Whats the difference?

Dragonslaya54

Space Marshal
May 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Nilrune
I just noticed that the hornet and the buccaneer have about the same amount of firepower, just in different locations.
1. Both have fixed size 3's on the wings.
2. Both can have a size 4 in the middle.
3. Both can have size 1's, but the hornet has gimbaled size 1's on the nose.
The true noticeable difference is the speed and damage that each have. This leaves me wondering...should I keep my hornet or keep my buccaneer?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Hornet:
- 3x S3 or 2x S3 + 2x S1
- 1x S4 or 2x S2
- good shields
- good armor
- medium speed
- medium agility

Buccaneer:
- 2x S3 + 2x S1
- 1x S4 or 2xS2
- medium shields
- low armor
- high speed
- high agility

The difference is in protection and maneuverability / speed. It really depends on who you want to fight. I would keep both :beers:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I just noticed that the hornet and the buccaneer have about the same amount of firepower, just in different locations.
1. Both have fixed size 3's on the wings.
2. Both can have a size 4 in the middle.
3. Both can have size 1's, but the hornet has gimbaled size 1's on the nose.
The true noticeable difference is the speed and damage that each have. This leaves me wondering...should I keep my hornet or keep my buccaneer?
Hornet is a LOT tougher than the bucc, and it has more versatility as a dogfighter, where-as the bucc is more intended for interdiction. Sure the bucc is fast, but for some people its too fast for their taste. It all really depends on what you enjoy. Loadout is comparable between the two, but the Hornet has a bit more firepower and a MUCH bigger power plant.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
It's a good comparison between the two. Super Hornet wins (IMO), but the bucc is a good ship to have. If you are a run and gun person making strafing runs on a larger ship...the Bucc might be better with it's superior maneuverability (jinking out of the way of the turrets). It might also have a slightly longer range with a bigger fuel tank)

For endurance in a dogfight the Super Hornet wins over the Bucc as it will last longer, plus it can use an all energy loadout. The Bucc needs some ballistics to keep from overly straining the power plant.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
The Bucc is meant to punch up. I consider it an upgunned Gladius. We should also ensure we are not meaning Super Hornet when referring to Hornet. SHornet is very much a Tank, and while the SH and H share all the hardpoints, there is a decent enough difference to shield/armor.
The role of the ship plays into how it should be used. I don't think of the Bucc as Space Superiority Fighter, more as Interceptor/Strike.

to the OP, keep which ever you feel more comfortable flying. I have several fighters and each is for a different purpose. I'm not using a Ghost to do a Warlock's job which shouldn't be used when a Sentinel is better suited, which rolls back to a Bucc or Hurricane. In almost all cases, wingmen are necessary.

I know, random and rambling. time for some rum.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?