Yes, it's another help me decide on a ship thread

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I just want to thank all the enablers before I start. Without you all I wouldn't be where I am today, lol. So unless they release more soloable/small crew ships I think I'm done buying ships for now more or less, here's what I've got: Mercury Starrunner, Apollo Medivac, constellation aquilla, Super hornet, 315p, Prospector, Vulcan, Vulture. Now I've also got a Nox and two Hull Bs. I'm keeping one of the Hull Bs but I'm probably gonna CCU the other one and the Nox. I was thinking about turning the nox into a cutlass black or a freelancer variant, mainly for if I want to do cargo runs but don't have any other protection flying with me and I'm not sure what to do with the B. Any thoughts or suggestions?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you for bringing this conundrum before the Forum.

Once you have the ships you need, I'd say you'd be smart to get at least one ship you won't be able to get hold of easily in the finished game...

So for your spare ship, to CCU, I would like to suggest looking for a capital class ship. With the prices for ships in the eventual game looking to need a lot of work to acquire, a shrewd CCU now may pay dividends if when the game goes live it may take months of play to get a ship near or over the 200 meter mark - so even if thats not something you'll want, Crazy Bobs Used Ship Sales will be very interested in your craft and you may find a phat stack of credits in return for that huge ship you may not have really been interested in in the first place...

Which one should you choose? Entirely up to you, but looking at ships like the Banu Merchantman that ballooned well beyond their original design, you may want to look to some of the more neglected capital size ship concepts which haven't had any love or attention yet, to be able to grab something more affordable.

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I had originally planned on earning a number of ships in the game, but those ship prices I saw earlier compared to how much actual play time I think I'm gonna get make me think you may be right and it might not be a bad idea to get at least one larger ship that may take the better part of 6 months to a year to earn in game now. currently, I had been focusing on soloable ships or small crew ships that I could pack with npcs because I'm not sure if I'd be able to commit to being in the game at any particular time consistently and have a regular crew or something ready to play with me. I'm not sure about combat because I'm sort of going by what I can do now and I'm not that impressed with my performance. So at the moment I was thinking stuff like cargo running, mining, salvaging, support, general non combaty stuff. But it might be fun to have a capital ship that I could bring out on the occasions that I could make org events. I also have a retaliator heavy bomber in buy back that I wasn't sure if I should get again due to it needing a bunch of people

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Depends on what you want to do in game. We get these questions allllll the time. And there is no easy answer unless you tell us exactly what you plan to do in game. Cause that will ultimately determine which ship best suits your needs.
From the ships they've got their needs look pretty well catered for:

Mercury Starrunner,
Apollo Medivac,
constellation aquilla,
Super hornet,
315p,
Prospector,
Vulcan,
Vulture.
Nox
2x Hull Bs.

I'd say next stop is somthing very big an unnecessary 😍

EDIT - the previous post appeared while I was writing, please disregard this post.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I had originally picked up the hull B for cargo because it said minimum crew needed was 1. I only ended up with a second one because I got the entrepreneur pack. I don't think they ever claimed the Hull series was gonna have much in the way of defenses, so it would be better for convoys i guess. Was only thinking of the cutlass and the freelancer as an additional alternative for when i'm by myself and need to make sure I can survive getting hit by pirates, npc or otherwise. But the caterpillar looks like it might be a better option

