Warthog HOTAS Consideration

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
So, I currently own a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. It's a decent joystick for 30 bucks but I have been looking at getting a Warthog. I have two questions.

1. Does the Thrustmaster Warthog have weight to it? I really don't want to have to screw it down to my desk.

2. Does the Thrustmaster Warthog have a smooth action and/or feel? This also apllies to the gazillion switches and buttons on it. Basically, is it easy to use?

Reactions: marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
1. Yes
2. It surely has a smooth action and feel. The push buttons and switches are more sturdy, You should try them out in a store. Yes, it is easy to use.
3. If you are used to fly with roll , which the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro has, then you will miss the roll.

The Warthog used to be $300 in a sale a while ago, so $429.99 looks allot, but for the $429.99 you will get the Thrustmaster TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals for free. You will need them too, so basically it is a good price.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfPoaVephBc

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826280021

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
I got a thrustmaster t flight hotas x for 18€ and I don't regret the buy

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I got a thrustmaster t flight hotas x for 18€ and I don't regret the buy
A good stick doesn't has to be expensive. Good is what will do for you. My previous sticks: microsoft sidewinder, microsoft force feedback, microsoft force feedback 2, Logitech force 3d pro and saitek fly 5 also worked good, only the fly didn't last longer then 3 months.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I have worn out some gravis joysticks. I have worn out 3 Logitech extreme 3d pro joysticks. Good cost effective stick with nowhere near enough buttons for future VR.
I got a hotas wartog setup a few weeks ago and my MFG Crosswinds pedals are a month away from shipping.
It's a lot of money and worth every penny.
I have roll on a front hat on the throttle for now until the pedals come in.
The pedals will give roll and strafe on the pedals I believe.
I always turn off force feedback.

This guy has made some amazing hotas profiles and his latest includes pedals and the cougar mfd.
With the addition of the cougar (or 2) one may never have to touch the keyboard.
It definitely ups your game.
Future VR ready? Oh yeah.

http://3dpipeline.net./

It is a bit tricky at first but he has other documentation available for setup.

There is a ton of information on the RSI web site forums as well.

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
Tell her that all the wives are using it these days!
Negotiations have begun. So far I have her at a maybe, which for her is alot closer to yes than I would have thought. A couple more weeks of timely convincing sessions and I may have a Warthog by September. ;)

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Wow, that vid almost convinced me to buy a Warthog. Can anyone tell me how precise the analogue sticks are (for strafing)?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Actually too precise. It is force actuated, so when using touching it, you are already strafing. I mapped boost at SC. When I boost, it also will strafe. To use full strafe it is not so handy because it is rather small. I mapped strafe at the digital POV CSU/CSD/CSL/CSR, left from the slew.
I used to have strafe on the G13 analogue stick. that was awesome. Unfortunately you can't have all controls perfect.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Ok, thanks for the info. Maybe Warthog Stick and CH Throttle/T16000m then :)

Forgot your password?