Update Crytech lawsuit from Youtuber Law.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Thanks for this! Another great video by Lior. As usual, there are a lot of weirdoes leaving negative comments about the video (and about Bored Gamer, for some reason). I hit the like button, and made a comment about the usual gang of idiots out on the internetz...

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
Lumberyard and Crytek engines are free now, apparently. CIG had an agreement to provide code updates to Crytek. The whole case is a POS, IMO. All this boils down to is whether CIG bankrupted Crytek and stole away their talent. I think Crytek was poorly managed and destroyed itself, but that's what the lawsuit should be about. CIG paid millions of dollars for the license and bought it off, but Crytek is broke and put the engine out for free so the management is looking for enough money to keep their Porsches running.

What pisses me off is that CIG is not taking a hit on this no matter what happens, all the wasted funds will have to be replaced to pay the bills and make the game. The backers will just have to pony up more cash to cover all the expenses for discovery, filings, judgments and whatnot, so, basically, this is nothing more than Crytek making problems and reaching into MY wallet.

Moderation: Threats of violence/life will not be tolerated in TEST whether they be serious or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Lumberyard and Crytek engines are free now, apparently. CIG had an agreement to provide code updates to Crytek. The whole case is a POS, IMO. All this boils down to is whether CIG bankrupted Crytek and stole away their talent. I think Crytek was poorly managed and destroyed itself, but that's what the lawsuit should be about. CIG paid millions of dollars for the license and bought it off, but Crytek is broke and put the engine out for free so the management is looking for enough money to keep their Porsches running.

What pisses me off is that CIG is not taking a hit on this no matter what happens, all the wasted funds will have to be replaced to pay the bills and make the game. The backers will just have to pony up more cash to cover all the expenses for discovery, filings, judgments and whatnot, so, basically, this is nothing more than Crytek making problems and reaching into MY wallet.

I wish someone would put a bomb in the car of the Crytek people responsible for the lawsuit. I'd do it myself, but a dumb, fat, old American who doesn't speak German, wandering around Germany with explosives would be quickly arrested, tried and sentenced for life somewhere very unpleasant with no beer.
Let's just hope that CGI can countersue for damages once the dust is settled.
Also I wonder if we the backers, could class action the hell out of crytek in some way, for causing damages to us by sueing CIG and disrupting production. While.it would mean that CiG admits they used our money for the lawsuit in the first place, which is highly unlikely and would get them sued instelol it would be a good way to get back at crytek lol

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
How would the people they license it to know if it used to be part of CIG's code without also having CIG's code to compare?
usually the guys who sue someone are the guys who are victims of theft ... so in this hypothetical case it will be Amazon or CIG I guess

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
New update in the case:
View: https://youtu.be/I-Gk0YRFj7U

TLDW, as far as I can remember at least:
Basically, CIG sais Crytek is trying to twist the GLA again in a way that would lead back to their original claim (that CIG Must use Cryengine). This was already dismissed by the judge as bullshit, so they try to encurage the judge to do the same again, also in the hopes of that they wouldn't have to go through with the full discovery process Crytek wants , which is absurd in it's broadness and should not be allowed in it's current form anyways, as it makes no sense for the case. (Crytek is basically asking for literally everything from CIG and their associates to be delivered to them, from program code to all personell and business details. Yes, that "everything" includes the names, addresses, and all personal data of all backers, along with how much they spent...)

Forgot your password?