WTB Vanguard (maybe?)

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
Yo bunch of <fill in this space to your own discretion>,

With me just starting out in SC and with the upcoming sale and 3.0 in foresight, I was considering upgrading my Hornet Ghost (or buy an additional ship, depending on the pricetag).

Now, I mostly like dogfighting so far in 2.6.3. And with 3.0 upcoming, I prolly add exploration/scavaging to that list. Looking at ships that make my men parts tingle, I just LOVE the Vanguard Warden/Sentinal/Harbringer. But I have no idea if this ship is the good choice for what I want to do. I'm also still very much a noob, so I figured to ask you guys.

I figured the pros of this ship choice would be;
- It has a bed (for long distance exploration)
- I could bring a friend
- It's a strong fighter (from what I've seen/heard)
- BUKs can make it easy and relatively cheap to adapt to other roles
- It looks awesome!

The cons (maybe);
- No cargo storage possibilities (which makes scavaging an issue)
- Pretty large so not as nimble in pure dogfights / racing (if still relevant to earn REC in 3.0)
- Price (does anyone got an idea how much this thing would cost in a sale?)
- Turret currently requires a 2nd person to operate (or has this already been changed?)

What do you guys think? Any better suggestions? Or some more info on those things that are still not clear to me?

Thanx in advance for the help y'all!

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2

With me just starting out in SC and with the upcoming sale and 3.0 in foresight, I was considering upgrading my Hornet Ghost (or buy an additional ship, depending on the pricetag).

Now, I mostly like dogfighting so far in 2.6.3. And with 3.0 upcoming, I prolly add exploration/scavaging to that list. Looking at ships that make my men parts tingle, I just LOVE the Vanguard Warden/Sentinal/Harbringer. But I have no idea if this ship is the good choice for what I want to do. I'm also still very much a noob, so I figured to ask you guys.

- I could bring a friend
- It looks awesome!

The cons (maybe);
- Pretty large so not as nimble in pure dogfights / racing (if still relevant to earn REC in 3.0)
- Turret currently requires a 2nd person to operate (or has this already been changed?)

What do you guys think? Any better suggestions? Or some more info on those things that are still not clear to me?

$250, without tax, approximately €275 with tax, depending on the exchange course
The Warden is a long range fighter, but not a dogfighter, lighter ships can easily outturn it, but it can carry a shitload of missiles
The turret isn't linkable

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

- I could bring a friend
- It looks awesome!

The cons (maybe);

As has been pointed out, the Vanguard isn't much of a dogfighter, and is slower than other fighters....

Here's my opinion ---> everything is going to change, as they continue to rebalance ships and get the guns, hard points, and missiles right. Maybe the thing to do is test out different fighters, to better get a sense of whether you like a heavy fighter (slower, less maneuverable, but with heavy guns) vs. a lighter fighter (more maneuverable and faster, but with lighter guns).

Right now, you can earn REC in Arena Commander and then buy fighters in the Electronic Access area to fly them in just Arena Commander. Supposedly, Soon™ in 3.0, you will be able to use aUEC to buy a fighter and fly it in the PU, but that isn't available yet.
See the EA ships at:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/electronic-ships

So...in regards to the upcoming sale, maybe buy a smaller fighter that you can upgrade easily later? Or maybe buy a racer, that can help you to earn REC or aUEC later when racing is a thing in the PU. And/or, be on the look out for any LTI ships that come out, as you can then use that to upgrade to your dream fighter later on.

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
So...in regards to the upcoming sale, maybe buy a smaller fighter that you can upgrade easily later? Or maybe buy a racer, that can help you to earn REC or aUEC later when racing is a thing in the PU. And/or, be on the look out for any LTI ships that come out, as you can then use that to upgrade to your dream fighter later on.
Like the Sabre (or, if it turns out to be a light fighter, the new concept ship on the sales flyer) for instance?

You might be right. Since 3.0 is not here yet, making it useless to have a ship more suited for long distance travel and exploration now.

Then again, if 3.0 opens up for all beginning next year, I don't wanna wait another 9 months to be able to get a Warden. Does anyone know when 3.0 is expected to go live for the public? And how often normally the Vanguard is going on sale??

Kenlee

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Kenlee

- I could bring a friend
- It looks awesome!

