WE ARE NOT ALONE ANYMORE!

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
OK, look, so the deal is, every time Humanity finds a new food source, we, uh, over hunt, I guess, the species to extinction. I asked myself if I could find a way to make a win-win situation out of Humanity's, well, greed or gluttony, or both, depending on your point of view. I started thinking that if we can get some good recipes and convince Humans that "Long Shark" is a delicious and excellent food source, we can go a long ways to feeding people and providing a cheap source of delicious protein for meals and prepackaged rations. We never need to worry that the supply will go extinct, because that would just eliminate an even bigger problem than hunger in the verse. Finally, if I, or we, happen to profit and get extremely rich in the process, well, that's not hurting anyone, is it, as long as we are not defrauding or exploiting any Humans?

Gabgrave

Grand Admiral
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Gabgrave
OK, look, so the deal is, every time Humanity finds a new food source, we, uh, over hunt, I guess, the species to extinction. I asked myself if I could find a way to make a win-win situation out of Humanity's, well, greed or gluttony, or both, depending on your point of view. I started thinking that if we can get some good recipes and convince Humans that "Long Shark" is a delicious and excellent food source, we can go a long ways to feeding people and providing a cheap source of delicious protein for meals and prepackaged rations. We never need to worry that the supply will go extinct, because that would just eliminate an even bigger problem than hunger in the verse. Finally, if I, or we, happen to profit and get extremely rich in the process, well, that's not hurting anyone, is it, as long as we are not defrauding or exploiting any Humans?
That's kinda HFY thinking, which might turn all the other civilized alien races against Humanity. I mean, would you trade with a species known to eat sentient beings, no matter how deserving those beings are?

Reactions: Blind Owl

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
That's kinda HFY thinking, which might turn all the other civilized alien races against Humanity. I mean, would you trade with a species known to eat sentient beings, no matter how deserving those beings are?
We already do eat sentient beings. Dolphins, monkeys, whales, even some birds like Magpies, crows and Parrots are on the sentient scale. It's a hotly contested subject but sentience is out there and not as far away from us as we think. Just because my part of the world doesn't eat them anymore, humanity as a species is far from guilt-free in that regard.

Last edited:

Gabgrave

Grand Admiral
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Gabgrave
We already do eat sentient beings. Dolphins, monkeys, whales, even some birds like Magpies, crows and Parrots are on the sentient scale. It's a hotly contested subject but sentience is out there and not as far away from us as we think. Just because my part of the world doesn't eat them anymore, humanity as a species is far from guilt-free in that regard.
The galaxies guide to the human race. Visit the far reaches of space. Explore new worlds. Meet new alien species. And eat them.
Sometimes I wonder, did the guy who wrote "To Serve Man" meant it as a joke, or as a cautionary tale to alien species on how humans can regard foreign lifeforms.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?