Unreal 5 Engine.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I mean considering that is a highly polished game demo it actually makes me think that star citizen is looking pretty darn good given it's pre alpha and way off final polish!

Be interesting to see what happens with Vulkan! My twin Radeon VII are ready baby!!!

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
So it looks like they are using some form of particle tech to simulate flocks of birds and bugs instead of the boid stuff that CIG is doing. They look nice, but I wonder how dynamic their interaction is. Scattering from the light like those bugs do is a pretty impressive display, if it truly wasn't just scripted cinematic magic. Maybe they can also draw some lessons on IK from this tech as well, because that was looking pretty good. The longer SC takes, the more other tech will overtake and surpass it. So it is a difficult balance, I'm sure, between keeping up with evolving tech and getting things locked in. Therein lies the problem, because we all know how Chris likes that bleeding edge.

/$0.02

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Chris better get this game out because the gen 3 technology is on its way. His tech, even though he has worked hard to keep it up to date is 2013.

This is a little "nerdy" but relevant.

Moore's Law is still an important factor.

Technology advancement is only going to get faster and faster, bigger leaps forward.
That's one of the reasons why I think CIG shouldn't 'take all the time they need' to release the game. One of SC's strongest selling points is that it's absolute Eye Candy. Games are only gonna get prettier and eventually SC will look kinda ordinary. You can offset that with good content and gameplay loops of course but we don't really have enough of that yet.

Unless of course Chris does see this, switches over to Unreal 5 and we add another 10 years to development. 😂

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
The demo is really impressive and the fact they claim to be running on a PS5 is a good mesue of the fact that is not so "heavy" on the hardware requirement... but, this is a hight polich demo and even if the enviroment looks amazing the character is quite poor: fabric and leather texuture are not so refined as the enviroments and the hair are a solid block. Omissis do the fact that are things already in place or for a trade of???
In addition the scene is preatty "plain" there are no other people, or detail like fire torch, explosion or something like that: the light surce is most of the time only one and the light bulb is alsways slow moving, I'll to see this GE on a more action packed demo....

That sayd the demo is impressive and I'll love to see some actual game implement this tecnology as his peak but as we all know once a game came out this is not the final graaphics we'll have....
I hope that Amazon will evolve the Lunbiard engine to include this type of tecnology becouse this will rise the bar on the future GE...

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The demo is really impressive and the fact they claim to be running on a PS5 is a good mesue of the fact that is not so "heavy" on the hardware requirement... but, this is a hight polich demo and even if the enviroment looks amazing the character is quite poor: fabric and leather texuture are not so refined as the enviroments and the hair are a solid block. Omissis do the fact that are things already in place or for a trade of???
In addition the scene is preatty "plain" there are no other people, or detail like fire torch, explosion or something like that: the light surce is most of the time only one and the light bulb is alsways slow moving, I'll to see this GE on a more action packed demo....

That sayd the demo is impressive and I'll love to see some actual game implement this tecnology as his peak but as we all know once a game came out this is not the final graaphics we'll have....
I hope that Amazon will evolve the Lunbiard engine to include this type of tecnology becouse this will rise the bar on the future GE...
I didn't really look at the character too much. More interested in particle physics, lighting, shadows, etc. Yeah it's a tech demo but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.

At the very least, it'll force developers to up their game. Imagine an Elder Scrolls 6/Fallout 5 or whatever game CDPR comes out with after Cyberpunk 2077 running at this quality. I'm excited to see what game developers come out with in the near future.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

You are pointing out the short cuts they had to take to make it work on a PS5 while still showcasing the new features.

I honestly am not sure what Amazon is doing with Lumberyard. While they are releasing new features for it (latest was Feb 2020) they seem more interested at the moment in making it easy to utilize their AWS servers and integrate twitch.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
You are pointing out the short cuts they had to take to make it work on a PS5 while still showcasing the new features.

I honestly am not sure what Amazon is doing with Lumberyard. While they are releasing new features for it (latest was Feb 2020) they seem more interested at the moment in making it easy to utilize their AWS servers and integrate twitch.
Yeah, very important to note that a tech demo (while impressive) is not a game....and definitely is not an MMO....and absolutely is not an MMO on the scale that CR is planning.

Crowd funding for Star Citizen 2 coming Soon™!

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Yeah, very important to note that a tech demo (while impressive) is not a game....and definitely is not an MMO....and absolutely is not an MMO on the scale that CR is planning.

Crowd funding for Star Citizen 2 coming Soon™!
Absolutely. I'll take 'gameplay loops' over graphics any day. I think most backers of SC think the same too!

Reactions: Blind Owl and Scape
Forgot your password?