scope of the Persistent Universe will be worth the wait

the reason Eve's devs haven't fixed all their glaring issues is that they are limited by their foundation of spaghetti code

Eve is revolutionary for its player-driven, emergent gameplay and its single-shard universe but its code base can't be upgraded to take advantage of modern hardware and network architectures

tl;dr
I am patient for Star Citizen for different reasons than I was patient with Eve

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Left Eve because of some fundamental game flaws, had two accounts i think something around 135 and 80 Mio SP. In the end the game felt like a big grind but i think it tought me patience. But no i don't think we can compare this time of waiting with SC time of waiting for release, which is forme currently just watching some YT Videos, reddit and test forum (i usally avoid this toxic place spectrum sometimes is). Waiting in Eve was still more like you could acutually play the game, but i felt the need to regularly grind myself through the saem stuff over and over again.

Reactions: Ammorn

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
EVE helped train my patience by learning to wait for those skills to train. I can totally relate to waiting for level 5 skills to train to waiting for 3.0 to come out.

Yes, Star Citizen is the space game I wanted and pictured when I heard about EVE. A space MMO where you fly spaceships in a big sandbox and can pirate people and so forth. I wanted to be able to walk in my ship and board another. It's funny that I was one of the people attacking the Jita monument in protest after the captains quarters release. The guy that told me what was going on only said they were stopping development on ships and ship mechanics, not that they were worried that development of the captains quarters tech was taking away from development in other areas. I loved the concept of walking in stations and hoped that they'd carry that over to ships too.

I just hope that the Star Citizen community doesn't get as bad as EVE's with everyone taking things so seriously and aggressively. I know there's plenty of people out there that just want to kill and troll for that to never really go away, not that I want that potential to be completely removed, I just hope that there's big enough penalties and police with the reputation and criminal status system to remove that from carebear space, but allow people to maim kill burn in wild space.

Reactions: Michael

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Never played EVE myself but used to be on a non-game related forum with a guy it turned out helped spear-headed the destruction of some player or other, their titan and the whole org as a result.

He said he stopped playing soon after that - there was not point. "What is there to do when you have done everything?"

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
At least with the skills in the cooker you know how long till they're done.

If I'm training HAC V or something and it says "complete in 18 days" and I come back 18 days later and it says "complete Soon(tm) IDK lol" then that's when people would start throwing things.

Reactions: Ammorn and Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
At least with the skills in the cooker you know how long till they're done.

If I'm training HAC V or something and it says "complete in 18 days" and I come back 18 days later and it says "complete Soon(tm) IDK lol" then that's when people would start throwing things.
Oh that would be priceless... wait isn't that what we get with SC?

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I would say the biggest difference is that in EvE, once you got the point where you would even want to start training cap ship prof, you already had dozens of other skills to support it and had a lot of other things to do while you waited. Whereas with SC, it's like we've only gotten the learning skills completed and are waiting on "Frigates II" so we can get into something slightly more fun, but still not what we really want to do.

Sure, you spend a lot of time waiting to pilot the cap ship, but you at least have a lot more to do, comparatively speaking, then we've gotten in SC given how long we've waited.

Reactions: maynard

Irishnutcase

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Irishnutcase

the delays to Star Citizen are because the devs are taking the time and effort to build a maintainable and flexible code base

the breadth and scope of the Persistent Universe will be worth the wait

the reason Eve's devs haven't fixed all their glaring issues is that they are limited by their foundation of spaghetti code

Eve is revolutionary for its player-driven, emergent gameplay and its single-shard universe but its code base can't be upgraded to take advantage of modern hardware and network architectures

tl;dr
I am patient for Star Citizen for different reasons than I was patient with Eve
I think the nail in the coffin for killing walk in stations for eve died whenever they (CCP) pulled out the netcode/framework whatever it's called out of the game.I think it was this or last year.

Reactions: Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I think the nail in the coffin for killing walk in stations for eve died whenever they (CCP) pulled out the netcode/framework whatever it's called out of the game.I think it was this or last year.
Believe it was last year and I fear your right.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Waiting for SC to go live is more interesting watching how they are crafting this game together.
I played Eve for a few weeks and noted the social interactions were going to ruin the game so I moved on. I'm very interested to see how to avoid this in SC. I think Montoya's wisdom in this quite profound. He does what he does for the best reasons and if there is any way to avoid trolls, spies and betrayals ruining this game, I think Montoya will find it.

I don't have SC loaded as my machine can't handle it and I don't currently have the time available, but I am still leveling my character. In SC, what you know about the universe and its players is the XP that counts, so I watch the vids as the planet info is released, analyze the capabilities of the ships as best I can, seek to understand the underlying game dynamics like movement and combat, and make friends I hope to play with in the future. There is so much to know in order to be "good" at this game, I find myself relaxing into it and just enjoying the development which is a refreshing change from the relentless pressure to power-level a character. I dig it. Sure wish the EM warfare structure had been released with 3.0 though. Missing that makes it hard to understand what the game will really be like and I needs to see the Sentinel!

Forgot your password?