What drives the price increases?

Reventlov

Commander
Oct 2, 2020
RSI Handle
Reventlov
I don't really have a head for business (sadly), so I'm a bit miffed as to why ship prices continually increase. Is it a balance thing? Or has CIG simply realized that people will just keep blowing more cash? Seems like they're going to price themselves right into a revenue drop at some point. Sorry for the dumb question, but can anyone shed light on the reasoning?

Reactions: Scape and vahadar

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I don't really have a head for business (sadly), so I'm a bit miffed as to why ship prices continually increase. Is it a balance thing? Or has CIG simply realized that people will just keep blowing more cash? Seems like they're going to price themselves right into a revenue drop at some point. Sorry for the dumb question, but can anyone shed light on the reasoning?
its not dumb, we don't know.

1. Ships which are close to flight ready or are flight ready
2. Demand?
3. Reconsideration in Size?
4. Reconsideration in Tech?
5. CIG opens a new studio and needs moa money

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
They usually increase prices when a ship becomes flyable or has a feature implemented. Or when the ship becomes much larger than they originally concepted. Also perceived scarcity? There's some serious FOMO that goes on with ships.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
There are 3 reasons I can think of:

1. When it is flight ready - this increase is due to the idea that concept sales are a good deal, because when they are flight ready it will cost more. CIG needs to sell concept sales to keep their revenue up.
2. Under valuated ships - a ships value is typically tied to a number of factors like it's size, if it's alien, if it's popular with the public. Sometimes CIG don't factor all of this correctly so they under price it. Example is the Starfarer, at the concept time it cost about the same as a super hornet, but it was huge compared to the super, like 10 times bigger lol. Or the Carrack, CIG didn't know it would be so popular when they first concept released it, later price sky rocketed.
3. Inflation - ships came out since 2012. That's 9 years almost. Inflation typically doubles every 2 decades, so CIG have to keep up with inflation as well.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
its not dumb, we don't know.

1. Ships which are close to flight ready or are flight ready
2. Demand?
3. Reconsideration in Size?
4. Reconsideration in Tech?
5. CIG opens a new studio and needs moa money
You pretty much hit it on the nail. The only thing you missed is Ships in the same class category and any rework that needs to be performed.

Reventlov

Commander
Oct 2, 2020
RSI Handle
Reventlov
Thanks for the responses. What a freaky weird business model: crowdfunding as a business in it's own right. It'll be interesting to see what it transitions into after launch. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep selling concept ships until the game is nearly EOL.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
When the game is out, there will most probably won't be ships for sale anymore besides starter pack.

I foresee on the other hands lots of items for sale, like skins, and all those trinkets that do not give you a leg up in game.

edit : typo keg->leg

Last edited:

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
When the game is out, there will most probably won't be ships for sale anymore besides starter pack.

I foresee on the other hands lots of items for sale, like skins, and all those trinkets that do not give you a keg up in game.
hmmm, I think this is wishful thinking. I can almost guarantee they will continue to sell ships. They will never give up their free 15M during Invictus or IAE 😛
It's a business, they have been successful for so long why would they suddenly cut their own throats? Also, I believe it will still be under heavy development after release, and skins will not cut it for revenue.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
All of the above... Plus throw in a sprinkle of greed.
No one said they are angels and they have a business to run. $100 increase on the BMM is a hell of a jump, i hope it can deliver the goods

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
hmmm, I think this is wishful thinking. I can almost guarantee they will continue to sell ships. They will never give up their free 15M during Invictus or IAE 😛
It's a business, they have been successful for so long why would they suddenly cut their own throats? Also, I believe it will still be under heavy development after release, and skins will not cut it for revenue.
yeah

at least they will try different business models. The original plan was to sell purely cosmetic items and ingame cash (limited amounts/month) but i'm not sure if that will turn out.

I would be fine if they turned into a subscription based model IF your pledge is counted towards it. (lets say $15 / month with a pledge of $1000 = ~6 years of subscription)

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
@Scape Of course they can choose to do so and take back their word about not selling ships after release.

