What a great day for the Russian Nation

Aleph0Null

Grand Admiral
Apr 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Aleph0Null
At 2:10 am Moscow time on May 9, 1945, the sonorous, measured voice of radio announcer Yuri Levitan declared: “Germany has been entirely vanquished.” The final treaty had been signed in Berlin. At first, figures tentatively emerged into the balmy Moscow morning, some in pajamas, others in suits. By evening, Red Square was heaving – people dancing, kissing and laughing, fireworks flashing above. However, the festivities did not obscure the costs: In the Soviet Union, at least 27 million people had been killed (out of a total of 55 million fatalities in WWII), while many cities, towns, and villages lay in ruins. After the iconic parade in June, there were no celebratory marches for two decades. Yet the Great Patriotic War, which started for the Soviets in 1941, united the entire nation and remains a centerpiece of Russia’s consciousness.

"Dear veterans, dear soldiers, and sailors, dear sergeants, and majors, warrant officers! Comrades, officers, and admirals. I wish you a happy Victory Day!

Seventy-two years have passed, but the 9th of May was, is and will be our main holiday. This is the day of national triumph and pride. The day of mourning and eternal memory. This is a holiday that demonstrates the winning power of patriotism.

We must be worthy the deeds of our fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers, who protected our home soil and smashed Nazism. The victory was carved out on the frontline and in the rear, in the partisan units and underground. It was brought nearer by the courage of defenders of the besieged Leningrad (Saint-Petersburg) and bravery of defenders of Sevastopol, the valor of thousands of soldiers who stood firm defending their positions.

The outcome of the entire World War II was determined in the brutal battles of Moscow and Stalingrad (Volgograd), Kursk and Dnieper.

The Soviet people's unbending will, fearlessness, and firmness saved Europe from slavery. It was our native country that drove the fascists out of their den and accomplished their crushing and final defeat at the price of millions of lives and ordeals. We will always cherish this sacred and unfading truth. And we will never allow the betrayal and oblivion of the heroes – all those who selflessly safeguarded peace on our planet.

Dear friends, today we are honoring the memory of those killed in the war, those who are not with us today. Every family honors their devotion to the Motherland. The continuous link between generations is our national wealth. The strength and dignity of Russia are based on it.

We are thanking our veterans. We are proud of you! On this solemn day, there is nobody closer and dearer than you. It is in your honor there are flowers and fireworks, and the might of the parade units. But the main thing is that we are giving you the warmth of our hearts! You did not only go through all the hardships of the war, but you restored the country afterward and worked for the common welfare. You were capable of making friends and enjoying life and passed down to us the need to keep the same heights -- the height of unity, creation, and love of the Motherland. We will never let you down. We will take care of Russia and its glorious history and we will always put service to the Motherland at the very top -- that is how it has always been in our country. And I am sure that is how it will be in the future! Glory to the people - victors!

Happy Victory Day!" -Vladimir Putin 9th May 2016.

Let us all remember the horrors of the war, no madman shall wield so much power ever again.
Today at 9:00 AM GMT+5 the national parade will begin. I'll be there with a framed photo of my grandfather, he was one of the first casualties of the siege of Leningrad. Veterans slowly pass away, it up to us, their children and grandchildren to keep their legacy.

Please restrain any thoughts on you have on the Russian government of today to yourself.
This threat is about the bravery of soldiers, soldiers who fought against the Nazi regime. keep your comments clean and respecting.

Last edited:

Elmy

Admiral
Feb 20, 2017
RSI Handle
Elmy-pcc
This is true. I know Russia came in over to Norway in the north and drove off the German soldiers. Unfortunately the German soldiers also burned down everything up here while at it to slow down the Russian soldiers.
But all that is history now.
Unfortunatly as of todays situation in the world. There are 3 governments in the world I don't trust much. Russia would be one of them.
North Korea and as of late the US goverment.

In the end I hope they all get some kind of peace agreement so they don't suddenly start a war out of nowhere.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
In the UK there is the red Remembrance Day (November 11th) poppy badge which is a bit of green plastic and red cardboard in the shape of a poppy that people wear to remember the sacrifice of "our brave lads" which came around after WW1, it is worth noting such huge sacrifice.

There is also an internationally recognised white one which came in to being at the same time, which is to remember everyone. Soldiers, Civilians, Allies and those who fought on both sides, everyone who perished in the wars and any war.

If you are conscripted and told to go to battle or be shot as a deserter, you go to battle no matter what the instructions are. In war there are more innocent victims than just the civilians who get caught up in it. My partner told me about her German great uncle who went on the run from the Gestapo after refusing to join up, and evaded them for two years. He was shot in the leg at some point so went from being "on the run" to being "on the hop". She laughs at that line, but no one knows what happened to him. The assumption is they caught and disposed of him.

I am a pacifist, and one year attempted to buy a white poppy. Could not get one anywhere, so I bought a red one and cut out a white bit of card in the same shape and wore that. To placate people, I also had a red one on right next to it - it was November 11th after all. I managed to offend a lot of people wearing a white poppy and spent a long time explaining to people what it meant.

Thank you for your post, it is a timely reminder of what all nations have gone through to get to where we are today. We will remember the sacrifice of old and as best we can learn from the lessons of our shared history.

Forgot your password?