[Video] Bioware posts blog update on Anthem

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
As an Avid (like more than I care to disclose) Destiny player. I think a few issues they have to fix is making every drop have the potential to be something great. For example, in Destiny there is a gun called "Dire Promise" I am waiting to get my perfect PvP roll, (Opening Shot, Range Finder) because those perks are really good PvP. I also want a PvE roll, (Overload, Swashbuckler) all these perks make the same gun act VERY different, Opening shot makes my first shot of an attack really easy to hit. Swashbuckler gives me a 33% dmg buff after a melee kill, and as long as I keep killing with the gun or melee the buff refreshes its time. It's the same gun, but the different perks make it act in very different ways. In anthem, If you were lucky enough to get the same gun you wanted twice, you get +5% more ammo.... yay.... that's not anything to be hyped about. So Anthem 2.0 Devs, here is my question, what is going to make me hyped to get my 500th gun? if you are going to make a looter shooter, that is one major question you need to answer.

Also, Destiny 2 launched with 6 strikes, the equivalent to the 3 dungeons you had a few months after launch. Also, destiny has Nightfall versions of those strikes where the difficulty can be ramped up to 11. I could go on, but my point is you need more playable content sooner or players will stop just because there is nothing they haven't done a million times.

• Love
Reactions: Blind Owl and Phil

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
They seem to have taken all the advice, question is, can they execute on it?

I think first of all it has to be said, most of the community agreed the gameplay, graphics and mechanics were well done, no one quit that game because of the graphics downgrade or the gameplay mechanics, we quit that game because the end game in its entirety was GARBAGE, 100% dog shit.

Loot was bad, the drop rates were bad, the variety was bland and boring, the special abilities felt lacking, the co-op meshing could have been better, the design was bad the grey weapons looked the same as the upgraded weapons, I mean this game was so bad just from a loot perspective it doesn't even deserve to be listed as a looter shooter it was just bad, sure again, we all agree the gameplay of shooting was good, it felt good flying and shooting but my god the loot actually degraded the game lol.

What about end game? I saw nothing in there about how bad the end game was, you said loot was the biggest issue and I respectfully 100% disagree, the end game was the worst part, I don't care if loot drops were golden and plentiful, the fact that 2 weeks in I was so effing bored of the same 2 strongholds and the same boring ass repetitive missions I stopped caring about loot 4 weeks in and quit the game, I couldn't do the missions over and over and over until my eyes started bleeding lmao. And then they answered our prayers with a 3rd stronghold!!! What! You mean its just the last boss ? WTF! lmao...

I am sorry bro, I know you liked this game, I know you want it to succeed, again we ALL wanted it to be good, we ALL spent money and time on it I had almost 80hrs in 4 weeks in that game so I am not just some random guy who played here and there I put the time in trust me. And again I loved certain things about it, but dressing up a pig in a 1000$ gown and saying look its beautiful its mostly good... its still a effing pig in a dress.

In the end, if I have to put any $$ I refuse to give it a second chance, they took my 70$ and gave me 2 weeks of pleasure and another 2 weeks of agony and regret, I will never admit I got my money's worth when the end game was garbage, I refuse to pay for them to do it right the 2nd time.

Oh ya and I forgot, this was all labeled as a LIVE SERVICE.... where the hell was this LIVE SERVICE..... I saw nothing to lead me to believe these clowns were working on ANYTHING remotely called a LIVE SERVICE.... LMAO. Sorry rant over!!! :P

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Owl

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've never really understood Looter-Shooters.

In the original DOOM, you pick up what the baddy had, a shotgun, a clip of bullets, a chain gun. If the enemy was a demon there was no drop because you can't drop evil magic in any practical sense that can be picked up and utilized. That made sense to me, what they had, I have and can use to progress.

