What is bottlenecking my pc the most

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
What benchmark should I run? Is it still 3DMarks?
I haven't used them in quite some time so there might be something better now, but I use both 3DMark and PCMark. 3DMark is better for GPU testing and PCMark for pretty much everything else. They'll both provide you with some good data and they're free.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I haven't used them in quite some time so there might be something better now, but I use both 3DMark and PCMark. 3DMark is better for GPU testing and PCMark for pretty much everything else. They'll both provide you with some good data and they're free.
Yeah I use 3d mark because it targets the results we as gamers are looking at :) and its read out it straight forward on top of easy to run without much work (or custom tests)

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
No didnt have the paid version :) Ive ordered 8GB more ram and apparantly its smart to wait for the next gen graphic cards now so Ill save up in the mean time.

Thanks all!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I think I have a problem with my computer. It runs great and firestrike gave it a fantastic score.

However, one of my usb ports doesn't work, the computer will sometimes only reset when I shut down and I have to do a hard shutdown with button. And I'll get a weird startup cycle where it goes to the screen of Windows starting up, but it just keeps running that startup circle around instead of going to login screen.

I'm wondering if it's my mobo. I have a gtx 980ti, 16gb ram (4x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600), a 250ssd main drive, 4tb hdd, i7 4770k (4.3ghz oc), and an Asus Z87-PLUS DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard. And a 750 watt 80+ bronze certified psu if that matters.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I think I have a problem with my computer. It runs great and firestrike gave it a fantastic score.

However, one of my usb ports doesn't work, the computer will sometimes only reset when I shut down and I have to do a hard shutdown with button. And I'll get a weird startup cycle where it goes to the screen of Windows starting up, but it just keeps running that startup circle around instead of going to login screen.
A single USB port not working is definitely a MoBo issue, but by "mobo issue" it could be nothing more than that single port died. It's not necessarily indicative of a larger problem (for example, my mobo only has usb 3.0 ports, but no matter what I do it will only recognize them as 2.0). If you're really hurting by losing that port, just get a powered hub (they're super cheap).

The booting issue is almost definitely not related to the USB port. As far as the booting/shutdown issues, it really sounds like an OS problem. If it won't initialize the restart/shutdown procedure from the desktop, and it has trouble cleanly booting to the desktop, but is able to get past POST, that's where I would start looking.

If possible, try either repairing the OS from the restore utility, or reinstalling altogether. If you really don't want to lose your data, you could install Windows to a clean drive (USB or w/e) and see if you have the same issues.

Reactions: Grimbli

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
A single USB port not working is definitely a MoBo issue, but by "mobo issue" it could be nothing more than that single port died. It's not necessarily indicative of a larger problem (for example, my mobo only has usb 3.0 ports, but no matter what I do it will only recognize them as 2.0). If you're really hurting by losing that port, just get a powered hub (they're super cheap).

The booting issue is almost definitely not related to the USB port. As far as the booting/shutdown issues, it really sounds like an OS problem. If it won't initialize the restart/shutdown procedure from the desktop, and it has trouble cleanly booting to the desktop, but is able to get past POST, that's where I would start looking.

If possible, try either repairing the OS from the restore utility, or reinstalling altogether. If you really don't want to lose your data, you could install Windows to a clean drive (USB or w/e) and see if you have the same issues.
I was thinking of saving data and doing a wipe. Might clean up a lot of issues.

Dethsause

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Dethsause
Eliyahu, I am so glad you posted these configs! I used the one for ultra settings and I'm SOOoooo much better performance. Thank you!

Reactions: Eliyahu

Eliyahu

Space Marshal
Feb 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Eliyahu2
Glad that helped! I had similar problems when I tried running it initially. Thank the people who wrote them!

Forgot your password?