WTB Vanguard (maybe?)

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
Thanks for all your advise people. I've still yet to decide but with all the arguments y'all provided I can make a much better comparison of the crafts. I think it boils down to the following options;
  1. Check out what the new concept ship is and if I'm lucky it already suits all my needs.
  2. Upgrade my Hornet Ghost to a Sabre (which I can always upgrade to a Vanguard down the road when it is on sale again).
  3. Upgrade to Vanguard right away.
  4. Keep my Hornet Ghost and add a second ship more suitable for exploration and scavaging (like a Cutlass).
I want to spent no more then €100 - €150 for the ship or upgrade.

What looks best to you guys? And does anyone have a Vanguard, Cutlass and/or Sabre who is willing to let me try it out before I buy one myself?
You could always add the Sabre for a stealth combat ship if your really into the stealth option and pick up the Cutlass later though if your interested in LTI for your Sabre it will have to be a STANDALONE PURCHASE to get it. I have no idea if you have it on your ghost or if it will have a game package option for it. It may only be 5 year insurance based off of the Australian sale they did.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
You should also consider that with 3.0 the moons and ground gameplay are going to be in the game. If you don’t want to be reliant on other people to get around in a timely manner on them or have any interest in exploring them you will want a ground vehicle and a way to haul it around since there will be some areas you can’t fly over or spawn one. With TEST though you may still be able to get what you need as long as the people with it are on to lend it to you.

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
So thanks to all for the previous feedback. I eventually sold my Hornet and bought the SC + SQ42 + Mustang package. I won't upgrade it anymore so I have freedom in melting any other ship I buy without affecting my game package. And the Mustang is a pretty decent ship tbh, and looks great after the rework as well. Besides this, I went for a Sabre and Cutlass Black (both through a Hawk for LTI).

Was wondering one more thing though. I'm still considering the Vanguard, but I'm not sure yet. I want to test it extensively first. So with current sale, I came up with this plan. Can I melt both my Sabre and Cutlass, buy a Vanguard with the store credit, melt it again for the buyback token and repurchase my Sabre and Cutlass with the store credit? This gives me the opportunity to gather enough REC to rent the Vanguard, test it for a week (or longer) and when eventually 3.0 is released to the masses and I still want me a Vanguard, use the buyback token to get it outside of the sale?

Besides that, can I melt and repurchase the Mustang + game packages on the 1st of Dec to make good use of the discount and get a bit more store credit on my account?

Thanks in advance again for the help!

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
I'd say wait on the Vanguard. The concept is beautiful, but the way they fleshed it out makes it an expensive and utterly useless ship if you're not in an actual war zone, acting as the "vanguard" of an army. Let me explain.

As pros, it can travel longer distances, stay longer in space and maybe survive more firefights than a dogfighter.

BUT...in terms of extended functionality, there is none: no cargo space, no way to carry a live bounty hunting target, it's kinda' large, but you can't fit a bike inside, no special scouting/scanning equipment with extended use, no heavy data storage for eventual odd jobs in information trading. On top of that, for using its full fire power (and you'll want that on account of the ships lower agility and speed) you need a second operator.

So...it's basically a blunt weapon. It's a lazier dogfighter with a shiter and a bed.

However, it's being reworked. I'd say wait for the rework to be fleshed out before you decide.

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
Thanks for the insight Cherokeedog, though it was not really an answer to my questions.

But I'll definitely take it all into consideration.

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
though it was not really an answer to my questions
Damn! I must be drunk already... But I do appreciate your PR skills :)

The only answer I got for your latest questions is this: if you take advice from me on melting and buyback mechanics, you'll end up with an Aurora that's got an "out of order" sign hangin' by the door handle.

Now, I haven't played SC in a long while, but I do believe you can gather enough REC for renting the Vanguard even by using the Mustang. It's just more grindy. I think it's safer than playing up and down with your money, considering ship prices and purchase mechanics can change. Also, the Vanguard may be totally different after the rework.

centimane

Rear Admiral
Mar 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Centimane
So thanks to all for the previous feedback. I eventually sold my Hornet and bought the SC + SQ42 + Mustang package. I won't upgrade it anymore so I have freedom in melting any other ship I buy without affecting my game package. And the Mustang is a pretty decent ship tbh, and looks great after the rework as well. Besides this, I went for a Sabre and Cutlass Black (both through a Hawk for LTI).

Was wondering one more thing though. I'm still considering the Vanguard, but I'm not sure yet. I want to test it extensively first. So with current sale, I came up with this plan. Can I melt both my Sabre and Cutlass, buy a Vanguard with the store credit, melt it again for the buyback token and repurchase my Sabre and Cutlass with the store credit? This gives me the opportunity to gather enough REC to rent the Vanguard, test it for a week (or longer) and when eventually 3.0 is released to the masses and I still want me a Vanguard, use the buyback token to get it outside of the sale?

