You all ever wonder if all this beta testing, deep dive strategy, maybe isnt a good thing and will be a problem in the future?

ThunderKraken

Space Marshal
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
Thunder_Kraken
Heya happy new years guys,

Say when the game gets released alot of people are going to I guess "professionally" know how to play the game. It's good and bad but will that really be fun? It's like rebuilding a jigsaw puzzle. Your able to do it faster more methodical approach, but necessarily it isn't as fun and interesting as the first time building it.

Other mmo games have the same problem. WoW remade classic servers to re-experience the nostalgia. It was cool, but the nostalgia experience was everyone dabbling into an unknown and figuring stuff out through Barrens chat. Good amount of players were normies. Contributed to the economy and overall experience. You don't have to read quests, power level here, this sells for alot, this area of map is useless. You already know this information beforehand.

Another example is like when all my relatives meet up in my household and we play mario kart. It quickly loses its luster because my nephew schools everyone on every single track. Eventually we all lose interest, do something else, and he's still playing thinking we're watching. "1st place again!!"

In the case of starcitizen, as it is, people already get discouraged by pay to win ships and LTI. New people are just going to jump in and further be discouraged.

"Hey, how come no one flies this ship?" or "Hey why is everyone flying same ship?"

"I like mining on yela, how come no one likes to mine here? What do you mean there's no money here?"

"Why is everyone doing this quest line?"

I dunno. I just feel these are future problems. I'm not sure of this has been discussed or CIG has addressed this for the future. Not sure how to remedy this unless game launches and surprise guys, you all are familiar with Stanton system but we're all going to start in a brand new unknown system. That or rearrange Stanton. Build a new puzzle.

Reactions: Sky Captain

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I disagree with your claim that new people are discouraged.

If anything, its the older backers that are discouraged because we paid for everything already! :D

Start up a fresh account with nothing but a starter ship. Its so much more rewarding when you do the first bunker mission and collect all the weapons and ammo. Getting enough money to buy the prospector or vulture is a huge accomplishment!

Mining or salvaging for a few hours and getting paid, putting you one step closer to buying the next bigger ship feels like massive progress being made.

We don't even have the exploration loops in. At some point there will be systems, planets, asteroids to explore which will yield important artifacts that could be sold.

I have my main account which has everything on it, then I have a barebones alt account with just a starter ship. I enjoy playing the alt account more because of the progression is forces me to experience!

I think new people coming in with smaller ships get to experience the game the way it was meant to be played.

We place way too much importance on LTI IMO, CIG have said many times that its not going to be a big deal in the game.

The late game problems Star Citizen will face will likely be similar to Eve where players just need new areas, new enemies and new things to do.

ThunderKraken

Space Marshal
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
Thunder_Kraken
I disagree with your claim that new people are discouraged.

If anything, its the older backers that are discouraged because we paid for everything already! :D

Start up a fresh account with nothing but a starter ship. Its so much more rewarding when you do the first bunker mission and collect all the weapons and ammo. Getting enough money to buy the prospector or vulture is a huge accomplishment!

Mining or salvaging for a few hours and getting paid, putting you one step closer to buying the next bigger ship feels like massive progress being made.

We don't even have the exploration loops in. At some point there will be systems, planets, asteroids to explore which will yield important artifacts that could be sold.

I have my main account which has everything on it, then I have a barebones alt account with just a starter ship. I enjoy playing the alt account more because of the progression is forces me to experience!

I think new people coming in with smaller ships get to experience the game the way it was meant to be played.

We place way too much importance on LTI IMO, CIG have said many times that its not going to be a big deal in the game.

The late game problems Star Citizen will face will likely be similar to Eve where players just need new areas, new enemies and new things to do.
I dunno, I don't like that notion of starting a new alt to re-experience the game either. I can see your viewpoint but it's also been tried and most of us have done mmo games where we have alt characters sitting and collecting dust.

"This character!!! He will be the prodigy because I know how to do everything, and he will be perfect...."

This is what I mean. Eventually there are no normies. Even the characters you suspect are normies are people that have extensive experience of the game.

"Hey, let me help out this n00b. He looks like he needs help."

- "aww man, turns out he authored the roc raider faq. He's not a scrub after all... He's actually schooling me now."

I really don't know how to explain, but casual normies do add a level of uniqueness to a game. I'm wondering if that will be the new challenge finding unconventional ways for CIG to make the game fresh and attract and keep new people.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Every game gets stale for some of its players at some point.

There is no avoiding it.

However, I do feel we are getting close to that metaverse type environment where you live your life in a game universe. Star Citizen is not there yet, but its close!

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Every game gets stale for some of its players at some point.

There is no avoiding it.