A baddie magically dropping whole guns and stuff out of their ass when you pop a cap in 'em like they've dropped Mary Poppins sodding carpet bag with randome junk falling out of it ne to the next just never made sense to me with. The best stuff appearing 0.1% of the time be like you caught them on the way to pay their rent and discovered they had a buldging money clip in their back pocket... Gotta feel bad for their landlord no rent and having to find a new tennant what have i doooone?! Nahh. I don't get it.

The Monster Hunter style harvesting of animal parts as crafting resources did make sense to me but that game on the PSP was the only one I played, was okay but too tough to control on the fiddly diddly hand-held for me to get much further than the first few levels and I kept burning my sodding meat on the camp-fire... but if you do get the body part you want for your electro-stun-hammer you want and still had some of the level to go, you'd keep going to wreap the parts from the other creatures and keep them in your pantry for later. But still, the grind was real.

Nope, never understood em.

Last edited:

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
There is a big difference between Doom and say The Division or Badlands series both very good looter shooters. Doom is just an FPS shooter its not a looter shooter by any means, there is not enough loot variation in Doom to call it a looter shooter and there is no MMO or RPG or leveling aspect to it really. Apparently there is a Mod out for Doom that makes more looter shooter like Badlands but to me Doom is not in the same category as looter shooters which are described as more of a MMO/RPG type game where you grind gear for your characters, level up etc... and Doom is simply described as a FPS shooter, two completely different genre's.

Monster Hunter again, not even in the same category, its a "fantasy-themed action role-playing video game". It sounds like you don't like looter shooters which is fine, but don't try and redefine its genre because you don't like it lmao.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
There is a big difference between Doom and say The Division or Badlands series both very good looter shooters. Doom is just an FPS shooter its not a looter shooter by any means, there is not enough loot variation in Doom to call it a looter shooter and there is no MMO or RPG or leveling aspect to it really. Apparently there is a Mod out for Doom that makes more looter shooter like Badlands but to me Doom is not in the same category as looter shooters which are described as more of a MMO/RPG type game where you grind gear for your characters, level up etc... and Doom is simply described as a FPS shooter, two completely different genre's.

Monster Hunter again, not even in the same category, its a "fantasy-themed action role-playing video game". It sounds like you don't like looter shooters which is fine, but don't try and redefine its genre because you don't like it lmao.
Thanks for the explanation, from the sounds of it not only do I not understand looter shooters, I have never played one.

So is it an FPS/TPS where enemies magic rewards from their corpses for you and the drop rate for some items is stupidly low?

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Thanks for the explanation, from the sounds of it not only do I not understand looter shooters, I have never played one.

So is it an FPS/TPS where enemies magic rewards from their corpses for you and the drop rate for some items is stupidly low?
Magic reward? Actually in Division, they drop guns, armor, set items, tech items for special abilities, stuff that they wear from a RP element of course, you are fighting NPC/A.I. with guns, gear and armor. Same with Badlands, they drop guns, shields, grenades etc... the NPC's are using these things its not hard to imagine they would have these items on their corpse. And absolutely, the more powerful the item the harder it is to get, that's the point, if it was easy to get the game would be over to quickly.

I have played Monster Hunter and if the fights didn't take an hour to play out I would have enjoyed it more, but I didn't criticise the fact that characters wielding weapons 3x's the size of themselves that in a real would they wouldn't be able to lift 1 inch off the ground are jumping, rolling and climbing on top of monsters the size of a house seems pretty unimaginable lol but you are criticising loot drops from NPC's that actually have those items on them when they die... :P

I am not sure if this was a sarcastic response or not but the standards for looter shooters have been around for awhile now.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Magic reward? Actually in Division, they drop guns, armor, set items, tech items for special abilities, stuff that they wear from a RP element of course, you are fighting NPC/A.I. with guns, gear and armor. Same with Badlands, they drop guns, shields, grenades etc... the NPC's are using these things its not hard to imagine they would have these items on their corpse. And absolutely, the more powerful the item the harder it is to get, that's the point, if it was easy to get the game would be over to quickly.

