Who got dog tags?

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Was planing on making some custom ones for me and some friends, just need to get a new engraver!

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I do have access to a large etcher at work. If I can figure out how to get it working again I'll give it a swing. If It does work out I'll try to make a few to send out.
I call Dibs on the first one... or at least TEST Pilot #1337 .... or TEST Kadet 421 (TK-421).... or TEST Hamster Exploration 1138....

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
I may have one

I also co-own an engraving business IRL, however, partner who handles most things is being very slow on getting things together. I can do dog tags no problem, but we're still working on details/prototypes and such.

Reactions: mromutt

Crownan

Space Marshal
May 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Crownan
I may have one

I also co-own an engraving business IRL, however, partner who handles most things is being very slow on getting things together. I can do dog tags no problem, but we're still working on details/prototypes and such.
Um, so you are saying we can order the same type of dogtags from you at some point?

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
Um, so you are saying we can order the same type of dogtags from you at some point?
Theoretically yes, unless someone beats me to it. It's still in what I'd consider stage 2 of 6. I'll put more pressure on it and see if I can get it rolling faster.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I may have one

If you can bang up some prototypes for us to give feedback on, that'd be great.

Also, because TEST doesn't bother tracking member counts or member numbers (in order of joining), we'll need to figure out what to stick into the slot. Maybe the member's favorite star system and something else?

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
My suggestion is to use a different metal stock for the TEST dogtags. Maybe copper or bronze, and use the regular black silencers on them. I got the idea when I looked at my Citizen Card I got years ago, it's a Vice Admiral card so it's golden-ish in base material color, with etchings made into the face of it.

We could possibly do the same for our dogtags.

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
If you can bang up some prototypes for us to give feedback on, that'd be great.

Also, because TEST doesn't bother tracking member counts or member numbers (in order of joining), we'll need to figure out what to stick into the slot. Maybe the member's favorite star system and something else?
I'll make a thread when I get the initial prototypes done. As for what to do with the cit-number slot, I was thinking about putting what your planned role is, like "explorer" "Refueling tech" "[REDACTED]" And so on, could possibly do a deal for multiple tags.

As for the color, I'm going to try and do multiple available colors, if I can make them black and yellow somehow without eating my patience, that's what I want to do, but hopefully there will be a good color selection available.

Front will be test logo, haven't decided on which version yet because early prototype stage. As for the back, plan is:
<Name>
<TEST squad [rank at time of getting tag]>
<Unknown, possibly designation>
<Possible 4st line>

If I do them, I'll probably do an initial "First come" run of a decently high number, and then one after the PU comes out for when things are a lot more settled.
This is all speculation/forethought though.

Secret edit: And I will possibly spell some with Squardon and some with Squadron, randomly, because why not.

Reactions: mromutt

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I'll make a thread when I get the initial prototypes done. As for what to do with the cit-number slot, I was thinking about putting what your planned role is, like "explorer" "Refueling tech" "[REDACTED]" And so on, could possibly do a deal for multiple tags.
I approve of this. So it'll be a custom job for each dogtag, eh? :)

As for the color, I'm going to try and do multiple available colors, if I can make them black and yellow somehow without eating my patience, that's what I want to do, but hopefully there will be a good color selection available.

Front will be test logo, haven't decided on which version yet because early prototype stage. As for the back, plan is:
<Name>
<TEST squad [rank at time of getting tag]>
<Unknown, possibly designation>
<Possible 4st line>

If I do them, I'll probably do an initial "First come" run of a decently high number, and then one after the PU comes out for when things are a lot more settled.
This is all speculation/forethought though.

Secret edit: And I will possibly spell some with Squardon and some with Squadron, randomly, because why not.
I'd rather avoid the misspelling for now, unless specifically requested. :p

Three lines is fine, four risks crowding out the dogtag's space.

And for colors, personally I'd rather just keep the colors mundane so to speak, so it doesn't stand out and make people think it's "bling".

By the way, you can make use of this version of the Compact TEST logo (which I made some time ago) for the dogtags. Since "BEST Squardon" doesn't fit into the bottom half of this, you can customize it according to each customer's request if you want.

TEST Dogtag Logo Template

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
Saved the logo.
Most military tags I have personally seen run 5 lines, 4 should fit fine without crowding, but it'll be one of those things that we'll decide on during physical prototyping. Color wise, they're going to be dull metallic colors most likely, might have yellow available as well, but I don't plan on doing anything that is to bright. Current colors we're looking at is S/S Matte, Bright, and Black, Red and Gold aluminum, brass, and copper. I'm sure those should provide ample choices. Might also see if I can get a hold of some kind of a mild blue S/S.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I will be extremely interested to see your mockups. I'd love to have a pair of dogtagsm, one SC themed and the other TEST themed.

Forgot your password?