Welcome to the age of expensive pixels...

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I can't even be mad. We (read: gamers as a whole) brought ourselves here. There's no changing it. There's no going back.

Caution: rant following...

I hear and read a truckload of "feedback" regarding the state of the gaming industry and it's monetization schemes. From lootboxes, to DLC, and for us reeeeaaaallly expensive pixels (aka, $1,400 internet spaceships), the price just keeps on climbing. Once upon a time, you spent around $90 for a console and $40-50 on a game and that was it. If it was really complex you might spring for a game guide but once you bought the game, the transaction was over.

Now, it doesn't stop at the game's purchase. That's only the beginning. You spend $60 on the game, another $20 on the super digital deluxe limited edition with early access, and then $10-to-$holyfuckingshit.00 per month on the cash shop. Then you have games that pre-sell advantage by way of progression during the games funding. They are everywhere. SC is one of those. Please don't misunderstand. I know that things are in development, but if an hour long mission pays out 4k and a Hammerhead costs 21.5m, you are buying over 5,000 hours worth of in-game farming (based on citizencon2018 demo numbers). FFS, a 40 hour work week will only net around 2,000 hours per year.

But we buy it anyway. I'm right there with them. I had a Hammerhead in my fleet mere minutes after I found out it existed. I've bought game currency and loot boxes in dozens of games and I will do it again. Hell, I've bought in-game currency in a game that I was currently complaining was P2W... Where does it stop though. EA took a metric fuckton (approx. 2.5 shitloads) of grief over monetization in Star Wars Battlefront II. This occurred at the same time as Activision/Blizzard was in the middle of netting $4,000,000,000.000 profit in "in-game net bookings" (dlc, lootboxes, cash shop, etc.). A.K.A. the same shit EA was getting flamed for. I know there are differences between the two situations, but are there? Really?

The only real differences are in perception, application, and management. The biggest beef is on PVP based games. If someone can jump into a game, pay a ton of cash, and instantly get advantage, people will get mad. It's a legitimate beef. It sucks when you have hundreds of farming hours into a game and someone with a ton more real life financial success can just step in and squash you like a bug before they even know the base mechanics. The second biggest issue is when the developer is an idiot, removes known content prior to release, and places it behind a secondary pay wall. It all boils down to management really. For instance, EA has trash credibility with gamers. Activision/Blizzard on the other hand has some of the best community managers I've ever seen in gaming. One just tossed out monetization and the other carefully planned and managed it.

Is monetization really a problem though? Is it really that absurd? Lets look at alternative costs per hour of entertainment. If you go to the movies (properly equipped with soda and popcorn), it's $10 per hour. If you go to the bar, it can be $20-$100 per hour. If you want some culture, it gets even more expensive. A ticket to "Hamilton" is at minimum $199 and it lasts for 3 hours. You can run numbers from pool halls, bowling alleys, mini golf courses, go-carts, etc. and you will find anywhere from $10-$50 per hour on average for entertainment.

So for the gaming industry, there is plenty of money left on the table. We are used to spending far more money per hour for our entertainment. That's why Activision/Blizzard cleared a drama free $4b in revenue after game sales. The money is there. I can't fault them for trying to get at it. The same goes for Star Citizen. I can't fault them for charging $1,400 to buy a carrier. It sold out and they got a large chunk of money to keep the payroll going. Is it expensive? Hell yea it is. Should it be? Absolutely. It represents thousands of hours in-game. Honestly though, if you compare it with real life entertainment costs I would wager you could get quite a bit more value per hour out of that ship than you could out of bar hopping or cinema visits.

[/rant]

TLDR: The P2W argument is twisted and based on perception. Overpriced pixels aren't actually overpriced to a gamer by price per hour standards. Back in my day, games were uphill both ways in the snow...

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I agree 100% with your TLDR

my $15/mo Eve Online subscription was a tremendous entertainment value on a price per hour basis

if I can spend that much to avoid the grind in Star Citizen I won't hesitate to do so

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I have a bigger problem when it's obvious a game has been fully fleshed out and made as good as can be, and then is sliced up in to microtransactions to get the most out of it.

