marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Before 2.6 it was possible to reconfigure weapon groups. If you want to fly mixed, this is a very good way to conserve ammo while keeping your repeaters on target.

For example, with a Delta I would set 2x CF117 Badgers repeaters in weapon group 1, 2x 9-Series Longswords in weapon group 2 and the rockets pods in weapon group 3. This way I can save Longsword ammo when not necessary and keep the Badgers from a long distance on target.
With a Super Hornet I would set the S3 wing weapons and the S3 nose weapon in weapon group 1, the turret weapon in weapon group 2.

In 2.6 this isn't possible anymore, only 2 weapon groups left instead of 4 weapon groups, in HUD you can add weapons to a weapon group but you can't remove them from a weapon group. This limits the weapon configuration and costs valuable ammo.

While flying the Delta, I noticed that you can use certain weapons selectively. If you fire a weapon, release the trigger and immediately start firing again, not all weapons will fire.
For the Delta this means that you can switch from all 4 weapons to 2 weapons with a quick trigger trick: pull the trigger, release and quickly pull the trigger again. The Badgers will keep firing while the Longswords aren't firing. By doing the same trick again, the Longswords and Badgers both will fire.

The Warlock also has a weapon group problem. Because the EMP puls is fired with weapon group 2, the Tigerstreik and the 2 wing weapons will shoot together, costing a lot of Tigerstreik ammo. For the Warlock the trigger trick unfortunately works the wrong way. You can enable and disable the wing guns with the trigger trick.

My favorite Super Hornet loadout, 3x Mantis GT-220 and 2x CF-117 Badger repeaters on the turret, also depends on weapon group configuration. In 2.6 the S3 wing guns are in weapon group 1, the nose gun and turret gun are in weapon group 2. I can add the nose gun to weapon group 1, but it still will spill valuable ammo while using weapon group 2. For this problem I also found a good solution.
First I add the nose gun to weapon group 1, pull trigger 1, pull trigger 2 and quickly release trigger 1. The 3 Mantis will spin up, the 2 Badgers will start shooting and the nose gun, my 3rd Mantis will stop spinning up when I release trigger 2.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
It seems horrifically late to me to still see troubles like these. Any chance they'll be fixed in 3.0?
The switch from 2.5 to 2.6 showed some setbacks, party system needed it's time untill it was fairly usable again in 2.6.3, HUD functionality was changed, still improving, so with some luck, the HUD will be usable again in 3.0 and if not, there surely will be workarounds to bypass the temporary setbacks.

Reactions: Blind Owl

SneakyPete

Captain
Donor
Feb 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Wolfpack9
We have a couple of testing brackets set up in June. When these are locked in definite dates I will go in and test this specifically.The inability to set and select weapons groups without an MFD is important. What I set on the Joystick needs to stay that way. Looking at the IC reports you do not want to have an all ballistic loadout and get hit with a warlock's EMP.

Reactions: Blind Owl

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Looking at the IC reports you do not want to have an all ballistic loadout and get hit with a warlock's EMP.
Nope, but when you replace the 3 Mantis with 3 CF227 Panthers, you also don't want to heat up your Panthers before the target is in a good range, however, spamming your target with CF117 Badgers while you approach will make your target more evasive while you save your Panthers for close range.
I tried to play with weapon groups while testing the trigger behaviour. It seems like the weapon group configuration now is more persistent, you can't remove weapons from a weapon group which you assigned manually by going EVA or refill. You need to respawn to reset your weapon groups.

The inability to set and select weapons groups without an MFD is important.
A HUD less configuration surely is important. Without HUD / MFD configuration it will be possible to reconfigure your weapon groups with external macros, MFD's, voice attack, power grid or whatever you want to do. Transferri the ingame MFD to an external touch screen would be even much better!!! The same for shields, power, navigation. I would hookup a bunch of tablets to do this outside SC.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
3.0 will bring with it the full implementation of Item System 2.0 which has always been the intended system. What we have currently is a quasi-bandaid patchwork placeholder. This functionality should come online with everything else.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
A HUD less configuration surely is important. Without HUD / MFD configuration it will be possible to reconfigure your weapon groups with external macros, MFD's, voice attack, power grid or whatever you want to do. Transferri the ingame MFD to an external touch screen would be even much better!!! The same for shields, power, navigation. I would hookup a bunch of tablets to do this outside SC
I'd like to learn how to do this. Weapons groups and shields specifically. Is it very hard to do?
3.0 will bring with it the full implementation of Item System 2.0 which has always been the intended system. What we have currently is a quasi-bandaid patchwork placeholder. This functionality should come online with everything else.
I hope so. I'd prefer not to have to remember 500 buttons etc.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I'd like to learn how to do this. Weapons groups and shields specifically. Is it very hard to do?
Untill now weapon groups are pure speculation. Shields and power (when power still worked) was done with key presses. I bound shield to my strafe stick POV, but it doesn't work like the ingame MFD. I really wish that CIG will make an API to do it graphical external.

