Travel Times Outrageously Long - I Must Be Doing Something Wrong

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
I haven't entered the verse in a really long time (like we're talking a couple years). Saw some banter about a million in aUEC credits so thought I'd log in and have some fun spending some credits.

I wake up in Area 18. First thing I do is quantum drive to the nearest place that has components for my Sabre, as noted on Erkul. I QT to HUR L2 and I'm 32,000 km from it when I pop out of QT. So I realize I can't travel that far and actually sleep tonight, so I QT to HUR l2 Dream Station, turn towards HUR L2, and I'm 4,600 km from it. So I max out and I time it, it takes over a minute for every 100 km. That means I'm flying for 45+ minutes to get to the damn station! What am I doing wrong? I'll have more beer down me than I can handle (I'll need the help of @Blind Owl I think) before I get there. I'll be passed out.

Seriously, what gives with that? It can't really take 45 minutes to travel into a station, can it? Have I been away too long? 🍻🍻

As I finish writing this, I'm still 2700 km from the station (or 27 more minutes). There must be something I'm missing.

--Grap

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Sub Quantum yeah 1000 meters a second will give you 60km a minute so your Sabre sounds withing the relms of reason to be hitting about 100km a minute.

Quantum fails for many reasons, you can run out of fuel, you can be interdicted by a Mantis, you can overheat (that put me off the Talon when it launched) and you can have mechanical breakdown.

Usually when interdicted or over heating you are informed on the Hud but its possible a glitch stopped it from advising you or the foes from spawning? As advised, jump back in to Quantum and if not able to, raise a Service Beacon for other players to come refuel or rescue you (and your ship if they have an 890j) :-)

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
I did try to QT again and it told me I was too close. I tried several times. So, maybe a bug from this particular session. I forgot that I needed to drink so I died before long anyway. LOL. I'll try it again and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks for the details, it sounds like there are some cool things since the last time I entered the verse, looking forward to getting past the bugs.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I did try to QT again and it told me I was too close. I tried several times. So, maybe a bug from this particular session. I forgot that I needed to drink so I died before long anyway. LOL. I'll try it again and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks for the details, it sounds like there are some cool things since the last time I entered the verse, looking forward to getting past the bugs.
A strange bug indeed, was it just that station which was too close or were other waypoints also effected? Glad I haven't expirianced this one!

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
I targeted, got "Too Close" even though I was 32,000 km away, retargeted on the Dream Station and it went fine. Popped out at Dream Station, pointed at HUR L2 again from now 4700 km and it said "Too Close". Every other one I pointed out spooled up just fine. Just not HUR L2. But every other one that did spool up said "Not enough fuel". How's that for a real life nightmare, you can see the gas station in the desert, but it won't let you get there, but it offers you one that's 100x farther away and says "Sorry, you're screwed".

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Sounds like you almost have it. You go to Hur-L2, then you need to go(qt) to the waypoint that looks like a square with a diamond inside. You'll be right outside a bunch of asteroids. Then you need to go (qt) to the station itself: You can actually see it from there, but it has two valid targets. One target is for the station, the other is to go to the waypoint right outside of the entrance. You can ignore that one and just go (qt) to the station itself this patch. Then approach and land at the station as normal.

They're simulating the way you would do a Holman transfer in a very rudimentary way.

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
TNH quantum seems a bit buggy in this patch harder to select destinations sometimes and frequently drops you a few hundred km away rather than 20.

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
I targeted, got "Too Close" even though I was 32,000 km away, retargeted on the Dream Station and it went fine. Popped out at Dream Station, pointed at HUR L2 again from now 4700 km and it said "Too Close". Every other one I pointed out spooled up just fine. Just not HUR L2. But every other one that did spool up said "Not enough fuel". How's that for a real life nightmare, you can see the gas station in the desert, but it won't let you get there, but it offers you one that's 100x farther away and says "Sorry, you're screwed".
You are targeting the wrong point, look around and you will see the station is much closer and look for the square icon.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
I've had a similar bug recently trying to QT to some sort of in-system POI, and I'm pretty sure what happens is the QT initiates an ORBITAL jump as if you were jumping to a SURFACE point on a planet, which is much slower. When this happens, I can usually power down to abort the jump, then I make a course 'somewhere else,' and the next jump works again like normal.

Forgot your password?