The cons (maybe);

It all depends on what you want to do in the Verse - and it seems to me that is mostly combat, but with added versatility?
The Warden has not been on sale since Christmas last year afaik. It's a really nice ship for long range but it's also kinda pricy compared to what you get. I love the Vanguard myself but I will not buy due to the high price tag. If you want a versatile ship you should look into the Cutlass Black (100 dollars) or Freelancer series (110 dollars) To me those are the best starting options for any SC player. :) But if you want to be more combat oriented, take a look at a Banu Defender (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15871-Q-A-Banu-Defender)

I myself have bought a Banu Defender - it's a combat ship capable of going further than other light fighters because of double fuel tanks.
It has room for 2 with 2 beds included. It's 185 dollars though. (I am a sucker for Alien Ships so be warned, I am biased)

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Had the vanguard for awhile and it was awesome.
It got the short end of the stick in 2.6.2 and since the main focus is combat atm I melted it. (and all BUKs).

I think of the Vanguard as a first responder because of its long distance travel capability. It should be able to endure a beating and dish out some pretty decent damage while the rest of the fleet is on the way.

Pander

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Pander22
Remember the problem with dogfighting in star citizen will be range!

Sure a super hornet and a saber are gonna be good but will you get there?

With the vanguard you can be assured that you only need yourself to get into the fight and not worry about a transport there and back.

Now my go to ship for exploring and salvaging is the cutlass, you can stick a dragonfly in the back land on planets have a scoot about then fly off again in your cutlass and go explore salvage somewhere else (im a fanboy of this ship as i think its the perfect budget bit of everything ship)
Obviously it might not be as good as ships built for salvage and exploring but versatility is gonna be good in a game this scale

3.0 still has like 150+ bugs/blockers before they want to hand it out to the public so maybe 6 months from now haha......*is hurt by own joke*

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
I would have to agree Cutlass and Freelancer are both very good versatile options. Both should be able to explore (Cutlass Red has long range scanner so should be a potential module for the Black)and salvage fine and have decent weapon loadouts though they may not be dogfighting smaller ships both can do good against similar size and larger ships.

Just keep in mind that the freelancer is more cargo hauling focused and the Cutlass is more combat focused. The reworked Cutlass has more forward facing guns and seats in the back for a boarding/ dropship party and also comes with a tractor beam. Freelancer has more cargo and will have more cargo upgrades most likely while the Cutlass will pry always be more militia focused. The Freelancer as far as I know lacks a tractor beam. Both ships will have similar loadouts with scanner equipped since it takes a turret slot as far as we know.

While we don’t know the extent of the module system I would think it would be safe to say the ships will always be better at what they were originally designed to do and not as good as a ship that was originally designed to do what you mod said ship to do. Your exploration ships sacrifice weaponry to explore and cargo for tanks and better jump drives for that reason the Freelancer would be able to bring back more salvage/treasures than a cutlass and has the DUR variant that will be very good at what you want to do with exploration for $125 USD.

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
Thanks for all your advise people. I've still yet to decide but with all the arguments y'all provided I can make a much better comparison of the crafts. I think it boils down to the following options;
  1. Check out what the new concept ship is and if I'm lucky it already suits all my needs.
  2. Upgrade my Hornet Ghost to a Sabre (which I can always upgrade to a Vanguard down the road when it is on sale again).
  3. Upgrade to Vanguard right away.
  4. Keep my Hornet Ghost and add a second ship more suitable for exploration and scavaging (like a Cutlass).
I want to spent no more then €100 - €150 for the ship or upgrade.

What looks best to you guys? And does anyone have a Vanguard, Cutlass and/or Sabre who is willing to let me try it out before I buy one myself?

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
If you want a versatile ship you should look into the Cutlass Black (100 dollars) or Freelancer series (110 dollars) To me those are the best starting options for any SC player.
I agree 100%. ^
Thanks for all your advise people. I've still yet to decide but with all the arguments y'all provided I can make a much better comparison of the crafts. I think it boils down to the following options;
  1. Check out what the new concept ship is and if I'm lucky it already suits all my needs.
  2. Upgrade my Hornet Ghost to a Sabre (which I can always upgrade to a Vanguard down the road when it is on sale again).
  4. Keep my Hornet Ghost and add a second ship more suitable for exploration and scavaging (like a Cutlass).
I want to spent no more then €100 - €150 for the ship or upgrade.

