Yes, it's another help me decide on a ship thread

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
Clowns that murder knives? They are the third deadliest type of clown, after Killer Klowns From Outerspace and all the clowns I see driving on the road on my way to work in the mornings.
Oh wow, the subtitle is IN SPACE, NO ONE CAN EAT ICE CREAM? Is that true? Maybe I am not so fond of space after all...

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
My wife is exactly the same, she is the one who shared that cinematic masterpiece with me.

In return I shared Howard The Duck with her.
I think that is considered a crime agaisnt humanity in some countries.

I actually have an ursa now from the entrepreneur pack i bought. All the pixels I own have LTI so I don't have to worry about that part, but with repairs, refueling and rearming costs, loss of cargo from getting blown up by pirates on top of trying to save for the next ship once in game...I'm not hoping they make it too quick but take just long enough to be challenging, not daunting. I may get the caterpillar and a bigger ship, now I'm going to have to figure out which bigger ship to pick up. the 600i Explorer looks like it would be a good fit. as to the capital ships I don't know much about them as I never really looked at them with an eye to buy
Another option to consider looking into would be getting an Hull B to Hull C CCU.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I could have sworn there used to be a way to view ships side by side on the RSI site but I can't seem to find it. I want to put up some of these suggestions side by side and just compare them, maybe I'm misremembering.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I could have sworn there used to be a way to view ships side by side on the RSI site but I can't seem to find it. I want to put up some of these suggestions side by side and just compare them, maybe I'm misremembering.
I remember seeing that option before too, but it isn't hard to pull them up in separate tabs to compare.

Reactions: Talonsbane

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
So I'm thinking I may CCU a Hull B to a hull C, that is a noticeable jump in cargo capacity and the minimum crew is 2 so i could probably get away with only having to hire one npc worse comes to worst. I think the other one may become a caterpillar.

I've seen people say good things about the carrack, the idris and the retaliator (I think my buyback is the bomber not the base), anyone have any thoughts on those? Are the modules only useful for the base model of the retaliator? And what about prices when the november sale hits? I may get one of these three I think. I may be able to save the 600i as my in game goal, I'd like to get one but I'm not sure if I feel the same urgency.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
1st off, remember that you joined this motley band of unique individuals just like the rest of us. So I advise that you have a seat, prop your legs up, enjoy a few beverages of your choice & relax while thinking about all of your possible options given that the Anniversary sale is coming up in mid to late Nov. Examine your finances, set a reasonable limit for yourself & then within that limit figure out what you like most that you can either obtain or upgrade to. Since this is TEST Squadron, you are always welcome to Kraken open a beer.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Clowns that murder knives? They are the third deadliest type of clown, after Killer Klowns From Outerspace and all the clowns I see driving on the road on my way to work in the mornings.
I use to share this movie with drunken friends with clown phobias at the ends of parties as I'd leave with them passed out in the living room with the TV on. Nothing says "I love you fool, let's do this again soon" more than waking up to a hangover from horrible nightmares.

I had nightmares about that movie as a child.... they still haunt me.
They still haunt my friends with clown phobias as well whenever they wake up from having gotten too drunk the night before. Don't you just love gifts that never stop coming? ;p

My wife is exactly the same, she is the one who shared that cinematic masterpiece with me.

In return I shared Howard The Duck with her.
I remember Howard the Duck fondly & found it a wonderful Easter Egg in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies when he had his brief cameos.

I substitute "Things" with beverages. Cheers! 🍻

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So I'm thinking I may CCU a Hull B to a hull C, that is a noticeable jump in cargo capacity and the minimum crew is 2 so i could probably get away with only having to hire one npc worse comes to worst. I think the other one may become a caterpillar.

I've seen people say good things about the carrack, the idris and the retaliator (I think my buyback is the bomber not the base), anyone have any thoughts on those? Are the modules only useful for the base model of the retaliator? And what about prices when the november sale hits? I may get one of these three I think. I may be able to save the 600i as my in game goal, I'd like to get one but I'm not sure if I feel the same urgency.

