Trying something new with the Laser Cutter...

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
When I started making models, my ultimate goal was finish my hangar and then all the ships in the game. 6 months into that goal and I'm finding that goal to require more time than I have to offer. So in an effort to produce some physical ship representation with less time, I've gone back to something I originally played around with.

The benefit is that instead of ~40 hours of time, these take around ~3 hours of time. The other cool thing is that my scale is more uniform. My current models have a split. Larger ships (up to Constellation) is 1/64. Ships over that are made at 1/254 scale. In this new format, I can make everything (up to an Idris) in ~1/160 without breaking the scale for larger ships.

Ultimately this format still needs some tweaking. I think I may stick to 2 layers for smaller ships and 3 layers for capital class and up. As you can see below, the 3 layers I experimented with on the Sabre just looks cluttered. 2 layers would look better.

This is not to say I won't continue my other models, just at a slower pace.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
They both look very good... so it comes down to: what you want to do... whichever they are very cool ship models.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Reduce the power a bit to get rid of the charring. You got air assist? that really helps with wood.

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
Reduce the power a bit to get rid of the charring. You got air assist? that really helps with wood.
I just ordered parts for an air assist today. I agree that it will help a bunch.

Maybe I'm not clear on the size, but those Sabers (Sabres?) would make a nice set of coasters.

You could do a battle scene on a coffee table!

Or come up with a miniatures game... possibilities are endless. Very kewl, @RiceMaiden !
Watching the Star Wars Armada Tabletop fleet battle game Disco has played on stream has given me ideas. Perhaps the rules could be adapted to SC, no?

Reactions: Beerjerker
Forgot your password?