So you buy "the game" for $45 which seems like good value but then the "enhanced armour pack" costs $10 and the "enhanced weapons pack" costs $15 and the "vehicle pack" costs $20 and before long what doesn't have any right being over $60 is now $90 to get the full experience that was originally intended.

Twists my tits, man - Evolve looked awesome but with 90% of its content locked behind microtransactions I didn't even get my wallet out of my pocket.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .but if an hour long mission pays out 4k and a Hammerhead costs 21.5m, you are buying over 5,000 hours worth of in-game farming.
Yes, but what is the alternative? Any game developer wants as many people to be able to play as possible, and people to pay as much as possible. The fact you can find ways to buy an expensive ship in game is encouraging, and no one wanting to earn an HH is going to do it with 4k missions. They'll probably earn a big shipping bird and grind with that, and be able to buy an HH in a few months.

Note that SC does have a great equalizer, even more potent than the maintenance costs--teamwork is going to rule. There isn't going to be much place for people to pay a couple thousand dollars, buy a Javelin, crew it with NPC's, then go romp. People who try that are going to find that solo play doesn't work quite the way they want. So whether you are grinding, or paying for the birds you want to fly, you are still stuck with needing the relationships with real people to be effective in game. That is a huge equalizer, IMHO.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
@Bruttle

SC is not the first game in the history with expensive "payware" addons. I'm sure you have heard of Microsoft Flight Simulator. At some point Microsoft allowed independent designers to create airports, scenery and aircraft. While there were many amazing freeware addons, the list of the payware ones grew quickly. At the end of an MSFS era even Microsoft offered a lot of DLCc -- all of them were very expensive; 100-200 USD each, as far as I remember.

I personally never purchased any of those -- I switched to X-Plane around 2004 when I was beginning my real flight training -- but I had a lot of friends who spent hundreds of dollars on MSFS and FSX (Flight Simulator X) addons. Some of the guys are flying in commercial airlines in real life today, some of them are flying army choppers, but for the most of the people it was just an expensive hobby, hobby that never paid off.

Take a look at those threads (incl. a pool); there were thousands of enthusiasts who spend a lot of money on both flight sim software and hardware;

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?279840-How-much-have-you-spent-on-FSX-Addons
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/405981-money-spend-on-addons/
https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/4h9oam/how_much_money_have_you_spent_on_flight_sim/

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Man, I feel ya. I completely concur with your thoughts. The money vs time debate is one that i completely agree with. If i can spend 50-100 bucks to keep my on level with the guys who have the time to play 40 hours a week, then fuck yeah, I'll pay. Especially if it's a game I freaking love.

You're right: it is perception. And games like SC and companies like blizzard have gotten it right.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Man, I feel ya. I completely concur with your thoughts. The money vs time debate is one that i completely agree with. If i can spend 50-100 bucks to keep my on level with the guys who have the time to play 40 hours a week, then fuck yeah, I'll pay. Especially if it's a game I freaking love.

You're right: it is perception. And games like SC and companies like blizzard have gotten it right.
As you said, i'm busy as fuck nowadays, I like SC because it seems to let me have equal footing with those who have 60 hours a week to play while I have college or work. Plus I has an 890 and Kraken now so I win the game.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
As you said, i'm busy as fuck nowadays, I like SC because it seems to let me have equal footing with those who have 60 hours a week to play while I have college or work. Plus I has an 890 and Kraken now so I win the game.
Haha, I say all that, but I sold my account a couple months ago and literally have two ships...
And an org full of you pixel lovin' peoples with many many ships who shall need crew.

I win the game.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Haha, I say all that, but I sold my account a couple months ago and literally have two ships...
And an org full of you pixel lovin' peoples with many many ships who shall need crew.

I win the game.
You know my 890 always needs its token drunk. I will keep a room ready for ya! Or on the Kraken, whichever one is clear at the time lol.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Okay lets be honest here as a silly spent loads backer if you was just buying this finished game via download you would expect to pay $50 bucks or so, plus some on going costs. So the spending is not really rational. I am therefore quite mad!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I just spent a day hunting for where to find RDR2 for the cheapest possible price but am apparently willing to hand over money for pretend spaceships which only exist as .jpg’s.

Confused.
who are we to stand in judgement of your priorities?

Forgot your password?