What looks best to you guys? And does anyone have a Vanguard, Cutlass and/or Sabre who is willing to let me try it out before I buy one myself?
For 3.0 at least, if you have a Hornet and a Cutlass/Freelancer, you're set.
Oh, and a Dragonfly for land exploration.

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
I agree 100%. ^

For 3.0 at least, if you have a Hornet and a Cutlass/Freelancer, you're set.
Oh, and a Dragonfly for land exploration.
Yeah, I guess you're right. But I saw that the Cutlass can be bought any time. And since 3.0 is not out (and might not even be for another 6 months or so) I think I'll use this sale chance to upgrade my Hornet to a Sabre.

Can't do much with a Cutlass atm that I can't also do with a Hornet or Sabre anyway. And when 3.0 goes live, I'll get myself a Cutlass.

Unless the Cutlass is way cheaper during this sale. Does anyone know if prices go down as well? Or is the sale just aimed at offering the more rare ships?

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Yeah, I guess you're right. But I saw that the Cutlass can be bought any time. And since 3.0 is not out (and might not even be for another 6 months or so) I think I'll use this sale chance to upgrade my Hornet to a Sabre.

Can't do much with a Cutlass atm that I can't also do with a Hornet or Sabre anyway. And when 3.0 goes live, I'll get myself a Cutlass.

Unless the Cutlass is way cheaper during this sale. Does anyone know if prices go down as well? Or is the sale just aimed at offering the more rare ships?
The Cutlass will 100% go up in price once 3.0 hits.
The one thing you can't do with a Hornet/Sabre is carry cargo. My advice is this: get a Cutlass (or turn your Hornet into a Cutlass) and buy a CCU from Cutlass to Sabre. Use your Cutlass when 3.0 goes live and apply the CCU only when you get bored of your Cutlass (which may never happen).

Kenlee

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Kenlee

The Cutlass Black has been totally redone recently and we will see that apply in 3.0. When 3.0 hits (god knows when) the Cutlass will go up in price (Disco Lando said during gamesCom Stream) So it's a 100 dollars now, will probably increase by 20 dollars or so (Just random guess)

P.S : Prices never go down :D The sale is not an actual sale with discounts, you will just be able to buy ships that aren't usually being sold.
(It's a CIG marketing scheme, and 165 million dollars says it works).

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
The Cutlass Black has been totally redone recently and we will see that apply in 3.0. When 3.0 hits (god knows when) the Cutlass will go up in price (Disco Lando said during gamesCom Stream) So it's a 100 dollars now, will probably increase by 20 dollars or so (Just random guess)

P.S : Prices never go down :smile: The sale is not an actual sale with discounts, you will just be able to buy ships that aren't usually being sold.
(It's a CIG marketing scheme, and 165 million dollars says it works).
This was what I already thought. So I guess my gameplan will be, get a Sabre now while it is on sale. And then get a Cutlass (+ Dragonfly or another type of hoverbike or small land vehicle) somewhere in the next few months (but at latest before 3.0). I don't mind supporting this game every couple of months with some money. Just can't afford everything at once.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I think it boils down to the following options;
  1. If it is, it will be expensive
  2. Better keep the Ghost, if you want to upgrade the Ghost, pick a CCU from the closest most expensive ship, like the Connie Andromeda, $225 to Warden, $25 and CCU it when ready. You always can get a CCU from Ghost to Andromeda for $100
  3. also an option
  4. It's your choice, try them before you decide.
And does anyone have a Vanguard, Cutlass and/or Sabre who is willing to let me try it out before I buy one myself?
Sure, add me, SC handle Marcsand2, Discord Marcsand2, here also.

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
This was what I already thought. So I guess my gameplan will be, get a Sabre now while it is on sale. And then get a Cutlass (+ Dragonfly or another type of hoverbike or small land vehicle) somewhere in the next few months (but at latest before 3.0). I don't mind supporting this game every couple of months with some money. Just can't afford everything at once.
I think you will be very happy with a Cutlass if you are combat focused. It will have dripship and boarding options for FPS combat. You pry won’t be able to have as far a range as a freelancer(alien tech engines) for exploration but it should still have decent range.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?