Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Ooooh, i'd love to see your source for that if you have a link :slight_smile:
https://www.fraghero.com/10-most-expensive-virtual-goods-ever-sold/

Note. the last item which is real (2.5 million for 25,000 parcels of virtual real-estate) is a transaction by Anshe Chung (an Avatar name). Anshe is the first real world millionaire based on income from gaming activities. She has a growing portfolio of online properties, virtual real estate, and runs Anshechungstudios.com. It's worth it if you're interested to look up Anshe Chung on Wikipedia, the story is true. Anshe Chung was a competitor of mine, competitor and winner by far. She is now an entrepreneur, software developer, venture capitalist, investor, and philanthropist in the online gaming space, employees around 100 or so people.

You know how she got started on this road? By being nice to people, answering stupid questions, and helping others achieve their goals. She developed a good reputation. She was actually a very nice person, at least to me she always was - even willing to give advice where I competed with her. (small sideline business I had, making 3d objects for sci fi gaming.)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Note. the last item which is real (2.5 million for 25,000 parcels of virtual real-estate) is a transaction by Anshe Chung (an Avatar name). Anshe is the first real world millionaire based on income from gaming activities. She has a growing portfolio of online properties, virtual real estate, and runs Anshechungstudios.com. It's worth it if you're interested to look up Anshe Chung on Wikipedia, the story is true. Anshe Chung was a competitor of mine, competitor and winner by far. She is now an entrepreneur, software developer, venture capitalist, investor, and philanthropist in the online gaming space, employees around 100 or so people.

You know how she got started on this road? By being nice to people, answering stupid questions, and helping others achieve their goals. She developed a good reputation. She was actually a very nice person, at least to me she always was - even willing to give advice where I competed with her. (small sideline business I had, making 3d objects for sci fi gaming.)
Many thanks for the link and your experiences, it's fascinating :)

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I think the doors wide open for in-game ads like billboards, just not sure how they would tie-in current merchandise/services into the "future" game world.
I don't think you do it that way in SC. That's for games that are completely sandboxes, with 100% user created content. You get a lot of junk that way, with a few gems in it though - but mostly junk. It can be fun, but I don't think SC needs this model.

What they could use is a land ownership/lease/resources/raw materials production/manufacturing economy. Users could build whatever they want to build on a plot of land. A mine, industrial complex, or whatever. There is a game funding model buried in here by the way. It's way TLDR to explain.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I don't think you do it that way in SC. That's for games that are completely sandboxes, with 100% user created content. You get a lot of junk that way, with a few gems in it though - but mostly junk. It can be fun, but I don't think SC needs this model.

What they could use is a land ownership/lease/resources/raw materials production/manufacturing economy. Users could build whatever they want to build on a plot of land. A mine, industrial complex, or whatever. There is a game funding model buried in here by the way. It's way TLDR to explain.
I suppose if a company came in and set up stall on a patch of land and tried to advertise that way (other than CIG shutting it down) it'd only be a matter of time until an unsatisfied ex-customer dropped several very large very explodey eggs on them from their Hercules A2...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

BlackLoot

Commander
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
BlackGoesGaming

Man so many cold chills reading this. Good Stuff & just WOW what a story.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
land ownership/lease/resources/raw materials production/manufacturing economy. Users could build whatever they want to build on a plot of land. A mine, industrial complex, or whatever.
Thought this was already the plan. If you mined on someones claim either you were stealing or you paid for the rights.

Jasum

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Jasum
Didn't BF2142 try doing real world advertising with in-game billboards? Perhaps I'm dismembering, but if that's the case it must not have been too successful or the trend would have taken off.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?