Hull C is great but it might be limited in where it can go and dock for cargo transfer.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Hull C is great but it might be limited in where it can go and dock for cargo transfer.
It is in the production pipe now so hopefully we'll know for sure soon, but I thought that indicated this should be able to go land anywhere a Caterpillar can.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If you want to fly solo cargo and already have an Aquila, seems you're set. What sort of weapons do you have on it? Have you taken it out to see if you can manage missions against NPC pirates with it?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The Hull C can land with no cargo, but given how the cargo is attached to spines it will mostly go from station to station doing the bulk runs and even then most truck stops will not have the facilities to load and unload the larger Hull ships.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
The hull B also sorta has a similar problem but not on the same scale if you look at the concept art. It has a smaller profile so it should fit on most landing pads easier but I've never been clear on how you get into and out of the Hull B-E ships if they're loaded with cargo. As to the aquila that's supposed to be an exploration ship i think, it only has a cargo capacity of 96 units and I'm not sure how much of that is taken up by the Ursa Rover that comes with it. I actually have the andromeda with an aquila upgrade that I had purchased but haven't applied yet.

Now that I'm looking at these ships closer, the Idris looks like it costs a little more than I'm ready to pay for one ship atm, and I can always reconsider the retaliator bomber later, I'll have it in my buybacks until they don't let us do buybacks anymore. So I'm thinking I may pick up a Carrack. It's a ship I'd probably end up getting in the game but would take me a while to save up for. If I'm understanding it correctly, it has much the same functionality as the Aquila though right? I'm wondering if I should (or even be able to) CCU the aquila, once I apply the upgrade, to a carrack.

Reactions: Deroth

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The Constellation Aquila, the Origin 600i Explorer and the Freelancer Dur are the mid size exploration (Both the Aquila and 600i have space for a buggy/rover while the DUR has room for a bike, the Aquila also has the snub fighter ). Then you have the small explorers like the Origin 315p, Hornet Tracker, Aurora LX/ES, Mustang Beta, and Terrapin. The Anvil Carrack is in the Large if not Capital ship class allowing for longer and further travel then other ships along with medical and repair facilities plus the space for a buggy/rover .

Reactions: Deroth

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
The Constellation Aquila, the Origin 600i Explorer and the Freelancer Dur are the mid size exploration (Both the Aquila and 600i have space for a buggy/rover while the DUR has room for a bike, the Aquila also has the snub fighter ). Then you have the small explorers like the Origin 315p, Hornet Tracker, Aurora LX/ES, Mustang Beta, and Terrapin. The Anvil Carrack is in the Large if not Capital ship class allowing for longer and further travel then other ships along with medical and repair facilities plus the space for a buggy/rover .
so what i'm hearing is since i have the 315p and the aquila I need to get the carrack to make a full set of small, mid size and large explorers lol
(i'm half kidding, I really am looking forward to exploration)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You forgot the Reliant Sen.

But really the biggest difference between the sizes is the scan radius. Cap is best. It'll be interesting to see if you can fly a dozen Sen's off the Carrack. That would make an amazing scan task force.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The reliant Sen is meant to be the baby science vessel (the only other is the endeavour). I know it doesn't meant it cannot explore just saying.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
IIUC, the definition of "science vessel" is that it scans to find jump points. Pretty sure "science" and "exploration" are intended to be the same thing, unless you're talking about an astronomical observatory like on Endeavor. It appears the poor man's way to go exploring in a serious task force is fly a Star G supporting a dozen Sen, since they have the refueling probe and don't need to land.

Likewise you should be able to fly a dozen Tana off a Star G for security and they would never run out of range. There is something unusual about the Reliant series that concerns the refueling probe. CIG has not said anything definitive but they mentioned it with the Reliant Kore release and it appears you cannot simply refuel birds in space without a place to dock unless they include the probe.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?