WTF 3.4 / 22

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
Okay, did a bit of testing. Even though you can put a size 2 Quantum Drive in an Avenger, you don't have enough Quatum Fuel to jump very far. Also, Freelancer gets much better mileage, what would have taken an Avenger 720 QF to travel, only took the Freelancer 560.
maybe it has something to do with cooling since the lancer has 2 size 2 coolers? or maybe just a bug? shame though cause i'd be real interested in a small ship that does well in atmo with a size 2 q drive.

edit: have you tried running the q drive at something like 3/4 power and see what it does?

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
maybe it has something to do with cooling since the lancer has 2 size 2 coolers? or maybe just a bug? shame though cause i'd be real interested in a small ship that does well in atmo with a size 2 q drive.

edit: have you tried running the q drive at something like 3/4 power and see what it does?
No I have not. Though the Kore has a range of about 55 mk on 583 QF. Talk about getting some good mileage! It is the longest ranged of the small ships I have tested. You have to overclock the coolers though, even if you upgrade to the Class C Military Coolers, they just cannot handle it unless overclocked.

From what I can tell, it is not the range that is really affected by the size of the QD, but the speed while in QT. Bigger QD's go faster.

Found something interesting over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9tv5wv View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9tv5wv/quantum_drives_test_size_1_lets_find_out_the/

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
No I have not. Though the Kore has a range of about 55 mk on 583 QF. Talk about getting some good mileage! It is the longest ranged of the small ships I have tested. You have to overclock the coolers though, even if you upgrade to the Class C Military Coolers, they just cannot handle it unless overclocked.

From what I can tell, it is not the range that is really affected by the size of the QD, but the speed while in QT. Bigger QD's go faster.
that's why a small ship with a size 2 would be nice. jump from points to get around fast while also getting down and back up from a planet quickly. i think the size you can install matters with size of the coolers but probably the biggest thing is the size of your qt tanks because you can't mod that.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Yup 3.4 is out and it took 22 jumps to get to Lorville from Port Olisar in my Prospector as I kept getting a message saying thrusters overheating so the QD kept shutting down ???
just switch off all "not needed" systems before QT .. I also believe it is a bug

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Don't need to shut down anything read my previous post in the thread.!

OverClock cooler before take off is all that is needed!
No micro manage turning of system and messing around, that's just a waste of time.

I've done all in one jump A->B, tested from Delamar above Levski to Hurston above Lorville.

Not one problem what so ever with Mustang, Avenger, Hornet, Sabre, Arrow, Hawk, Kah, Kore... etc..

And no overheating all in one jump even left the power on all the time to the EMP in Hawk and Warlock made no difference. (used default as what ships come with)

Make It's simple, not complicated! Flight ready ship, make sure all coolers are OC, take off and fly any way you want, no more overheating BS.

CHEERS!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pug76 and Deroth

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Did a bit more limited testing, was QT'ing from Comm Station 47 to Comm Station 76 (only things that do not really vary in distance dependent upon orbit). It is only 69,227km, but yielded some interesting results. I used Civilian Class C Quantum Drives. The testing took place in a Renegade. The Renegade comes with an Expedition QD as standard loadout.

Expedition (size 1) Fuel: .68 QF, time: 27.32 seconds (102km/QF)
Odyssey (size 2) Fuel: 1.62 QF, time: 25.85 seconds (43km/QF)

So, while stuffing a size 2 drive is possible in the Avenger, the fuel expenditure nearly triples.

Forgot your password?