Volvo V60 or Toyota RAV4

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Did a short search on reliability.
Toyotas and RAV4 generally scores higher than any Volvo in the long run, But if you only lease the car for 2-3 years, the newer Volvos should be able to hold up as well. As both are new-ish cars (heavy facelifts really) they are hard to judge just yet.

Do note that they have 3 recalls already, which means they ain't cheaping out on getting things fixed!

volvo has 1 at least as well, it's pretty embarassing when you try to show off your "it won't let me run you over system" to your friend and he goes SPLAT against the windscreen lol

SO the question remains, what you need it for?
Grab the VOlvo for serious Autobahn duty, get the RAV4 for city boppin and fishing trips!

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
A lot of very good points -- thank you, guys!

The Rav4 FAILED THE MOOSE TEST!
/.../
They fixed it by tuning ESP. Authors of the original test tested Rav4 again in January this year --

Volvo is owned by the Chinese these days. They changed at least the styling to suit the Chinese market, no idea about build quality.
Parent company: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geely
True, however the cars are still being designed in Sweden. Only the owner of the company is Chinese.

And honestly I can't see any design changes you've mentioned; new models look very good and their design suit the needs of more potential owners than ever in my opinion -- Volvo used to have a unique Swedish boxy design that wasn't attracting everyone around the World.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
/.../
volvo has 1 at least as well, it's pretty embarassing when you try to show off your "it won't let me run you over system" to your friend and he goes SPLAT against the windscreen lol
/.../
I was going to say that the situation you've described before was probably pedestrian collision avoidance system that performed an emergency braking, but the lady didn't release the throttle or something like that ; )

And BTW, that's a funny one:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
A lot of very good points -- thank you, guys!

They fixed it by tuning ESP. Authors of the original test tested Rav4 again in January this year --

lol, nice! How the heck did I miss that? Thanks o'google! haha
Still looks like it handles nicely.

I was going to say that the situation you've described before was probably pedestrian collision avoidance system that performed an emergency braking, but the lady didn't release the throttle or something like that ; )

And BTW, that's a funny one:
Hahaha, probably when they tested cornering in Sweden, they couldn't get over 0.1 lat G cos everything is always frozen over and they didn't see a point in making those latches stronger lol

Oh, and in regards to the lady driver: she didn't have the avoidence system. it might be standard yes, in the western world. Except here they do sell more "basic" versions for our market where all those "standard" safety electronics are optional and most don't option em. EDIT of edit: it was an XC90. I checked both the local and intl volvo site, it doesn't have the automagic pedestrian splatter neither as standard nor as an optional extra, at least on the base model diesel I configed. Or I just couldn't find it among the options, but I highly doubt it was installed as it looked like the cheapest base model they could get, with the basic "free" white paint and standard wheels, interior was probably standard black as well.

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
lol, nice! How the heck did I miss that? Thanks o'google! haha
Still looks like it handles nicely.

Hahaha, probably when they tested cornering in Sweden, they couldn't get over 0.1 lat G cos everything is always frozen over and they didn't see a point in making those latches stronger lol

Oh, and in dergards to the lady driver: she didn't have the avoidence system. it is standard yes, in the western world. Except here they do sell more "basic" versions for our market where all those "standard" saftey electronics are optional and most don't option em.

Well here's how we drive in Sweden....
so we always go past pass-out 9G turns 🤪

View: https://youtu.be/fEPQSXl9B2U?t=45

CHEERS! 🍻

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well here's how we drive in Sweden....
so we always go past pass-out 9G turns 🤪

View: https://youtu.be/fEPQSXl9B2U?t=45

CHEERS! 🍻
Well technically you are pulling less G cos you are drifiting. No grip, no G :D

But seriously, still very cool! I've seen that one before and a few others with similar old volvos, much love! :) 🍻

It's rather sad that you can't do this with their current cars as they are all FWD

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I have a soft spot for Japanese SUVS and Crossovers (I own a Suzuki Grand Vitara).

I did drive my dad's 2019 RAV4 last year on a road trip to the Oregon coast. My take on the car is that it's comfortable and seemingly reliable. I haven't tasted it off road yet so I can't offer any opinions about the vehicle's capabilities in that department. That being said I've also test driven a 4Runner (Hilux Surf in Europe) and that thing with the proper tires is a legitimate off road vehicle.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I have a soft spot for Japanese SUVS and Crossovers (I own a Suzuki Grand Vitara).

I did drive my dad's 2019 RAV4 last year on a road trip to the Oregon coast. My take on the car is that it's comfortable and seemingly reliable. I haven't tasted it off road yet so I can't offer any opinions about the vehicle's capabilities in that department. That being said I've also test driven a 4Runner (Hilux Surf in Europe) and that thing with the proper tires is a legitimate off road vehicle.
Grand Vitara is a great car, I really like the shape of the 2005-15 3rd gen 5door. It was pretty high on my list (before going with the X3), but couldn't find a decent petrol one, and the pug diesels they use here suck round dangly bits.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Grand Vitara is a great car, I really like the shape of the 2005-15 3rd gen 5door. It was pretty high on my list (before going with the X3), but couldn't find a decent petrol one, and the pug diesels they use here suck round dangly bits.
Yup!

My Grand Vitara is a 2010 model. I've driven everywhere with it. Up mountains and dirt roads that would tear up any sedan, often through Canadian winters. The car has served me well and will continue to do so for hopefully a couple more years.

The down side is the car isn't that great when it comes to fuel efficiency (at least compared to its peers). There's also the issue of Suzuki pulling out of the North American market. Parts will increasingly be difficult to obtain.

Forgot your password?