Wanting a ship to carry a ship...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So I like the idea of having a nippy little snub for taking to races and having a lark about in outside my day job of probably hauling freight. But because its a snub, I need a grown up ship to carry it.

I'm not made of money so pledging for an 890j is not going to happen, but I like the look of the Taurus. Good cargo bay, not too expensive to pledge, but no snub bay. So my question - can that cargo bay fit a Merlin? Just to get it planet to planet? Its either that or strap the '52 to the top of my Aurora which may not be game possible...

...and no, I still don't have a computer capable of running the game.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What about the Andromeda?
Costs a lotta real world dough for a ship I can upgrade to once the game is running and i can make some credits.

I don't mind backing the game, thats the whole point of buying ships, and i would like a ship that can carry a ship but i also don't want to bankrupt myself on something which, lets be honest, i don't even have a computer i can fly it on yet. That's keeping my head screwed on at the moment, another 75 big ones is more than i can afford at the moment.

I don't need a ship that can launch and land a snub in space as i'm not likely to have any crew mates online when i am and i won't be using a snub necessarily for that reason, so just one that i can carry it round on my day off to visit some tracks would be just perfect.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Skyyhawk managed to shove a merlin into a freelancer earlier today.

It exploded though.
Good news, half way there.

Just need to solve the riddle of that Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly. Probably just needed to strap it down properly... or turn off the engines or something.

Beauseant

Commander
Jun 30, 2015
RSI Handle
Beauseant
I would Recommend saving for the Andromeda I'm pretty sure a Taurus just isn't what your are looking for really. As far as I can remember CIG said that because it is a modified hull you can't add a Merlin Docking Collar. So you would have to ship it as Cargo and it would most likely take up 90% of your cargo space if you could even get it to fit. CIG did say that there will be mechanics in the game to transport ships form place to place for some sort of an in game credit fee. It was made in mind for those people who want to get a racing ship to races when the ship couldn't make it on it's own and they can't buy a carrier.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
So I like the idea of having a nippy little snub for taking to races and having a lark about in outside my day job of probably hauling freight. But because its a snub, I need a grown up ship to carry it.

I'm not made of money so pledging for an 890j is not going to happen, but I like the look of the Taurus. Good cargo bay, not too expensive to pledge, but no snub bay. So my question - can that cargo bay fit a Merlin? Just to get it planet to planet? Its either that or strap the '52 to the top of my Aurora which may not be game possible...

...and no, I still don't have a computer capable of running the game.
M50 fits. (tears the wings off though, but you can always repair them..still flies mind you)

Reactions: Reptar Khan

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Suspiciously, i have just been informed I need to spend exactly the same amount of money as getting a Connie on having the flats carpets cleaned before we move out... I suspect someone is watching the forum and informed my Letting Agent so that i can't join in. >:[

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
I thought you could still carry a Merlin on the Taurus, it just didn't come with one.....
No, it has a larger cargo area than the Andromeda or Aquila have, and that doesn't leave room for the Merlin to dock.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I'm deciding between a DUR and a Herald.

I already have a Reclaimer, Aurora, and Hornet Ghost.

CIG is bleeding me. And part of me just wants to dump the 5 grand for the Battle Pack. That would just be insane though.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Remember citizens, we are buying ships to fund development of the game, not to own ships.

A month of hard trading in my Aurora and i could probably have a connie anyway - having a big hangar full of toys is going to be cool as anything, but that means nothing if you can only fly one at once and if you can play your way to what you want - and you only find out what you actually want by playing the finished game.

Spend, yeah, but spend wisely. Never spend more than you can afford to loose to pirates, asteroids, shipjackers etc.

Although this comes from someone thinking about dropping £117 on a connie before they have spent £100 on RAM for a computer which would still be 60% away from being able to play the game even if he bought the RAM...

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I have spent quite a bit funding the game, but it's also a level I'm comfortable with. Although me from 5 years ago would die of shock at that amount, which is why I'm still a little stunned at what I've spent.

This game will, hopefully, be the game I have always wanted. I'm sure lots of you have talked amongst your friends at what kind of mmo you would create if you had the chance. This one has hit the nail on the head for me. And if it delivers then I will not feel any remorse at having spent as much as I have.

I did decide to melt my DUR and buy back the basic LN package, so I have $90 sitting there...dunno what to do with it. I figure I'll buy the DUR in game. It'll give me goals.

Also, as a side note, you said you could probably afford a ship with a month of hard trading. Some of us don't have that kind of play time available. So to me, my time is worth more than the money.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Also, as a side note, you said you could probably afford a ship with a month of hard trading. Some of us don't have that kind of play time available. So to me, my time is worth more than the money.
A very good point indeed - you are not helping to dissuade me from getting a Connie :)

Forgot your password?