Besides that, can I melt and repurchase the Mustang + game packages on the 1st of Dec to make good use of the discount and get a bit more store credit on my account?

Thanks in advance again for the help!
The answer to all of your questions here is 'yes'.

The Sabre is currently available because of the Anniversary Sale, and will be through to the end of it, and the Cutlass is always available for sale, so you should be able to repurchase both afterwards. The only thing to bear in mind here is that you must wait 24 hours after you purchase your Vanguard (whether with cash or store credit) before you can melt that purchase. Afterwards you will be able to use the store credit from that to repurchase some Hawks to use as LTI tokens, and then to purchase CCUs from those back up to a Sabre and Cutlass. (However, if you purchased Warbond Hawks, then bear in mind that you can't use RSI credits for those, and the non-Warbond version that can be purchased with RSI credits are more expensive.)

One other thing:

Aside from the complaints about the current Vanguard's model vs. the original concept art (and these complaints are valid, IMO), I would argue that 9/10ths of the Warden's bad reputation in 2.6.3 is due to its terrible handling. This is because of what almost certainly amounts to a typo on the part of some Dev over at CIG with regards to some of the Vanguard's flight model settings. (Seriously, the flight model numbers responsible for that bad handling were so outrageously low compared to any other fighter in the game that it's difficult to believe it was anything other than a simple mistake that no one caught until after the patch had been pushed to Live.)

Anyway, my point is that they seem to have corrected this in the current PTU build for 3.0. The Warden is still not very maneuverable compared to fighters like the Gladius, the Sabre, or even the Hornet (it's about as maneuverable as the Cutlass, actually), but where in 2.6.3 it feels like you're constantly having to wrestle with the ship's nose to get it to point where you want, in 3.0 its handling is now very precise and easy to control. Where, in 2.6.3, it felt fat, heavy and slow, in 3.0 it feels big, powerful and dangerous.

Combat in 3.0 is still way too buggy to really test anything out, but my current impression of the Warden is that it will be making a pretty serious comeback as a top-tier dogfighter in this patch, especially as genuine multi-crew and turret gameplay become available.

I hope all that helps. :slight_smile:

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
The answer to all of your questions here is 'yes'.

The Sabre is currently available because of the Anniversary Sale, and will be through to the end of it, and the Cutlass is always available for sale, so you should be able to repurchase both afterwards. The only thing to bear in mind here is that you must wait 24 hours after you purchase your Vanguard (whether with cash or store credit) before you can melt that purchase. Afterwards you will be able to use the store credit from that to repurchase some Hawks to use as LTI tokens, and then to purchase CCUs from those back up to a Sabre and Cutlass. (However, if you purchased Warbond Hawks, then bear in mind that you can't use RSI credits for those, and the non-Warbond version that can be purchased with RSI credits are more expensive.)

One other thing:

Aside from the complaints about the current Vanguard's model vs. the original concept art (and these complaints are valid, IMO), I would argue that 9/10ths of the Warden's bad reputation in 2.6.3 is due to its terrible handling. This is because of what almost certainly amounts to a typo on the part of some Dev over at CIG with regards to some of the Vanguard's flight model settings. (Seriously, the flight model numbers responsible for that bad handling were so outrageously low compared to any other fighter in the game that it's difficult to believe it was anything other than a simple mistake that no one caught until after the patch had been pushed to Live.)

Anyway, my point is that they seem to have corrected this in the current PTU build for 3.0. The Warden is still not very maneuverable compared to fighters like the Gladius, the Sabre, or even the Hornet (it's about as maneuverable as the Cutlass, actually), but where in 2.6.3 it feels like you're constantly having to wrestle with the ship's nose to get it to point where you want, in 3.0 its handling is now very precise and easy to control. Where, in 2.6.3, it felt fat, heavy and slow, in 3.0 it feels big, powerful and dangerous.

Combat in 3.0 is still way too buggy to really test anything out, but my current impression of the Warden is that it will be making a pretty serious comeback as a top-tier dogfighter in this patch, especially as genuine multi-crew and turret gameplay become available.

I hope all that helps. :slight_smile:
Yes, this helps a million! Thanks!
I did not realize that warbond thingy where it is cheaper than the non-warbond version. Does this mean that the CCU to Sabre or Cutlass is also different in price? Or will the total expanses of that buyback be the same in the end?

centimane

Rear Admiral
Mar 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Centimane
Yes, this helps a million! Thanks!
I did not realize that warbond thingy where it is cheaper than the non-warbond version. Does this mean that the CCU to Sabre or Cutlass is also different in price? Or will the total expanses of that buyback be the same in the end?
The Hawk's CCU value is $90; that won't change whether you're upgrading from a Warbond version or not. But when you melt a Warbond ship it will only credit you what you actually spent, not the current value in the store.

