What do you look for in SC spaceships these days?

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Yeah, I do worry a bit about the Mercury's self defense capability. 2 pilot controlled S2 gimbals and a pair of 2xS2 turrets isnt a huge amount. The missiles are also uh....yeah. oh boy, TWO whole S2 missiles! Yeehaw

Obviously the Mercury isnt a combat ship and shouldn't be swatting fighters out of the sky, but I do think it should be faster than her current slated speed in between the Cutlass and Freelancer. Maybe a bit lower on the emissions by default too?
This is why I'm gonna fit one of mine with full stealth components and the 2nd one full mil spec.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
She's in North America. I'm...not. haha.

I've never actually considered having 2 of the same ship until Sunder mentioned that though. Now I'm thinking.
In the meantime, I'm trying to be patient, waiting for the anniversary sale and CitizenCon.
I hadn't intended to have 2 but when the sale happened in March and I had some store credit I jumped on it.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The one thing not mentioned so far is the view. What good is travelling through space if you can't see it. The Connie may be boring, but you won't get lost in it. The exterior looks like someone threw up a box of greebles all over it. But the obstructed view, absolutely kills it for me.

The more I look at what we currently have in the PU the more range I want in a ship.

For example Pyro is a mess, both in environment and politically.
Given the bands of pirates that infest it and are at war with each other and a star that tries to kill everything in the system it isn't likely to have much in the way of resources, like truckstops.

So leaving from Stanton, headed to the Pyro jump point. Crossing to Pyro, transiting the Pyro system to the next jump point, and getting to someplace useful in the next system on a tank of gas is likely to be important.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
The one thing not mentioned so far is the view. What good is travelling through space if you can't see it. The Connie may be boring, but you won't get lost in it. The exterior looks like someone threw up a box of greebles all over it. But the obstructed view, absolutely kills it for me.
View doesn't bother me too much if the glass itself is free of most obstructions. I like the Freelancer despite its narrow visor like field of vision.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Course, it could be worse. Could be stuck with the little old lady view of the Cutlass, or did they ever resolve that? Always felt like a midget in a monster truck.
I can't get over the C-47 held together with 100 MPH tape vibe I get off the Cutlass and Caterpillar.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I hadn't intended to have 2 but when the sale happened in March and I had some store credit I jumped on it.
Yeah, you got me thinking now. Keeping two will really depend on what comes down the pipe at the Con/anniversary sale.
The more I look at what we currently have in the PU the more range I want in a ship.
Concur. A whole bunch actually. Carrack and Sentinel are ranged. I think the Merc is. I hope it is. A transport without range would be kinda dumb.
I know right, sounds like a blast!
Right? The kinda place that I think I could spend a fair amount of time.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Yeah, I do worry a bit about the Mercury's self defense capability. 2 pilot controlled S2 gimbals and a pair of 2xS2 turrets isnt a huge amount. The missiles are also uh....yeah. oh boy, TWO whole S2 missiles! Yeehaw

Obviously the Mercury isnt a combat ship and shouldn't be swatting fighters out of the sky, but I do think it should be faster than her current slated speed in between the Cutlass and Freelancer. Maybe a bit lower on the emissions by default too?
Hmm I disagree with that...
Not considering missile capability that sucks, weapon related, even if undergunned for a ship of that size, are not all around bad: I do bounty hunting in my Mustang with a 2xS2 nose turret and 2xS1 fixed (and no missiles...).
Looking that way the Starrunner with 2 2xS2 turret feel much an improvement, also taking into account the reduced mobility and the upgraded shields...

I won't say it's a combat ship, but I think it will manage some light combat mission, the kinnd of mission you'll be able to do in a starter ship or equivalent one at least.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Damn it!
I may have come up with the answer to my Vanguard Sentinel + Warden BUK issue.

The modularity is supposed to go across all 4 Vanguards now.

It also covers what to do with my Gladius.

Gladius to Hoplite.

Stealthy Vanguard, Fighter Vanguard, mix and match.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Damn it!
I may have come up with the answer to my Vanguard Sentinel + Warden BUK issue.

The modularity is supposed to go across all 4 Vanguards now.

It also covers what to do with my Gladius.

Gladius to Hoplite.

Stealthy Vanguard, Fighter Vanguard, mix and match.
Great to hear you got the info you needed to assist with your plan 🙂

I did a bit of melty-shifty and alongside my Sentinel I now have a Hornet Ghost, so if the Vanguard isn't 100% sneaky I now have something with a modifier that supposedly is, or at least is closer to.

Ship name changes ahoy,

The Ghost is now called "Lopeta Tama" ('Stop This' in the Finnish language. Geddit? Stop? Finish?). Incidentally this is the second time I've had a Ghost with the name "Lopeta Tama" and it was the Ghost that I originally gave the name to when I came up with it. I could never get over how good it was to break a missile lock and then not have it reacquire you instantly. Good feature we'll see how long it lasts before being CCU'd being now slanted as a carrier/shorter range fighter it doesn't seem like it will meet my needs in the 'Verse..

The Sentinel, previously 'Lopeta Tama', is now 'Electric Mayhem', previously the name of an Avanger Warlock before I CCU'd it into something else. I had chosen the name partly in honor of Montoyas house being struck by lightening all the time and partly in homage to the band in the Muppets, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. It's got an EMP it's gotta be called Electric Mayhem.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?