What books are you currently reading

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Just finished the third book in Jim Hines' Libromancy series, and very fond of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. Also have read Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear and The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan. That's in the last week or so; I read books ravenously, and just got a new Kindle to support my reading habit. In fact, I also read several online serials that update regularly, just to try and have something to read that won't murder my wallet. Got to have it healthy for the next ship CR puts out, after all...

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard

I found this to be a quite gripping documentary of humankind's everlasting personal struggle with both the physical and conceptual manifestations of doo-doo. The climax and denouement of the book's main supposition will leave you grunting for more, yet satisfied with what has been piled up in the bowl of truth and fucking LOL I can't keep this up. XD

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I feel like people in general ruin everything regardless of religion. Stalin was a die hard atheist, as was most of the russian communist party. Religion of any kind was discouraged and in some cases directly punished. Much of religion is just another way for people to separate themselves from those they deem inferior. They would, and do, find something else instead if religion is unattractive to them as a method of subversion or creating artifical (in some cases, VERY real) social stratification.

WhooptyWoo

Admiral
Donor
Jul 18, 2014
RSI Handle
WhooptyWoo
I just finished the Conqueror series by Timothy Zahn. It was pretty good. I thought the ending was kinda meh, but I enjoyed the journey.

Reading the old extended universe star wars books and marveling at the lack of continuity.
I was thinking about trying some of Zahn's Star Wars novels next. Have you read any of those, and if so would you recommend?

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
Currently, Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. It's a book about an AI that used to control a huge spaceship and like 20 different bodies but is now just in one human body.

Recently I re-read both Snow Crash and Ready Player One, two of my favorites.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I just finished the Conqueror series by Timothy Zahn. It was pretty good. I thought the ending was kinda meh, but I enjoyed the journey.

I was thinking about trying some of Zahn's Star Wars novels next. Have you read any of those, and if so would you recommend?
The Hand of Thrawn series was great, so was the original Thrawn series(Heir to the Empire, etc). Outbound Flight was awesome as well.

Agent_Mothman

Space Marshal
Aug 8, 2014
RSI Handle
CubCadet1972
Re-reading the Hobbit/ LOTR series for the 30th time, as well as "The Last Wish" by Andrej Sapkowski. Just finished "Krampus" by Bron.

JacknHoffa

Lieutenant
Nov 23, 2014
RSI Handle
JacknHoffa
Ive started rereading William Durant's The Story of Civilization. Good read if you have nothing but time on you agenda.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

Honestly, I'll read anything that Zahn has authored. I love his writing style, however he chooses to apply it.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
The Hand of Thrawn series was great, so was the original Thrawn series(Heir to the Empire, etc). Outbound Flight was awesome as well.
You can't go wrong with Thrawn series.... just the best StarWars books that really made the expanded universe what it is...

I'm trying to find some good "space pirate" books... any recommendations on that? Outside the Star Wars universe I just can't think of anything that captures the smuggler/pirate that get in fantasy novels.... anything let me know!

Husker

Grand Admiral
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Husker2166
Any time the subject of books are brought up I always feel the need to tell everyone about the Dresden Files. Such a good series.

Reactions: WarrenPeace

the_angry_angel

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
the_angry_angel
Just finishing off Alan Campbell - The Art of Hunting, and I've got Brandon Sanderson - The Way of Kings (Part 1) queued up next. Not sure what's next after that. Maybe the new William Gibson book.

Clowdy Howdy

Captain
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Clowdy Howdy
Lamb: The gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal. - Christopher Moore.

If you haven't read any C. Moore (butts) the guy is fucking hilarious and if you find sacreligous humor entertaining this is the book for you. Biff (named after the sound his mothers hand makes when it collides with the back of his head) was Yeshua's best friend, and also the one who would try all of the crazy shit that Jesus wouldn't do.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I'm rereading everything William Gibson has written, currently Burning Chrome

Reactions: The Chaos Pope
Forgot your password?