What the BUK. A video by Noobifier.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Cig don't really know what their doing with modular ships like the vanguard and retaliator. They didn't in 2015 and they still don't now!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It seems to me that CIG is in constant battle with itself about modularity.

They need ships to be as modular as possible so that players get a fun open upgrade path, which is a huge gameplay element in games like this (think Privateer and such).

They also need to sell content to keep the development alive, and need to sell content later to keep the servers alive, and if you can buy the bog standard cheap version on the website and upgrade in-game for free, the "exclusive" more expensive variant won't sell.

From a business perspective, it's not an easy choice. I guess they think they will be better off with a good game mechanic (lots of modular upgrades) rather then being greedy in the long run. Those who paid extra for their different variant are just screwed, and will have to be content with that they don't have too grind out the credits in-game for the upgrades.

I don't own a vanguard, but liked to fly em in ptu. Will surely get one when the game goes live. The changes look pretty good!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I seem to recall for a while the intention was if you had a version of the Vanguard like the Warden, you can use your BUK to put the sentinel components in thus getting it's eWar capabilities, but you'd keep the Wardens upgraded armour, engines etc as it would be a Warden with eWar, not a sentinel.

Vice-vercia, if you had a sentinel and wanted the improved serviveability features of the Warden such as the upgraded life-pods, you can put the Warden BUK in the sentinel but you'd keep the sentinel AR cockpit etc...

Dunno if they intend to keep it that way, but that's last I heared.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I wanted a Vanguard, at one point it was my favorite ship. But the indecision and vagueness about what I'd be buying, and the wordplay from CIG has changed my mind. So now we'll see what comes out of the wash. I really think CIG messed up here, and this isn't the only place. They need to make decisions, and then publish the wish list. Not the other way around.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
there are knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns

I don't think it's realistic to expect CIG's devs to anticipate all our questions or realise where they are being unclear

they're just winging it

that's why it's called Alpha, duh!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Then, I have a question: What is the definition you use for alpha software? And how does that apply to software undergoing a design review?
Alpha is a public release of software that's not ready for prime time, to gather information on what does and doesn't work

everything is subject to change, design reviews will tell you where the changes are needed

when you have finalised your architecture and feature set, you go to Beta to find and fix the remaining issues.

after your 1.0 release you only make changes reluctantly, and very carefully

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I don't see why Noob is seemingly being a devil's advocate over the last couple/few years?
Rather a negative flavored outlook/presentation.

It's clear to me CIG is making Vanguards modular, It's also clear to me CIG has and still has marketing material and marketing communication issues.
The BUKs are great, and I see no reason why they won't honor the original hot-swappable agreement for them.
I believe this most current video confirms that they'll honor that agreement.

I own every Vanguard and have a few valentine BUKs in buybacks, which after this video, I'll probably look around the grey market for a couple of LTI BUKs over the next year or so.
I think having 4 vanguards which you can swap them all out to any variant is a greatly improved utility.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Alpha is a public release of software that's not ready for prime time, to gather information on what does and doesn't work
everything is subject to change, design reviews will tell you where the changes are needed
when you have finalised your architecture and feature set, you go to Beta to find and fix the remaining issues.
after your 1.0 release you only make changes reluctantly, and very carefully
Pretty good definition. You can drop "public", since it's redundant. Basically it's just an alpha test being done by the user community. That's a standard model for alpha testing. When software is designated alpha, it means that some or all is still being developed. When software moves to Beta, that means we have a potential release candidate, and we need to find any lingering bugs and issues that might not be handled properly, or that aren't handled at all. In both of these stages, bug and issue reporting are the major goal. A secondary purpose of Alpha software is to provide feedback against functional requirements, and in Beta testing, against User Requirements.

So, I'm not entirely sure why we'd want to send the message for people not to mention a problem or issue with the software. That's just counterproductive. The fact that "it's alpha" isn't a reason not to say something, it is in fact exactly what CIG as asking for.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
With all due respect for those of you that are old enough to remember arcade games, like I am, I feel that this is a perfect forum thread to drop this CIG gem into the mix for the love of the Vanguards.

Hyper Vanguard Force
Oh lord, I spent so much on space invaders.... Good thing this isn't for quarters!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I could be wrong, but it now looks that all of the Vanguards might be modular with each other including the Hoplite. . .
That has been the rumor for some time, and the rumor proved to be true in part since they did rework the frame and gave the larger door to all the variants. If you'll recall, the Hoplite originally had a different frame with a wider ramp to servcie the squad function, and it was not swappable with the other frames. Now they appear will all swap on the same frame.
It seems to me that CIG is in constant battle with itself about modularity.

They need ships to be as modular as possible so that players get a fun open upgrade path. . .
The Vanguard has always been one of the exceptions, that is was supposed to be modular with the BUK. It's also unusual in that they don't let you swap out the four fixed lasers in the nose. No one has ever liked that, but it seemed a fair trade if you can repurpose your Hoplite to a Sentinel, etc.
I seem to recall for a while the intention was if you had a version of the Vanguard like the Warden, you can use your BUK to put the sentinel components in thus getting it's eWar capabilities, but you'd keep the Wardens upgraded armour, engines etc as it would be a Warden with eWar, not a sentinel.
I don't recall ever hearing the Warden had different armor and engines. Do you remember where that comes from?
I wanted a Vanguard, at one point it was my favorite ship. But the indecision and vagueness about what I'd be buying, and the wordplay from CIG has changed my mind. So now we'll see what comes out of the wash. I really think CIG messed up here, and this isn't the only place. They need to make decisions, and then publish the wish list. Not the other way around.
I confess I wrestle with my interest in the Vanguards often becasue they don't seem able to make a commitment and stick to it. I do think though, that after having sold BUKs they can't really lose the modular design. I think they'd get great grief were they to decide against it, and it seems instead, they tweeked all the frames so the Hoplite is swappable with the others. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but at least it is next patch. So should be exciting for all of us who love that frame.

Forgot your password?