So if you bought Warbond versions of the Hawk, then you spent $80 dollars (assuming no VAT) on each, but would have been credited $90 dollars when you CCU'd from one of them to the Sabre (for example), meaning you would have had to spend an additional $80 dollars for a total of $160. That $160 is what you will be given in RSI credits should you decide to melt that Sabre. If, at some later point, you decided to purchase a Hawk again - but this time using only store credits - it will cost you $90 dollars instead of $80 - and the CCU from it to a Sabre will still cost an additional $80 dollars, for a total of $170, not $160.

If you still have your Buyback token for this quarter, however, then you can use that to buy back one of the Warbond Hawks at its cheaper price and using only store credits. If you're willing to wait until next quarter, you can then buy back the second Warbond Hawk as well, again using only RSI credits. If you wanted to go this route, then what you would do is buy CCU's for both the Sabre and the Cutlass right now, and then use your current buyback token to buyback one of the Hawks from your Buy Back Pledges bin. You can then apply whichever of your two CCU's you prefer right now. Then, next quarter (i.e. the beginning of January, 2018), you can use your remaining store credits to buyback your second Warbond Hawk, and then apply your second CCU to it. If you used this method, then your final cost would be the same as what you originally spent.

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
The Hawk's CCU value is $90; that won't change whether you're upgrading from a Warbond version or not. But when you melt a Warbond ship it will only credit you what you actually spent, not the current value in the store.

So if you bought Warbond versions of the Hawk, then you spent $80 dollars (assuming no VAT) on each, but would have been credited $90 dollars when you CCU'd from one of them to the Sabre (for example), meaning you would have had to spend an additional $80 dollars for a total of $160. That $160 is what you will be given in RSI credits should you decide to melt that Sabre. If, at some later point, you decided to purchase a Hawk again - but this time using only store credits - it will cost you $90 dollars instead of $80 - and the CCU from it to a Sabre will still cost an additional $80 dollars, for a total of $170, not $160.

If you still have your Buyback token for this quarter, however, then you can use that to buy back one of the Warbond Hawks at its cheaper price and using only store credits. If you're willing to wait until next quarter, you can then buy back the second Warbond Hawk as well, again using only RSI credits. If you wanted to go this route, then what you would do is buy CCU's for both the Sabre and the Cutlass right now, and then use your current buyback token to buyback one of the Hawks from your Buy Back Pledges bin. You can then apply whichever of your two CCU's you prefer right now. Then, next quarter (i.e. the beginning of January, 2018), you can use your remaining store credits to buyback your second Warbond Hawk, and then apply your second CCU to it. If you used this method, then your final cost would be the same as what you originally spent.

Wow, 300% the answer I was looking for. Thanks m8!

But I think I'll then just stick to what I have now. Too much hassle and risk. Price changes could very well occur in the meantime. Because I want my Sabre for Arena Commander now, but the rework on the Cutlass will probably lead to an increased price sometime soon, I guess.

Buying the Vanguard will then be a nice goal to achieve when we can actually earn and start buying ships with in-game currency. Maybe they release even better options in the meantime or the Vanguard will get a big overhaul which makes it less interesting for me. I'll stick to renting it for now.

Thanks again!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Wow, 300% the answer I was looking for. Thanks m8!

But I think I'll then just stick to what I have now. Too much hassle and risk. Price changes could very well occur in the meantime. Because I want my Sabre for Arena Commander now, but the rework on the Cutlass will probably lead to an increased price sometime soon, I guess.

Buying the Vanguard will then be a nice goal to achieve when we can actually earn and start buying ships with in-game currency. Maybe they release even better options in the meantime or the Vanguard will get a big overhaul which makes it less interesting for me. I'll stick to renting it for now.

Thanks again!
Just buy a Andromeda to Warden CCU for $25 (or Harbinger for 55 or Sentinel for 40) and leave it in your hangar. Then you can work your way up to the Andromeda and apply the CCU when YOU WANT. In the meantime, you can fly your other ships, enjoy them, yaadaa yaadaa. This is exactly how I'm getting my Harbinger back. I bought the CCU to it, and I'll work my way back towards it.

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
Just buy a Andromeda to Warden CCU for $25 (or Harbinger for 55 or Sentinel for 40) and leave it in your hangar. Then you can work your way up to the Andromeda and apply the CCU when YOU WANT. In the meantime, you can fly your other ships, enjoy them, yaadaa yaadaa. This is exactly how I'm getting my Harbinger back. I bought the CCU to it, and I'll work my way back towards it.
This is also a very good idea. Then maybe later I can pledge some more cash into the game and get me a Vanguard. Thanks Blind Owl!

Forgot your password?