We HAD your backs! The story of the Electro Skin Hull comes to an end -- or has it?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
*slams down whiskey bottle*

We've all seen it, we all have likely bought it. But, for those who haven't, you may have to wait to see it in-game.

*pulls cork and lays down two glasses*

What are your thoughts?

*drinks from bottle*
Yeah I've got it... hang on...

*checks hangar*

I've had an melted it several times and it's currently melted but will be reobtained at some point. Same with Shut Up And Take My Money.

When they make it an actual thing I'll probably stop melting it.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Im skeptical that it will ever be used.

Maybe it will end up being some unique logo or light effects, but changing the skins is a monetized featured.
I have various theories about this.

I think the Skins we buy will be able to be swapped at will at ports or wherever we'd spawn the craft, whereas paints will need to be tracked down and applied at paint shops.

I think the Electro Skin will only have one colour option, so it's On or Off with the other ship colour being it's base paint. You'll be able ot flip a switch to turn it on, but I also think when it's on your Electromagnetic signature will go off the charts like a Hornet Tracker will see you from 60km away off the charts.

Just my thinking, but I think they are more viable than they first appear to be. There will be some reason to make buying a skin with IRL money more attractive than the in 'Verse paints you can get with UEC beyond just having a colour scheme you can't get any other way.

Capt. Decker

Captain
Aug 21, 2019
RSI Handle
Frostwire
My current theory behind it is the skins you apply to each ship goes to a paint slot, or multiple paint slots. Then you have this item, which will take up a component slot allowing you to change between two variations of paints. It even stipulates that the item comes with a paint decal. It could be a great way to switch up paints on the fly to evade capture, or spring on an enemy position. Just my .2 creds.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
If I recall right the electro-skin-hull is not meant to actually change the ship hull to look different but only the radar signature.
Example you fly Aurora and add electro-skin then chose to show off a radar image of a Vanguar, HH or even a Idris and then a hostile might think twice to approach you.
Or you fly a Hull-C loaded with value cargo and show of a radar signature of a M50 a hostile might not bother to even look closer at you.
Think that was the original basic idea of that skin, think they might have chewed of a bit more than they can swallow with that one. ( but it'll be cool if that works some day )

The, "we have your back" and "take my money" skin, are basically just color variation with text on.. so nothing fancy really..

CHEERS! 🍻

Side note:! I didn't recall right.. ha ha it was holographic ha ha... Not radar image.. 🤣 :thump:

Last edited:

Capt. Decker

Captain
Aug 21, 2019
RSI Handle
Frostwire
Here's the summary from Ben Lesnik:

"The ElectroSkin Hull Enhancement is a module that you stick into an upgrade slot on your ship, and it can project holographic "skins" around the ship. If you want two ships to have it simultaneously, you need two ESHE mods. The skins are software. The skins cannot be lost, and don't need to be insured. The ESHE is a piece of equipment, and needs upgrade insurance (though I suppose that the ESHE mods you can buy now have LTI). You're limited to carrying two extra skins with you that are loaded into any given ESHE mod, but you can have many more stored in your hangar. The mod has no significant impact on the mass of the ship. The Military Skin and the Pirate Stealth Skin come with an ElectroSkin Hull Enhancement item as well. "

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666

"The ElectroSkin Hull Enhancement is a module that you stick into an upgrade slot on your ship, and it can project holographic "skins" around the ship. If you want two ships to have it simultaneously, you need two ESHE mods. The skins are software. The skins cannot be lost, and don't need to be insured. The ESHE is a piece of equipment, and needs upgrade insurance (though I suppose that the ESHE mods you can buy now have LTI). You're limited to carrying two extra skins with you that are loaded into any given ESHE mod, but you can have many more stored in your hangar. The mod has no significant impact on the mass of the ship. The Military Skin and the Pirate Stealth Skin come with an ElectroSkin Hull Enhancement item as well. "
Yeah right, it was holographic ha ha... Not radar image.. 😂 :thump:

CHEERS! 🍻

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
My initial 3 forays into supporting SC were :

SC - 1st 3 Hangar Items.PNG

Just for the sake of breaking the immersion of those that take themselves WAY TOO seriously, I'd love to install the Electro Skin Hull on a military capital ship & then just as combat is about to begin, activate it to change into the Star Kitten skin. "That's right, Hello Kitty's big brother just opened up a Hull E's worth of Austin 3:16 on your cotton candy ass."

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
*slams down whiskey bottle*

We've all seen it, we all have likely bought it. But, for those who haven't, you may have to wait to see it in-game.

*pulls cork and lays down two glasses*

What are your thoughts?

*drinks from bottle*
I dont think its gone, it is just removed from the current system like all others auroras skins to be reworked.
Looking ahead, we’ll begin the gradual process of migrating older paints to this new system, so as an example, previously released skins such as the various Aurora skins will soon be swappable and useable for Aurora owners.
Source : https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17610-Paints-And-You

All the skins from add-on shop were removed around the time of this post during Invictus event and the introduction of the paint-jobs shop.