However, I do feel we are getting close to that metaverse type environment where you live your life in a game universe. Star Citizen is not there yet, but its close!
im so ready to jack-in, hookup the feedertubes and biotubes, and load in the verse and never come back! oh except for maybe a couple months in the winter to snowboard, and a few weeks in the summer to race, oh and i guess once a day to..."hangout with my beautiful asian wife for 1-2 mins ;) but yeah we are getting pretty close! for real tho can we just chill out on the food and water needs being so absurd, like until after 4.0 at least. like im legit spending more time trying to eat food and drink water or find a medbed than i do any actually flyin or fps stuff. thats really my only complaint. the 30k thing was pretty bad, but so far i think it has all worked out well; the beta testing, deep dive strategy i mean.

• Love
Reactions: Shiwaz

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Heya happy new years guys,

Say when the game gets released alot of people are going to I guess "professionally" know how to play the game. It's good and bad but will that really be fun? It's like rebuilding a jigsaw puzzle. Your able to do it faster more methodical approach, but necessarily it isn't as fun and interesting as the first time building it.

Other mmo games have the same problem. WoW remade classic servers to re-experience the nostalgia. It was cool, but the nostalgia experience was everyone dabbling into an unknown and figuring stuff out through Barrens chat. Good amount of players were normies. Contributed to the economy and overall experience. You don't have to read quests, power level here, this sells for alot, this area of map is useless. You already know this information beforehand.

Another example is like when all my relatives meet up in my household and we play mario kart. It quickly loses its luster because my nephew schools everyone on every single track. Eventually we all lose interest, do something else, and he's still playing thinking we're watching. "1st place again!!"

In the case of starcitizen, as it is, people already get discouraged by pay to win ships and LTI. New people are just going to jump in and further be discouraged.

"Hey, how come no one flies this ship?" or "Hey why is everyone flying same ship?"

"I like mining on yela, how come no one likes to mine here? What do you mean there's no money here?"

"Why is everyone doing this quest line?"

I dunno. I just feel these are future problems. I'm not sure of this has been discussed or CIG has addressed this for the future. Not sure how to remedy this unless game launches and surprise guys, you all are familiar with Stanton system but we're all going to start in a brand new unknown system. That or rearrange Stanton. Build a new puzzle.
Happy New Year, TK!

Yes, many players will be familiar with the controls and some of the mechanics when the game goes live - but with 100 star systems I'd counter that when you go to a new town, does your enjoyment of it deminish because you don't have to learn how to walk before you check out the night-life?

My personal view is it's going to be a huge game with myriad different things to do, try... and be. I've not done any Merc jobs. I've not done refuel, mining or salvage, I'm still exploring the surface of the few plantets we have access to at the moment. The actual mechanics of the game are all there for me to try later and even for players who are hard on a certain mechanic right now, the rest and more mechanics along like Science, Medical, agricultural, base building etc etc etc will be there for them to try later too. I think there is going to be too much to check out for players to shrug at launch that they have no more lands left to conquer :)

ThunderKraken

Space Marshal
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
Thunder_Kraken
I hope so. I just feel when launch happens, brand new start, everyone is going to go with a planned proven game plan. Realistically everyone initially is going to go with what makes the most money. We're going to backtrack all the years of testing and conclude... yea you can do whatever you want but doing ________ is guaranteed 50-100k credits per hour. Don't mess around with anything else for now. It's fine and all lol who doesn't like money. You all know this is going to happen and if you stray from the game plan you get left behind.

Eventually in gaming everything just leads to that point. Most bang for your buck, shortest amount of time to acquire top tier. Stuff that is or isn't worth time putting into. That's just the problem with gaming. I dont do a whole lot of playing star citizen but watching posts and videos, I guess I play vicariously through you all, I already feel like i know the best way of doing things without even playing :(

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Realistically everyone initially is going to go with what makes the most money.
I rather doubt this actually, and will as usual refer to Elite Dangerous as my point of comparison. There, asteroid core mining was the top money make for many years. But even when Void Opals were top dog for quite a while, not everyone was mining them all the time. First you needed the right ship/outfitting equipment in order TO mine, which meant a certain level of investment to even get started. Then you had to find them, do the mining, and most importantly figure out where to sell them, with all of the various travel to/from those locations. So most of us would do SOME mining, for a few sessions or so, but would then use those profits to 'go back' to our more enjoyable pursuits. For me this was exploring and combat, so maybe I'd mine some in order to get the credits to buy a new Thargoid-blasting ship, but I'd then spend MUCH more of my in-game time blasting said Thargoids than continuing to mine.
On top of this, just like in SC the economy is somewhat dynamic, and Void Opals and even core mining while still lucrative are no longer the top-tier income earner. So my point is as long as the developers have SOME sort of plan for economy balancing, I would expect most of the following to be true:
- Highest earning activities will require up-front investment of play-time, in-game currency, rep, etc. that will raise the bar of entry to the activity. Just because you have an LTI Orion and know how to mine in Alpha doesn't mean you'll be 'ready' be the best miner on launch day.
- Even with the highest earning activity known and available to all, most players won't do it exclusively, as more interesting and better risk/reward activities will draw them away regularly.
- A proper dynamic economy will prevent a single activity from being the go-to all the time for very long.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?