What is bottlenecking my pc the most

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
I have started playing battle royale in star citizen and the FPS i get in there, or lack of, make it kinda unplayable.
So I was wondering what the best upgrade would be for my pc.
The specs:
2600k is @4.2 ghz btw

pc.png

Cheers!

Serious Table

Admiral
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Serious_Table
With an i7 clocked at 4.2GHz, 8 GB of RAM, and an R9 290 (I'm guessing?), you should be more than capable of playing really very well. Have you turned the graphics down to Low? The game still looks great, and will be much more forgiving on your system.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
There's your problem right there!
[/IMG]

But seriously, are you playing in 1080 on medium or lower? My system is a bit better than yours and I play 4k on medium with around 30fps. Dips down to 15ish when there's a ton on the screen in PU. But Arena Commander isn't bad at all.

None of your system should be getting you bad fps. But if I had to pick a weak point of your system it'd probably be your Ram, maybe? I've got 16g and I know a few games felt a lot better after jumping from 8 to 16. That'd also be the cheapest solution if you wanted to upgrade. I'd start cheap first.

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
Also it might be just your software or something. I know a friend who got pretty much the same set up like I do but on his machine the game has around 10 fps less than I get on mine. It's sometimes weird like that

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I concur on the ram being a little low. A system like that is really begging for 16 gigs of ram (and 8 gigs is only ~40-60 bucks), but that shouldn't be the main culprit unless you like to game while having memory intensive programs running (Photoshop, After Effects, etc).

What are your benchmark scores? What FPS are you actually getting? "Low" for you could be 40 (which some elitist think is "unplayable"), but "low" for me is 20-25. It shouldn't be a CPU utilization issue unless you've got something really screwing with resource allocation, but you'd have to really dig into process monitoring while running the game to get accurate metrics on that. Have you updated all of your drivers? That's often a big reason for loss of performance. Do you have other games of similar graphics intensity (gta V, Witcher 3, etc) that also suffer from low/reduced FPS?

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
My first guess would be to make sure you're using the Radeon GPU when the game is running.

I know the Nvidia software doesn't identify SC as a game so it uses the shitty onboard GPU by default; you must specifically configure it. Not sure about AMD but it's worth checking.

Reactions: Reptar Khan

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Cheers guys, not at home this weekend but I'll run some benchmarks soon.

It's an r9 290 and unplayable is about sub 20 fps for me :)

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Your ram followed by your gpu. You use a ssd which alleviates a major benchmarks and the 2600k is a decent cpu. The 29x is still good but I notice the SC is more gpu intensive than cpu. My wifes 4970k performs almost as well as my 5960x but there was a noticable change between her temporary 780 and her usual 980.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
You could stand to double your ram (not a huge deal) but try running on medium, seems low actually makes it worse. I assume SC is on one of the ssds? but the only real low point is your GPU but its also not that bad either. I personally use a gtx 960 seems to work extremely well on medium and pretty decently oh max. Is your GPU driver all up to date?

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
Is SC loaded onto your solid state HD? (Sorry but had to ask)

Maybe pull out all but your top graphics card? (or disable/something to insure the integrated one doesn't run SC, dual/multi cards default to the worst and then split work load from there)

My 2 cents anyways, best of luck! (running decent frames with R7 370 4GB temp card with no integrated graphics card)

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Star citizen loves ram. 16gb will make a diffidence. Should you choose to wait, you could speed your ram up now. Give me the model number of the ram and I can give you an ideal overclock.

Ensure the GPU is in 3D mode. Install afterburner and watch the chart.

Are you running the 16.x GPU drivers?

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Something else to think about, is your overclock. If you overclock too high then you will get CPU slow down that is really painful. It was happening to me recently when I tried to go from 4.5 to 4.7 GHz. When playing at 4.7 it was so painful that I couldn't stand it. Reduced my overclock back down to 4.5 and everything is running super smooth again.

I have a 4th gen i7 X which is not the same as a 2nd gen i7 K. So your mileage may vary.

PS- I thought the K didn't really support overclocking? Or is it just that you can do it but they suggest that you don't for some reason? I don't know a lot about overclocking chips so I just throw this out there in case there is something to it.

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
PS- I thought the K didn't really support overclocking? Or is it just that you can do it but they suggest that you don't for some reason? I don't know a lot about overclocking chips so I just throw this out there in case there is something to it.
Actually the k should be the overclocking chip. It is the one that you can overclock freely.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Actually the k should be the overclocking chip. It is the one that you can overclock freely.
You are correct. Apparently both K and X are overclockable.

According to Intel, the K does have an on-board GPU. So definitely check your GPU preferences and make sure that Star Citizen is using your Radeon and not the crappy on-board Intel GPU.

Also Intel says the max overclock on that chip is 3.8 GHz so I would recommend, if the GPU settings don't fix the problem, that you reduce the overclock on the CPU to 3.8 and see if that helps.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

Reactions: Reptar Khan

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
Also Intel says the max overclock on that chip is 3.8 GHz so I would recommend, if the GPU settings don't fix the problem, that you reduce the overclock on the CPU to 3.8 and see if that helps.
Actually that is only the boost. It's the factory overclocking when the 3.5 aren't enough. I don't think they have a max oc on their website. Where your CPU runs stable depends on the chip itself. Some can be oc'd higher than other even though they are the same build. But I know stuff just in theory so....

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
that system seems pretty fluid to me. double check all your drivers and i would also double check your OC for stability. did you run a 24hr stress after you overclocked? OC's can degrade over time btw.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Thanks all, be back home in a few hours to reply and try some stuff out :)

Jazz0

Rear Admiral
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
El3nd
I'd shut off or disconnect the second monitor. I learned a long time ago, if you want a stable gaming system, 1 monitor, plus another running a Chrome cast or smaller PC is definitly the way to go, VS dual monitor.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Hey guys.

What benchmark should I run? Is it still 3DMarks?

-Star citizen is installed on SSD

-I did have an altered user.cfg to stop Star Citizen 1.3 from crashing and forgot all about it. I removed that and it seems to be better.

-RAM is :
G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
(F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, RipjawsX, Lite retail)

I think ill order another set since they are pretty cheap anyway, unless there is a better alternative?
@RussianJ An ideal overclock would be appreciated. Also wat do you mean with afterburner 3D mode?
Was running 15.12 drivers and am now downloading hotfix 16.1.1

I have not stresstested the CPU overclock, just gamed a lot with it. I used to get some hardlocks but that was the same before the overclock and seems to have completely stopped after updating bios drivers.

I got this week off so I might just do a complete new windows 10 install (Im running windows 7 upgrade atm), I reckon that will also help.
Illl try the single monitor aswel

Thanks for all the help!

Forgot your password?