I have never really paid attention to what this skin characteristic really was. I'm glad i got a few in hangar and even more in buybacks.

As long as our Stealth Autora’s are still ok.
View attachment 18132
Was this skin only for Auroras? I got a few dozens (the renamed ones, Dread pirate skin, formerly Blackbeard Stealth skin) but i always thought it would apply to any ship like the Electro.

BuzZz_Killer

Captain
Jun 9, 2020
RSI Handle
BuzZz_Killer
I've got several legacy skins and items in my hangar that I'm curious about the future of. I have the SXSW skin for the aurora as well as the UEE skin. The various Greycat PTV colors, as well as the Electro Hull and other "General Skins" like it.

But the biggest one I'd like clarification on is this beauty I picked up during a Veteran's Day special a several years ago. Do I get the sleek new model geometry? Or is it just a weapon/component/armor upgrade? What if I apply it to a super hornet, do I keep the second seat? It's been a long time sitting in my account with little to no further explanation since release.

Military Hornet.JPG

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
But the biggest one I'd like clarification on is this beauty I picked up during a Veteran's Day special a several years ago. Do I get the sleek new model geometry? Or is it just a weapon/component/armor upgrade? What if I apply it to a super hornet, do I keep the second seat? It's been a long time sitting in my account with little to no further explanation since release.

View attachment 18164
It is more than an upgrade kit, you get a Hornet A fuselage instead of a C, it is a hull skin conversion, not an equipment upgrade. Your Super Hornet will benefit from this too, not just an F7-M. If you have spares i'm very interested in one 😃

We initially built the F7A Hornet for Squadron 42, and for use by the UEE Navy in Star Citizen, and until now had no plans on releasing it to the public as a ship option. Because we feel so strongly about what the Play to Give Back charity does, we decided to make the upgrade available initially on a limited basis. The upgrade packs will ultimately change the fuselage of your F7M Hornet to match the F7A. If you have a Hornet variant (like the Tracker, Ghost or Super Hornet) the upgrade can be applied to change the styling without eliminating your additional upgrade modules. This is more than a skin; in the game world, it’s an after-market fuselage update kit; we’ll be updating the whole geometry of the ship.
The F7A upgrade does not change the base stats of the Hornet. It does not activate additional hardpoints or engine capacity. There will be an impact from the change in fuselage, as the silhouette of the ship will be altered.
The F7A upgrade does not remove the second seat from users who have purchased a Super Hornet.

Last edited:

BuzZz_Killer

Captain
Jun 9, 2020
RSI Handle
BuzZz_Killer
It is more than an upgrade kit, you get a Hornet A fuselage instead of a C, it is a hull skin conversion, not an equipment upgrade. Your Super Hornet will benefit from this too, not just an F7-M. If you have spares i'm very interested in one 😃

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification! Alas, I only have the one.

Zadig

Space Marshal
May 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Dreadmort
quick question, do we know if these old skins are/will be ship specific? I can't remember if, say the dread pirate one for example, is only compatible for auroras... monetized paint jobs makes sense but I'm a bit gutted for these skins we were waiting for

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
quick question, do we know if these old skins are/will be ship specific? I can't remember if, say the dread pirate one for example, is only compatible for auroras... monetized paint jobs makes sense but I'm a bit gutted for these skins we were waiting for
From this post they mention them as aurora skins.
It was not clearly specified it was for aurora in the item description for those items but the dread pirate item picture show an aurora so i dont know. I am assuming they are for aurora. Some of those old skins like exploration skin or false colours skin did not have any picture unlike SXSW or UEE distinguished service or operation pitchfork which all show auroras

Looking ahead, we’ll begin the gradual process of migrating older paints to this new system, so as an example, previously released skins such as the various Aurora skins will soon be swappable and useable for Aurora owners.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I can help a little on some of this as a bit over a month ago I sent in a question to Concierge Services. Here was there response.

SC - Ship Skins Request Response.PNG

I was planning on gifting a certain TESTie that had done something nice for me the Distinguished Service Skin, but it was removed from the store before I had the funds in my account to do so at that time. When the next availability comes though, I'll be happy to reward that person with their surprise. If they read this, then they might know that it's them I'm referring to.

Zadig

Space Marshal
May 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Dreadmort
From this post they mention them as aurora skins.
It was not clearly specified it was for aurora in the item description for those items but the dread pirate item picture show an aurora so i dont know. I am assuming they are for aurora. Some of those old skins like exploration skin or false colours skin did not have any picture unlike SXSW or UEE distinguished service or operation pitchfork which all show auroras

Thanks for clarifying this! I'll let this one go if it's for aurora only, as I realised I got my hands on the mercury skin a while back :)

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?