I can imagine in the months after the game launch, new comers whining if they can not buy ships anymore, compared to those who supported the game, with all their shiny ships in hangar...

Tough choice for CIG ?

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
I think that if they somehow stop selling ships, they would have to put all the backers on a separate server. How would you like it if you started a brand new released game of WoW and there are level 50s walking around 😝

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Yes @Esctasy , actually that is funny about the funding model with ships.

Most people say they don't want Star Citizen to be Pay to Win after release.

But whatever you call it now : helping development, funding the game (...), it is also pay to win actually. Or pay to save you time to get more fun at release in my case. I hate grinding, can not afford it anymore time wise 😉

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I think that if they somehow stop selling ships, they would have to put all the backers on a separate server. How would you like it if you started a brand new released game of WoW and there are level 50s walking around 😝
how much will the Lvl 50s like if a gang of cheap ingame earned gladius kill their lvl 50 ship?

Also we need crew to man our turrets, engineer stations, ground combat troops etc.

Reactions: Scape and Reventlov

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
how much will the Lvl 50s like if a gang of cheap ingame earned gladius kill their lvl 50 ship?

Also we need crew to man our turrets, engineer stations, ground combat troops etc.
haha! I don't disagree with you, was just trying to make a point that generally people want to be equal at the start of a new game release.

Reactions: Scape

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Yes @Esctasy , actually that is funny about the funding model with ships.

Most people say they don't want Star Citizen to be Pay to Win after release.

But whatever you call it now : helping development, funding the game (...), it is also pay to win actually. Or pay to save you time to get more fun at release in my case. I hate grinding, can not afford it anymore time wise 😉
Yup it's a tough one. If we don't back, there is no game. If we back, then we definitely have an advantage over those that don't back.

Reactions: Reventlov and Scape

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
From what I have experienced:

When the ship is put out for concept, that's the best price it will ever be, but the risk is highest - the concept can change from day to night during the process of making the dream a reality.

As ships get more function, their price goes up to reflect this, so when it becomes flyable it jumps a fair bit. The fact the BMM has gone up suggests they are getting closer to having it flyable, or at least have locked down what they expect it to be and that the old pledge value was not comparable to how mighty it is going to turn out eventually.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
haha! I don't disagree with you, was just trying to make a point that generally people want to be equal at the start of a new game release.
Yeah sure.

I'm looking at it from the eve online standpoint. Sure you can't start with a Titan. Even after one year it (was?) nearly impossible to fly a Titan. But you could easily hop into an interceptor and make a battle turn around.

Reactions: Scape and Esctasy

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
All of the above... Plus throw in a sprinkle of greed.
No one said they are angels and they have a business to run. $100 increase on the BMM is a hell of a jump, i hope it can deliver the goods
Well, considering all of the money is currently going directly to development and related expenses, "ambition" would be a more apt word here.
The greed bit comes after they start taking profits and paying the investors.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
I was talking about this the other day. Unlike most MMO's, when the dynamic economy comes online its going to be helped by the high backers hauling with Hull-E's and Reclaimers and the mining orgs that 'dynamically' increase or decrease resources at refineries and outposts.

Death of a Spaceman would hit alot harder if not for people who own endeavours and Apollos from the start to respawn on and get medical treatment. There's alot of these little gameloops that in a strange way rely on the games current structure.

I suppose its the 'Sim' nature of the game that pushes the narrative that some people have more and some less. Its not that your 'winning' as such. There is just that natural monitary hierarchy you find in most real world societies.

I think you will have people starting in so many different levels of ship that it won't be that bad. Me for example, I have a MSR and an Aurora on my account. That's my level I'm starting at, I will grind from there. Some will start above me, others below. Plus it depends on where you want to get to. I have for example no desire to ever own a 890J...doesnt do it for me. That is the End Goal for many players.

It will also increase the value of new players joining Orgs and puts an expectation for long time players to help out beginners... Which tbf most backers are happy to do.

Forgot your password?