Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
A hull E full of explosives ramming a Kingship,

Or thousands of Auroras with explosives all ramming it like mini torpedoes.

Legitimate question, definitely asking for a friend.

Another question totally for a friend; What ship do you think would be best for suicide runs like this?View attachment 23197

I think we will need to try both multiple times to get lots of data points.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Speaking of legitimate questions, has anyone thought of hull-stripping and salvaging an intact or wrecked ship you or a willing friend owns (with LTI) for profit in-game, and claiming the ship back? I guess the game may need some crimestat or cost disincentive to prevent doing this from being worth your while, but I've not seen it discussed.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Auroras are better because:
- More targets, the kingship can't shoot us all down.
- A thousand Auroras? This is a mere 5% of our power.
- More explosions is better

Hull E is better because:
- Either we blow out half the system, centered around the kingship. Or we blow out half the system centered around a point 3km away from the kingship. With explosion that size, we don't need to make it to target.
- This leaves 999 more of us to look at the pretty explosion. On the other edge of the system.
- Bigger explosion is better.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Had you considered a Hull E loaded with Hangars containing Auroras?

The Hull draws the fire from the Kingship, allowing the Auroras to get much closer before launching and being "detected" (and so able to be engaged), and allows the momentum of the Hull (or it's wreckage) to increase the amount of damage (by ramming the kingship) over what the Aurora's could do on their own?

As to which ship - The Aurora CL, as it has more cargo space to fit the explosives into.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Speaking of legitimate questions, has anyone thought of hull-stripping and salvaging an intact or wrecked ship you or a willing friend owns (with LTI) for profit in-game, and claiming the ship back? I guess the game may need some crimestat or cost disincentive to prevent doing this from being worth your while, but I've not seen it discussed.
insurance (LTI or time-limited) covers the hull but not all components needed to make your friend's wrecked ship flyable

it will still cost you to get up and running again, just less than it would cost to replace an uninsured ship

Chris Roberts saw you scammer-wannabes coming from day one

edit: and a bunch of Auroras will always be better than a lone Hull E because mass mayhem and destruction should be a social event

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
A hull E full of explosives ramming a Kingship,

Or thousands of Auroras with explosives all ramming it like mini torpedoes.

Legitimate question, definitely asking for a friend.

Another question totally for a friend; What ship do you think would be best for suicide runs like this?View attachment 23197
You need both.
The Auroras are ablative armor for the Hull-E.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
insurance (LTI or time-limited) covers the hull but not all components needed to make your friend's wrecked ship flyable

it will still cost you to get up and running again, just less than it would cost to replace an uninsured ship

Chris Roberts saw you scammer-wannabes coming from day one

edit: and a bunch of Auroras will always be better than a lone Hull E because mass mayhem and destruction should be a social event
If you hull strip the ship, you still have the components.

[Legatus] Moufisto

Commander
Jul 4, 2022
RSI Handle
Mousfistoo
Had you considered a Hull E loaded with Hangars containing Auroras?

The Hull draws the fire from the Kingship, allowing the Auroras to get much closer before launching and being "detected" (and so able to be engaged), and allows the momentum of the Hull (or it's wreckage) to increase the amount of damage (by ramming the kingship) over what the Aurora's could do on their own?

As to which ship - The Aurora CL, as it has more cargo space to fit the explosives into.
DUDE THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!
Ram the ship with the Hull E while Auroras missile themselves into the Kingship.
I love it!

or would the potential exploding power be higher with the Auroras still inside, so that the explosion from the Hull E / all the auroras / explosives in the Auroras be bigger?
HMMMMM

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
DUDE THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!
Ram the ship with the Hull E while Auroras missile themselves into the Kingship.
I love it!

or would the potential exploding power be higher with the Auroras still inside, so that the explosion from the Hull E / all the auroras / explosives in the Auroras be bigger?
HMMMMM
Ideally you'd have the Aurora's fly out and swarm the Kingship: If the intention was to leave them inside hangars attatched to the Hull, then you'd be better served by simply having explosives in place of them in the cargo\hangars, as you'd carry more explosives that way - Plus having the Aurora's fly out and swarm the Kingship would mean you'd still be doing damage\have a chance to kill it even if the Kingship somehow managed to evade the Hull\Hull's remains.

Of course, you could also have containers of explosives mixed among the hangars attatched to the Hull, and if the cargo (empty hangars and containers of explosives) was jettisoned correctly would give you a combination of the Hull\Hull remains, a swarm of Aurora's, and a number of unguided, inertia propelled "missiles"\"improvised mines" for the Kingship to deal with.

I'd probably suggest a head-on attack, as well, as this prevents the Kingship quantum jumping away (If it tries, there's a lot of "obstacles" it needs to go through), and allows for quicker closing speed and less ability to evade due to inertia of both major ships...

Forgot your password?