Underground lake of liquid water found on Mars!!

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Source: https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a22541370/underground-lake-liquid-water-mars/?utm_source=reddit.com

This subglacial lake, discovered by a ground-penetrating radar on the Mars Express spacecraft, is about 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) wide and perhaps no more than a meter deep. Its discovery is the latest piece of evidence that suggests water was not only present on Mars in the past but is still flowing in some capacity today. The findings, if confirmed by future observations, would be the most significant discovery of liquid water on Mars to date.
Some absolutely crazy shit. Wonder how soon we can send probes to see if there is life in it or not!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think it will be some time to design something that can dig to that depth, but I also bet JPL has already started designing. We may see an announcement by years end and 6-7 years to design and build.

Very exciting! Mars already has relatively fertile land (compared to the Moon) so this could mean functioning greenhouses, and of course it can be stripped back to H2 and O2, so fuel production at the pole.

This changes everything.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
neat.
Hey, so far they just assume it's water from what I read. It's pretty much ground penetrating radar that's given them higher than normal reflectivity for a solid past a certain depth. IT COULD BE BEER. *fingers crossed* .
Wait, you're right! Maybe it is beer. Maybe, if we're lucky, any martian life we find may turn out to be beer-based lifeforms! That would be great.

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
Exciting.

If current theories are correct the lack of a global magnetic field could cause issues for sustainable life, however only time will tell.
If memory serves they're already working on that issue - something like a reasonably large electro magnet at the sun-side lagrange point?
I'll have to find the article.

Shiwaz

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Shiwaz
If the "lake" is deep enough, life might be sufficiently heated (nearer core) and protected from the potentially fatal wavelengths.

I mean, we're not affected by radio waves, so I wouldnt be surprised if we end up discovering several species, immune to other wavelengths...

"Go speaking space-dolphin!!!"

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It's damn near impossible to send a spacecraft anywhere that is free of Earth microbes that could contaminate the find
Yup. To be a convincing find they would need to find something that doesn't exist on Earth and is proposed to not come from here.

If current theories are correct the lack of a global magnetic field could cause issues for sustainable life, however only time will tell.
The missing magnetic field is what allowed the sun to strip away the atmosphere, but current theory says there was an atmosphere for a long time so life could have spawned. . .or so they say.

If memory serves they're already working on that issue - something like a reasonably large electro magnet at the sun-side lagrange point?
I don't think anyone is really working on that, though I have also seen it proposed. One thing to bear in mind is that astronautical engineers love to propose stuff that would cost trillions of dollars, with no concern for who would pay for such a thing or why. I think before we were worried about how to protect an atmosphere on Mars, we'd need to provide more than there is, and have such a large population they were intent on moving out to the surface. Right now best hopes for any long term colonization are based upon the resources as exist, and still it is a pretty bleak hope.

Personally I think to justify terraforming for open planet colonization, you would need to be able to open a wormhole in Venus' atmosphere and deposit a suitable atmosphere on Mars. Then you have cause to provide a magnetic field. Wormholes first!

Mars has lots of iron, they could just magnetize it so it has a magnetic field.
I think if you did a calculation for that, you'd find you need much more energy than is plausible. Even building a superconducting ring at the Lagrange point as Fluffy remarked, that is a multi-trillion dollar project. You can't do that with the kind of global economy we have right now, but you could in the future. The trick is to figure out how to make it pay.

The world's largest macro-engineering project to date is the US Interstate Highway System. It was originally sold to congress during the Cold War to supposedly make a way for civilians to flee US cities in event of a thermonuclear holocaust. Eisenhower could not have sold that to Congress or the US people except for the Cold War, and the project was not completed until after the Cold War ended. It took 50 years and half a trillion dollars to build those highways, and of course US citizens are all beneficiaries of that now. Our transport is the safest, quickest, most convenient and affordable in the world.

What you need to do to sell any space-oriented macro-engineering project, is show just exactly these kinds of positive outcomes, as well as a compelling need. That's very hard to do in space. Gerard O'Neil tried back in the 70's with his work at NASA, his book The High Frontier, and with the first space advocacy group that endures to this day, the Space Studies Institute (you should all be members!), but even SSI can't gather funds to do simple engineering tasks like their G-Lab. If you dig space engineering, you might consider giving to SSI, as it is an even worthier cause than CIG.

http://ssi.org/category/g-lab/

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
Yup. To be a convincing find they would need to find something that doesn't exist on Earth and is proposed to not come from here.

The missing magnetic field is what allowed the sun to strip away the atmosphere, but current theory says there was an atmosphere for a long time so life could have spawned. . .or so they say.

I don't think anyone is really working on that, though I have also seen it proposed. One thing to bear in mind is that astronautical engineers love to propose stuff that would cost trillions of dollars, with no concern for who would pay for such a thing or why. I think before we were worried about how to protect an atmosphere on Mars, we'd need to provide more than there is, and have such a large population they were intent on moving out to the surface. Right now best hopes for any long term colonization are based upon the resources as exist, and still it is a pretty bleak hope.

Personally I think to justify terraforming for open planet colonization, you would need to be able to open a wormhole in Venus' atmosphere and deposit a suitable atmosphere on Mars. Then you have cause to provide a magnetic field. Wormholes first!

I think if you did a calculation for that, you'd find you need much more energy than is plausible. Even building a superconducting ring at the Lagrange point as Fluffy remarked, that is a multi-trillion dollar project. You can't do that with the kind of global economy we have right now, but you could in the future. The trick is to figure out how to make it pay.

The world's largest macro-engineering project to date is the US Interstate Highway System. It was originally sold to congress during the Cold War to supposedly make a way for civilians to flee US cities in event of a thermonuclear holocaust. Eisenhower could not have sold that to Congress or the US people except for the Cold War, and the project was not completed until after the Cold War ended. It took 50 years and half a trillion dollars to build those highways, and of course US citizens are all beneficiaries of that now. Our transport is the safest, quickest, most convenient and affordable in the world.

What you need to do to sell any space-oriented macro-engineering project, is show just exactly these kinds of positive outcomes, as well as a compelling need. That's very hard to do in space. Gerard O'Neil tried back in the 70's with his work at NASA, his book The High Frontier, and with the first space advocacy group that endures to this day, the Space Studies Institute (you should all be members!), but even SSI can't gather funds to do simple engineering tasks like their G-Lab. If you dig space engineering, you might consider giving to SSI, as it is an even worthier cause than CIG.

http://ssi.org/category/g-lab/
Just, like, build a dyson sphere with really long extension cables to earth and mars.

Forgot your password?