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I had originally planned on earning a number of ships in the game, but those ship prices I saw earlier compared to how much actual play time I think I'm gonna get make me think you may be right and it might not be a bad idea to get at least one larger ship that may take the better part of 6 months to a year to earn in game now. currently, I had been focusing on soloable ships or small crew ships that I could pack with npcs because I'm not sure if I'd be able to commit to being in the game at any particular time consistently and have a regular crew or something ready to play with me. I'm not sure about combat because I'm sort of going by what I can do now and I'm not that impressed with my performance. So at the moment I was thinking stuff like cargo running, mining, salvaging, support, general non combaty stuff. But it might be fun to have a capital ship that I could bring out on the occasions that I could make org events. I also have a retaliator heavy bomber in buy back that I wasn't sure if I should get again due to it needing a bunch of people
Don't let those prices scare you for now those are just place holder prices in my oppinion and they will balance that later with rewards from different missions. Id suggest you melt a good portion of those smaller ships and get something bigger such as an Orion, Reclaimer, 600i Explorer, or if you are into combat then Polaris. Keep a couple smaller ships such as your prospector (Get a ursa or tumbril) and your 315. There will be plenty of time to earn the smaller stuff later but the bigger stuff it's going to take a while and keeping up with insurance costs when you get to many ships is going to be a pain especially early game. This is just my oppinion ive always been a get the big stuff now kinda guy get the smaller stuff in game with the little free time i'll have.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
From a practical point of view being able to jump in a small ship and get from point A to B for a pick up with minimal fuss is more efficient and cost effective than spinning up your bigger ships.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I had originally picked up the hull B for cargo because it said minimum crew needed was 1. I only ended up with a second one because I got the entrepreneur pack. I don't think they ever claimed the Hull series was gonna have much in the way of defenses, so it would be better for convoys i guess. Was only thinking of the cutlass and the freelancer as an additional alternative for when i'm by myself and need to make sure I can survive getting hit by pirates, npc or otherwise. But the caterpillar looks like it might be a better option
I love my Caterpillar; my Cutlass is my primary ship and I have a Buccaneer for serious fighting, but I do seem to spend far more time in the Caterpillar running cargo than anything else in game.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Don't let those prices scare you for now those are just place holder prices in my oppinion and they will balance that later with rewards from different missions. Id suggest you melt a good portion of those smaller ships and get something bigger such as an Orion, Reclaimer, 600i Explorer, or if you are into combat then Polaris. Keep a couple smaller ships such as your prospector (Get a ursa or tumbril) and your 315. There will be plenty of time to earn the smaller stuff later but the bigger stuff it's going to take a while and keeping up with insurance costs when you get to many ships is going to be a pain especially early game. This is just my oppinion ive always been a get the big stuff now kinda guy get the smaller stuff in game with the little free time i'll have.
I actually have an ursa now from the entrepreneur pack i bought. All the pixels I own have LTI so I don't have to worry about that part, but with repairs, refueling and rearming costs, loss of cargo from getting blown up by pirates on top of trying to save for the next ship once in game...I'm not hoping they make it too quick but take just long enough to be challenging, not daunting. I may get the caterpillar and a bigger ship, now I'm going to have to figure out which bigger ship to pick up. the 600i Explorer looks like it would be a good fit. as to the capital ships I don't know much about them as I never really looked at them with an eye to buy

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I actually have an ursa now from the entrepreneur pack i bought. All the pixels I own have LTI so I don't have to worry about that part, but with repairs, refueling and rearming costs, loss of cargo from getting blown up by pirates on top of trying to save for the next ship once in game...I'm not hoping they make it too quick but take just long enough to be challenging, not daunting. I may get the caterpillar and a bigger ship, now I'm going to have to figure out which bigger ship to pick up. the 600i Explorer looks like it would be a good fit. as to the capital ships I don't know much about them as I never really looked at them with an eye to buy
Capital ships are a tough one but you get capital level sensors engines and the works which is why they are just that much better overall. But once again you need to sit and think about what exactly you want to do in the end as there are so many different types of capital ships. Sit and think about what ultimately you would like to do the most and gear your capital in that direction. Like i said maybe downsize a bit on the fleet amount you have and get 1 big capital and purchase the rest in game later.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
A major downside to Capital ships is the need to be sociable in order to crew it properly, so running around in a bloody clown mask chasing people with a knife is pretty much out.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
A major downside to Capital ships is the need to be sociable in order to crew it properly, so running around in a bloody clown mask chasing people with a knife is pretty much out.
Unless you’re in TEST in which case we just create a knife-murdering clowns group for you.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Unless you’re in TEST in which case we just create a knife-murdering clowns group for you.
Clowns that murder knives? They are the third deadliest type of clown, after Killer Klowns From Outerspace and all the clowns I see driving on the road on my way to work in the mornings.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I had nightmares about that movie as a child.... they still haunt me.
My wife is exactly the same, she is the one who shared that cinematic masterpiece with me.

In return I shared Howard The Duck with her.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
In your shoes I would wait. It is clear you have everything you need to start the game and try out most professions (no drop ship!). The caterpillar etc has similar space to the hull B so if you want solo play I would stick with it. It cannot cope in a gun fight but knowing you run or die is good to know you behave accordingly. More middle ships will come out, the ones I am looking at are mining (I have prospector and orion) but would settle for the middle one. I get why people are saying get an end game ship but it is okay to have goals in the game as long as you have fun playing it. If you do not have fun why buy a $300 dollar plus ship? So either it is fun and you can grind up or it isn't and you wouldn't have enjoyed the expensive ship. I have both because sometimes after work solo play is desired.

Forgot your password?