I hope so. I'd prefer not to have to remember 500 buttons etc
If CIG makes an open API, then surely smart people will find a way to do it easily. Otherwise smart people will find a workaround.

SneakyPete

Captain
Donor
Feb 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Wolfpack9
Item Port 2.0 has a lot to address.Whilst perusing the IC I noticed many a post on weapons groups not working/being selectable/assignable.If 2.0 lives up to the hype of giving us the niftiness of the holotable without the hassles, and the selectivity of the 2.2 hud and weapons grouping then Cats around the world will be furious Because CIG managed to steal all the Meows and give them IP2.0 (The Cat's Meow)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Untill now weapon groups are pure speculation. Shields and power (when power still worked) was done with key presses. I bound shield to my strafe stick POV, but it doesn't work like the ingame MFD. I really wish that CIG will make an API to do it graphical external.

If CIG makes an open API, then surely smart people will find a way to do it easily. Otherwise smart people will find a workaround.
I thought there was a method of binding things to touch screens, IE tablets?

Reactions: marcsand2

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Item Port 2.0 has a lot to address.Whilst perusing the IC I noticed many a post on weapons groups not working/being selectable/assignable.If 2.0 lives up to the hype of giving us the niftiness of the holotable without the hassles, and the selectivity of the 2.2 hud and weapons grouping then Cats around the world will be furious Because CIG managed to steal all the Meows and give them IP2.0 (The Cat's Meow)
One can hope.
Wait. Did I already say that?
Nope. OK. Swell. Not being repetitious.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I thought there was a method of binding things to touch screens, IE tablets?
Currently the ROCCAT Power-grid functions are done by keypress macros, no feedback from SC. This means that you can only use the star citizen keypress functions like shield full forward, shield full rear, no analog control, increase, decrease. Your touch screen won't have the current setting / position on the shield triangle because there is no feedback from SC.
upload_2017-6-8_7-59-35.png

For shield and power this could be approximately calculated to give you an impression about what the current setting is. Weapons and weapon groups are more complicated because every ship has different weapons, mounts.

I want to replace the ingame MFDs by external MFDs (tablets). Now I won't check my ingame MFDs because during battle I don't have time to check them, but the MFDs have important information like ammo, heat, missiles. The target status, own ship status can stay on screen, but the rest of the info is literally lost during battle because it is inaccessible.

SneakyPete

Captain
Donor
Feb 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Wolfpack9
Marcsand2 It would be awesome to have two way info with Roccat and SC. Those pilots who take the time to put their passion of the game in the form of simpit creation could really use that functionality.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Marcsand2 It would be awesome to have two way info with Roccat and SC.
Roccat won't do good enough for 2 way, it is a grid (4 x 6) of buttons, not very graphical. If Roccat makes a much finer grid or even free positional objects and touch coordinates, than it would be perfect.
Those pilots who take the time to put their passion of the game in the form of simpit creation could really use that functionality.
I build one, it isn't a real simpit, it is a mount for my controls and displays, no extra button boards or fancy lights, it's build for maximum comfort and best controllability. I placed 2 tablets on it with a spot reserved for a third. Maybe I also put 2 7" tablets behind the MFDs, but right now I don't have any use for the tablets, so I am waiting for the SC API to do 2 way info.

SneakyPete

Captain
Donor
Feb 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Wolfpack9
Don't look for Item Port 2.0 to fix grouping. It is not on the list of 2.0 inclusion. It is my assessment that That option was removed for the MFD's maybe only temporary . I can choose between two groups with my joystick but that's it. I have asked this question in two places in a section that cannot be named.

Forgot your password?