TWRL - TEST Weapons Research Lab

Sportsvee

Commander
Sep 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Sportsvee
A slow kill, but super-glueing the waste ports closed on enemy ships. Let them reap what they sew.

Or starting a company that specializes in custom made pilot seats with airbags in the headrest/seat that can be remotely activated to eject the pilot out the front of the cockpit. No pilot, no problem.

Or just give enermy orgs free invites to Stormtroopers training camps.

Reactions: Ammorn

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
A slow kill, but super-glueing the waste ports closed on enemy ships. Let them reap what they sew.
Aha, i've seen some expanding foam you can use in walls which seems it would be quite suitable for this task - It could be scaled down to EVA personnel use so you just bumble up to a Bengal, chuck it in and watch the fireworks when they try to pull away - it would be like shoving a potato up a car exhaust :)

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Aha, i've seen some expanding foam you can use in walls which seems it would be quite suitable for this task - It could be scaled down to EVA personnel use so you just bumble up to a Bengal, chuck it in and watch the fireworks when they try to pull away - it would be like shoving a potato up a car exhaust :slight_smile:
Shoving things shut can have two outcomes.
You either get a big boom and a lot of small projectiles/shrapnel or you get a small boom and get a really fast projectile out of whatever you used to block the exit with.

Now, if we do this to a ship in a fleet formation, both outcomes are good!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
My Fiancées brother-in-law is a potato farmer in east Lincolnshire UK.

I am your Spud Connection, bro.
And I've go the Freelancer MAX to go get them for you guys! Load up dem potatoes!!!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I just want to be able to fling store-all containers full of explosives at capital ships. It's been a dream of mine for a while. Chaff and flares would do nothing. Systems probably wouldn't even notice the inbound payload.
Especially at Quantum speeds ;)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Gentle Ladies and Gentlemen of Test Weapons Research Lab, please come together to vet this latest plan for innovation in the market of blowing baddies way with too many guns:

Please consider this latest idea for bringing the Pew, the Large Scale Revolver.

Gatling guns are good as they have a high rate of fire and the revolving barrels mean the shots come in a concentrated stream. They are bad because their ammo is little and you need a long time on target.

Canon like the Broadsword, Tarantula or Combine are good because their rounds are big and do plenty of damage but the firing rate is pants. Need a long time on target.

The LSR takes the best parts about both and combines them, we take multiple canon of your choice, mount them all to a revolving barrel and time the rotation to ensure the guns fire at the same place in its turn meaning we can get a decent Gatling stream of large bore rounds. If the revolver mechanism is damaged, we can then get the canon to fire in series or all at once for a poweful alpha strike.

I see this system being rigged up to sit in place of a connies forehead or chin turret (or both if you have enough canon) to bring a powerful kicking.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Good People of TWRL, we have a new research department opening that requires your input!

Over on The Spectrum @Parrottmath stated this in the TWRL thread: [quote-]"For some reason... this makes me want to spin in a circle while shooting missiles and guns blazing where ever I go to see what happens."[/quote]

Instantly this reminded me of the "Death Blossom" manoeuvre from the 1984 film 'The Last Starfighter':

From the footage it is obvious how effective this tactic is and must be adopted for the glory of TEST!

But we need to find more legitimate over the top "Yeah like that'd work" tactics to blow the opposition away with! Grab your old SciFi collections and start scouring them for similarly awesome tactics we can adopt and put them up here for Peer Review! :slight_smile:

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
How about a quantum driver gun. Borrowing technology from artificial gravity and quantum drives it focuses a gravitational field and a quantum drive field down a tube to accelerate things to .02C, or 19,670,000 feet per second and 5,996,000 meters per second respectively. You could shoot anything that would fit down the tube, so you could shoot all the empty beer cans and bottles littering your ship. Anything going that speed would blow the junk out of something as it would probably undergo fusion on impact, turn into plasma along with part of the target, and release a small fusion explosion along with a burst of gamma radiation.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

I don't know if that speed would really be enough to create fusion and such, but It would definitely impart more energy than any conventional ballistic weapon. Though it wouldn't necessarily have the same penetration capabilities as large AP artillery shells since it would more or less splat/explode on the surface.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
How about a quantum driver gun. Borrowing technology from artificial gravity and quantum drives it focuses a gravitational field and a quantum drive field down a tube to accelerate things to .02C, or 19,670,000 feet per second and 5,996,000 meters per second respectively. You could shoot anything that would fit down the tube, so you could shoot all the empty beer cans and bottles littering your ship. Anything going that speed would blow the junk out of something as it would probably undergo fusion on impact, turn into plasma along with part of the target, and release a small fusion explosion along with a burst of gamma radiation.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

I don't know if that speed would really be enough to create fusion and such, but It would definitely impart more energy than any conventional ballistic weapon. Though it wouldn't necessarily have the same penetration capabilities as large AP artillery shells since it would more or less splat/explode on the surface.
This is one to monitor for when Quantum Drive is fully fleshed out, if they make objects subject to Quantum not interact with the physical plane of existence it would effect this plan, or to a lesser extent if gravity wells such as planets and larger structures like space stations and Artificial Gravity Generators in ships cause the Quantum effect to disengage that could also be an issue...

One to watch for when we get to Beta I think, there are not enough confirmed mechanics yet :slight_smile:

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
This is one to monitor for when Quantum Drive is fully fleshed out, if they make objects subject to Quantum not interact with the physical plane of existence it would effect this plan, or to a lesser extent if gravity wells such as planets and larger structures like space stations and Artificial Gravity Generators in ships cause the Quantum effect to disengage that could also be an issue...

One to watch for when we get to Beta I think, there are not enough confirmed mechanics yet :slight_smile:
Well, if I remember correctly they said at some time that you couldn't activate your quantum drive while in atmosphere or maybe flying above a planet. So I'm guessing the drive would be interacting with either the gravity or matter like the atmosphere or other physical objects and the safety systems of the drive computer shut it down or disable it in unsafe conditions or when it otherwise wouldn't work right. Same reason why you would get pulled out of quantum if you were going to run into a station, ship, asteroid belt, planet, ect. Now, since you don't need to worry about keeping something traveling safely, or avoiding hitting things by decelerating, you just need to speed something up and let it coast till it hits something.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well, if I remember correctly they said at some time that you couldn't activate your quantum drive while in atmosphere or maybe flying above a planet. So I'm guessing the drive would be interacting with either the gravity or matter like the atmosphere or other physical objects and the safety systems of the drive computer shut it down or disable it in unsafe conditions or when it otherwise wouldn't work right. Same reason why you would get pulled out of quantum if you were going to run into a station, ship, asteroid belt, planet, ect. Now, since you don't need to worry about keeping something traveling safely, or avoiding hitting things by decelerating, you just need to speed something up and let it coast till it hits something.
I totally agree, I seem to recall a similar idea nearer the beginning of this very thread where it was theorised whether cargo or metalic rods would keep their speed as kenetic energy or even if a small Quantum drive could be fitted to the object to keep its speed like a modified missile...

Taking this a step further with Mining in mind, could a Prospector land on an asteroid and if set upon by pirates repurpose it's quantum drive to fire a limitless amount of hyper-velocity rock from the asteroid it was mining as a form of defence?

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...Taking this a step further with Mining in mind, could a Prospector land on an asteroid and if set upon by pirates repurpose it's quantum drive to fire a limitless amount of hyper-velocity rock from the asteroid it was mining as a form of defence?
as a rocket surgeon, I assure you this will never happen

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Well having been flying the stock superhornet of late I can categorically say that the stock loadout is totally pants.

Thereth ends my lesson.

Forgot your password?