What Fit-Out should look like with subcomponents

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
While we're waiting on whenever the reveal comes to what subcomponents will look like, lets discuss all the options for this part of play that exist. MW5 has long been the king of the fit out game. Watch this uber-player struggle with all the options. Note he's playing the MechTech mod, and all the various mods offer significant numbers of new choices to the player--this is what makes them mods. I don't think there is even a single list of all the possible MW5 components--that's how many there are to choose from--somewhere in the thousands-- and you face this choice fresh on every planet when you step into the market. It's always a delightful learning experience.

This guy isn't even at market. This is his running stock. So imagine for example if when you go to outfit your computer, you have 100 choices for x number of slots depending upon how large and how many computers you have. I have to hope this is where CIG is headed. So far, all they've said is they plan blades, and plan subcomponents that are essentially perishable, that add tweeks to their component systems.

So for example, suppose you had the choice between using blades for your turrets, or using an NPC or PC, and adding an aiming buff to that turret in the computer slot. Suppose you had many choices of the kind of aiming aid you had--some help target engines others target wings, or weapons, or. . . . Suppose you had the choice between aiming aids, extra damage, less heat, faster rate of fire, etc. on any given mount. Suppose with engine choices you could alter all the flight dynamics of any particular ship (the original intention of the game design). Suppose you could reconfigure your sensors on the fly, t sacrifice IM detection in favor of an IR buff or vise versa.

The more ways you can mod your ship, the more personal it will be and CIG knows this. We have to hope for a lot of choices in the future.

View: https://youtu.be/zt8vv6GHKtk?t=200

Last edited:

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Might be nice to tune your ships to your liking.
Might lead to a sky full of Mercury Starrunners with fully auto aim assisted turrets at 200% firerate in overload mode because META and all that jazz.
It is something to carefully balance and well, with CGI's balancing...
You do remember the old shield component system? I liked that because everything worked a little bit different from the competition.
Then one day...BAM!.. all shield type A/B/C/D are the same. Just different prices.
Because overall new shield system and those manufacturer tweaks had to sit it out for a patch. Or two. Or three...
So what ar ethe chances of a subcomponent system hitting the shelves before they got their component system hammered out?
Well... then again... it's CGI...
So maybe we'll get the component mini-game in my lifetime yet.
Thanks for sharing that Baradul Vid. I wolved down his videos when I was actively playing MWO.
Happy to see he's still up and about. 👍

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I actually left Baradul a note that he should give up MW5 (I think he's doing it daily for 3-4 years now) and come over to SC and TEST to make vids. He's not only a smart and eloquent gamer, but also a good vid creator. We need that here. So far as I'm aware, Montoya is working on his own and does not really present as a representative of TEST itself. If we had a small team putting out vids branded as TEST, you can believe our numbers would be three times what they are. Imagine for example if at every group event TEST runs, there were several people recording vid from their perspective and one person afterward turned it into an edited experience of the event. That would raise the bar across the industry, generate huge hits on YouTube and result in large growth, IMHO. Just you need the right video editor and/or team. Vid editing takes serious time and effort to produce something worthy of an audience, and for every half hour of vid you could expect at least ten hours of editing work. Almost no one does that, which is why so few decent group vids get made. Rather, what you see is players passing off personal opinion based upon their experience, as entertainment. The only group vids of actual play I like consistently are from Citizen Kate (and Will), and that's because someone is sitting down to edit hours of vid together into segments small enough that players will watch them. Almost all group vids online are unedited crap, not worth the audience's time. Note this is nothing like the vids by private individuals like BoredGamer, Morphologis, and Montoya. Those are edited and have a sense of artistic design, purpose and focus. Random vids of events presented without edit do not. Almost without exception, group vids suck when in fact they could so easily be the most popular online.

If Baradul were to come here, he could quintuple our membership and add a third to his own. (IIRC, he has 80,000 subs, probably very few of which are TEST.) It matters. I understand there is at least one org that almost rivals ours in size. We should not let that stand.

If anyone takes an interest in this (and yeah, it is possible to generate real money making such vids), note that your best chance for success is to have a female narrator. I don't think I need to explain why. If you wanted success here, getting someone like eralia to play events and narrate the edited vid would be breakthrough. She's a hottie and fun, and a guarantee to real success for such a project.

As per subcomponent buffs, in MW5 they're usually between 5-10% and CIG has said subcomponent buffs will be small and the sub-components themselves perishable. I think that needs to be so pirates don't play murder hobo on everyone who crosses their path. They need to be things that die very easily, so pirates can't plunder them, and that offer very small buffs but taken together offer substantial differences in play. 5% buffs on turret accuracy is not enough to displace players from turrets, but its enough to get the best turret gunners want to play aboard your ship. The best buffs are going to translate into the best opportunities, etc.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Perhaps 3.18 will be the time to crank up the Ministry Of Truth and the capacity for test User Generated Content?

I made four back in like patch 3.5.1 and while it was fun the patches keep coming and with that shifting foundation working on something which was not then valid or changed in the next patch wasn't productive, and was indeed minus-fun when the next patch came out of nowhere and I had to scrap my last vid as everything had changed.

I'd need to get my machine working properly again though, the stock video capture software appears to no longer be working likely due to the card being no longer supported. It be old now.

Forgot your password?