I have played Monster Hunter and if the fights didn't take an hour to play out I would have enjoyed it more, but I didn't criticise the fact that characters wielding weapons 3x's the size of themselves that in a real would they wouldn't be able to lift 1 inch off the ground are jumping, rolling and climbing on top of monsters the size of a house seems pretty unimaginable lol but you are criticising loot drops from NPC's that actually have those items on them when they die... :P

I am not sure if this was a sarcastic response or not but the standards for looter shooters have been around for awhile now.
Thanks for the info, good to hear its not all illogical.

Genuinely not sarcastic, I am racking my brains and can't think of a single game I have played where I have been gifted items dropped by characters. Ammo, yes, resources which can then upgrade my armory to get new items, yet, but to memory I've not played a single game where a minion has a 0.1% chance of spawning with a rocket launcher in his bottomless pocket.

Dredd Vs Death took vanquished enemies ammo, guns and grenades, same Halo and as said with DOOM, that is just FPS mechanics and not even a looter, so I suppose DvD and Halo aren't either even if the only way to get a grenade launcher etc was to loot it from a vanquished enemy... Latest Shooter I played was Strange Brigade as it came with a graphics card. You got coins awarded for each kill which you used to upgrade your armory and items, and punching the undead back to death while yelling "Ecky-Thump" and "Leave it out" (you can tell which character I played as) was great, but no looting there either.

I honestly don't think I have played one, I assume the looter part of lootershooters came with online co-operative play to monetize with loot-boxes?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I've never really understood Looter-Shooters.

<snip>

The Monster Hunter style harvesting of animal parts as crafting resources did make sense to me but that game on the PSP was the only one I played, was okay but too tough to control on the fiddly diddly hand-held for me to get much further than the first few levels and I kept burning my sodding meat on the camp-fire... but if you do get the body part you want for your electro-stun-hammer you want and still had some of the level to go, you'd keep going to wreap the parts from the other creatures and keep them in your pantry for later. But still, the grind was real.

Nope, never understood em.
yeah, I think it makes the most sense when you are trying to *craft* something and you need a specific bit...this assumes there really is a crafting mechanic in the game, and you like crafting.

FWIW, I think that the recent iterations of Monster Hunter really shine with the cooperative play-style, where you work as a team to bring down the big monsters. You and your mates go out on hunting parties, really just to go out and kill things in a party.

Which brings me to my next criticism of most MMO-type games --> there really isn't much gameplay there, you are kind of expected to make your own gameplay. I think Bethesda really brought that home, where Fallout76 started off as just a setting for you to go and kill other players; later they realized that players wanted lore, settings, NPC's, quests, stuff to do...you know, a game...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxFAqE1YYRY&list=PLZiHfw9gjqqIp0jqSgDDXrAluQxSUQYd2&index=23

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I love my looter shooters, but I love my looter shooters to have story, character, and something to be working towards. Destiny 2 has accomplished this, as it's about the only damn game I play, and I always have something to do. To be clear, year one Destiny 2 DID NOT accomplish this. But Bungie has a way of listening to the players. And they fixed it. And it's awesome.

Reactions: Phil

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Any mention of the word "Anthem" and Phil will come into the thread, drop a 7 page, 9000 word essay on how Anthem killed his dog, then end with:

😆
Sorry man, I really feel the same way you do, the game really had a chance to be great, they just blew it. :(

• Love

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Sorry man, I really feel the same way you do, the game really had a chance to be great, they just blew it. :(
What are you? Canadian?

Stop apologizing! 😆

We all moved on, there is only one true game, that is Star Citizen. Everything else is fluff.

• Glorious

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
What are you? Canadian?

Stop apologizing! 😆

We all moved on, there is only one true game, that is Star Citizen. Everything else is fluff.
No but my wife is Canadian, must be rubbing off on me and oh ya its Sooory. lol

Forgot your password?