USB Hubs (solved)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hey TESTies,

I've got this shiny new rig, with shiny new toys attached, and I'm finding myself a USB port short. So I want to know, can I buy a USB hub that will connect to my computer, that I can attach say, my USB speakers and headphone dongle to? Will this work?

Thanks in advance,

Owl.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have this one and love it, does require a power source though.

Cool, thank you. So having multiple devices plugged into one port works ok?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Yeap, this will work. I use a 7 port USB hub for my flight peripherals. You only must make sure that the hub is a powered one. Another option is to use pin header to slot USB ports.

4x USB2.0
1584345518514.png

2x USB 3. Check for a free 20 pin, 1 is not used so a 19 pin connector
1584345553663.png

Most of the time, not all motherboard USB headers are used. Check if you still have some USB headers free on your motherboard.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
All valid options, just an advise on the HUB: if the model you choose doesn't have an external power (like 99% oof the case), attach to it device with a low poer consumption.
Keyboard, mouse, pen drive, headfone are all good, but if you try to attach am external harddrive to it it won't probably work and could couse issu with the other device.
USB hub non only share the data output but also the power from a sigle USB port so when a "high" power demanding item is attach problem can happen.

As an additional USB HUB you can check the monitor: most of the new monitors have a build-in USB3 replicator with a couple of USB 3 port, you just need to connect it to a USB 3 port on the pc.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
As an additional USB HUB you can check the monitor: most of the new monitors have a build-in USB3 replicator with a couple of USB 3 port, you just need to connect it to a USB 3 port on the pc.
Ok I was wondering about this. My new Acer Predator z321qu monitor has 4× USB 3 ports, but I couldn't figure out how to use them other than for power.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
As others have already pointed out: get a USB hub with its own separate power source just to be on the safe side, or an internal one if you got a free header.

One more thing, win10 and some mobos can be bitchy about USB3 ports (if I plug in one USB 3 device at the back my front panel doesn't work sometimes and such nonsense). If you don't need it to be specifically USB3 for high data transfer like an external disk drive, I'd go for a USB 2, but with a modern system like yours you'd be most likely have zero issues with USB3 as well.

SpudNyk

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 19, 2016
RSI Handle
spudnyk
I have this one and love it, does require a power source though.

I can second it, I use the same as the one for all my sticks - works great!

Cool, thank you. So having multiple devices plugged into one port works ok?
Can confirm, it's perfectly fine. It's what USB was designed for.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Son of a bitch: my new monitor has a build in USB hub. I just need to run a USB cord with a square end to the back of my monitor from a USB port in my computer. The more you know. I'll see if I have that cord.
If you don't have a cable, it's called a USB Type B cable, and you can get them at almost any place you get computer parts.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Son of a bitch: my new monitor has a build in USB hub. I just need to run a USB cord with a square end to the back of my monitor from a USB port in my computer. The more you know. I'll see if I have that cord.
It should came with the monitor I think... I mean that is not a 50$ monitor, I'll pretend they include all the cable... (considering that a cable like that will cost you like 3-4$, they'll pay it like 1$...)

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It should came with the monitor I think... I mean that is not a 50$ monitor, I'll pretend they include all the cable... (considering that a cable like that will cost you like 3-4$, they'll pay it like 1$...)
You would think they include the cable, but even if they did (they don't), sometimes the shop removes it and sells it separately. The cheap bastards lol

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I use this one, make it easy to turn off a unit if you don't need it or if you need to reset a unit instead of pulling the cord out and put it in a gain..

I use a 7 port version of this but only found this on Amazon,.. with on /off switch for each channel.

https://www.amazon.com/Raidsonic-ICY-BOX-IB-HUB1405-USB/dp/B075556D5F/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=ICY+BOX+USB+HUB&qid=1584360582&sr=8-15

There are a lot of other version with on /off switches but I do recommend a hub with on/off for each channel.

CHEERS! 🍻

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
If you don't have a cable, it's called a USB Type B cable, and you can get them at almost any place you get computer parts.
You would think they include the cable, but even if they did (they don't), sometimes the shop removes it and sells it separately. The cheap bastards lol
Yes it should! But amazon/monoprice will have one if you need it.
Yup, it came with the monitor. Lol. Regular USB on one end, USB type B on the other. Mouse, keyboard and USB speakers are now tied into my monitor. That was shit simple.

Thanks a million lads. Y'all are life savers.

SpudNyk

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 19, 2016
RSI Handle
spudnyk
I use this one, make it easy to turn off a unit if you don't need it or if you need to reset a unit instead of pulling the cord out and put it in a gain..

I use a 7 port version of this but only found this on Amazon,.. with on /off switch for each channel.

https://www.amazon.com/Raidsonic-ICY-BOX-IB-HUB1405-USB/dp/B075556D5F/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=ICY+BOX+USB+HUB&qid=1584360582&sr=8-15

There are a lot of other version with on /off switches but I do recommend a hub with on/off for each channel.

CHEERS! 🍻
Oh that's nice I use a powerstrip with individual switches for the sockets and turn off my hub that way for when I need it. I saw some similar USB hubs to this but not as solid looking, I may have to pick one of these up.

Forgot your password?