What makes a good SSD?

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Depends... do you have a m2 connector? if so check out the samsung evo series. It was mentioned to me... now that I have my new PC built I am happy I purchased it. Ill, update my other thread so people can check it out.

Reactions: Talonsbane

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
DDR4 is the memory. The m2 connector is a new form factor (best way I can describe it) for many of the more recent mother boards that can substitute SSD with higher performance... it also costs a little more

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
@Shadow Reaper you can find low cost PC build guides on YouTube that should hopefully fit within your budget. This being said, if you are wanting to play SC with it, you should compare the parts listed with those of the recommended requirements from CIG. Their minimum requirements will work, but you'll enjoy the experience far less than is recommended.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Does this mean one should only look for CPUs that support DDR4?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ddr4-ram-specs-release-date-future-computer-memory/

Who is using DDR4? Most of what I see for cheap is DDR2. Seems that must be why it is cheap.
Well, yes. Unless you have to upgrade your toaster, DDR2 has very little use. It's slow, and has inadequate capacity. Not to mention that to use DDR2, you'd need equally ancient CPU and MoBo.

Anyhow, DDR4 is good and all currently, but unless you're in a rush, DDR5 is coming out in late 2019 or 2020.
PCIe ver 5.0 has similar timetable.
So I'm pushing off my rig upgrade till 2020 or so, going for the latest and greatest with a big splurge.

As for storage, I generally have HDD for storing videos / smaller games / large quantities of stuff.
SSD with some 500Mbps read/write for larger games (games with install size at least twice the size of my ram) that have well designed asset loading systems.
And for large games which have suboptimal asset loading, the fastest storage I can get my hands on.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I do. Why? Because it was on the MOBO of my 2nd prebuild PC since 1996.
Your 2nd prebuild PC has had DDR4 on the MOBO since 1996? O_O

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Your 2nd prebuild PC has had DDR4 on the MOBO since 1996? O_O
LOL, you turn my words around, but yes, my second prebuild PC has DDR4
It seems that @marcsand2 is really good at building PCs that last a long time. Congrats to him for that.
My last self build PC before the 2nd prebuild lasted for 8 years. Then came SC

Reactions: FZD and Talonsbane

WaterShield

Space Marshal
Oct 16, 2015
RSI Handle
WaterShield
In general get an SSD for anything you want to load fast (Operating system, Games, etc..) and a standard hard drive for other storage. As far as recommendations go you can't go wrong with a Samsung SSD. That said the Intel Optane SSD's are crazy fast o.o (I'm in love with mine... only slightly influenced by the Sabre Raven that came with it XD) Also if you are using a system that takes DDR2 you'll most likely be better off updating the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM (most likely to DDR4 RAM) because the older parts would either not work with a new SSD or bottleneck its performance significantly.

To more directly answer your question I look at load speeds over write speeds (because I'm mostly loading games not compiling software) as well as a reputation for durability / longevity. You'll get pretty good performance from just about any SSD on the market but I've noticed bottom of the barrel priced ones burning out quicker than you would expect at times. In general though expect an SSD to outlast a hard drive by a significant margin. So absolutely get one when you can.

Sorry this turned into a bit of a ramble. Let me know if this was helpful, or if you have further questions I may be able to help with.

Vindictive69

Commander
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Vindictive69
Any SSD is pretty much better than any hard drive. SSD's also multitask way better than a hard drive, youll notice when you go to load several things at once and windows still responds good.
SSD's can be bought in a couple form factors... the M2 form factor is best if you have a M/B that supports it, otherwise get one that plugs in just like a regular hard drive.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
@Shadow Reaper I have SC loaded on an SSD running SATA 3 across USB 3.1 to my laptop. the laptop is currently using 16GB ddr3 RAM and a 2.4 GHz i7. The limits i'm hitting are due to RAM and Processor, still my load time for SC is within 6 second. I only see slideshows when going to the Daymar death zone.

Forgot your password?