Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Supposedly North Korea has been shooting any of their citizens even remotely suspected to have to Covid-19.

I suppose the virus will be harder to spread when the carriers are immediately executed. 🤦‍♂️

They call that "Taking one for the team."

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Supposedly North Korea has been shooting any of their citizens even remotely suspected to have to Covid-19.

I suppose the virus will be harder to spread when the carriers are immediately executed. 🤦‍♂️
If this is happening and the executors get the virus because they are in contact with the infected and then have to execute themselves... who will then do the executions?

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Last edited:
Reactions: ColdDog

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Starting to see a number of schools starting to shut down in the US

Still, most of them will wait for a confirmed case in one of the classrooms before they do.

Being reactive instead of proactive is the wrong strategy here.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Scary chart, and the numbers behind it:

This is probably one of the more interesting and informative pieces of info I have found.

China took drastic steps to slow down new infections, and its working!

Only 200 new cases reported today in mainland China, the last few paragraphs explain the decline.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fbt49e View: https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fbt49e/the_who_sent_25_international_experts_to_china/

The thing with China, is that they have so much more control of everything and everyone inside their country. Almost everything in the world seems to get manufactured in China, and they have a lot of control over their manufacturing. They can seize anything they need be it goods or private property. They can force people to do almost anything. While most of this sounds horrible to other countries, during a pandemic, it seems to me to be the best way to approach this, centralized authoritarianism. Im not advocating for it, but I dont see other governments being able to control it nearly as well. What do y'all think?

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
2 cases in Colorado that I just heard about. I guess some lady flew back from a cruise and had it, she's been isolated in her home. I already talked to my staff about being prepared to telecommute for an extended period of time if necessary.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
ugh... people. Please do some simple math before freaking out. 3411-2931 = 480 in the entire world outside of China have died --> that is a little over 14%, 85% of the ENTIRE death toll is in China. US has way below one percent of the deaths. And the majority of those deaths were from a OLD FOLKS HOME in WA.

1583516499946.png

1583516535084.png

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
US has way below one percent of the deaths. And the majority of those deaths were from a OLD FOLKS HOME in WA.
The more accurate number we can expect is 0.6% mortality rate like South Korea.

South Korea did 140,000 tests on their population, which is the most testing done by any first world country.

It is also worth remembering that all these countries have taken drastic steps to slow down the spread, we have hardly done anything at all here. Some events have been cancelled, a few school closed, but nothing extreme like S Korea.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
ugh... people. Please do some simple math before freaking out. 3411-2931 = 480 in the entire world outside of China have died --> that is a little over 14%, 85% of the ENTIRE death toll is in China. US has way below one percent of the deaths. And the majority of those deaths were from a OLD FOLKS HOME in WA.

View attachment 15124

View attachment 15125

No ones "freaking out", and the amount of deaths is almost irrelevant. Trying to downplay this is just ridiculous though, don't be so pretentious. In Italy their hospitals are overwhelmed and at capacity. Their staff are getting infected and can't work, and we are in the very very early stages of this virus. Its not like all other diseases and medical issues just go away. What happens to the people who need ICU beds for other things? What happens when your hospital staff are out of commission? What happens when companies cant operate because their workforce is crippled? If we stop taking measures to contain this, our hospitals will be overwhelmed almost immediately. Its putting our EMS personnel out of commission already. Theres reasons why every state that has a case is declaring an emergency. Theres a reason were having daily briefings from multiple agencies around the world. There's a reason why this is "a big deal". China can't move product. The stock market is on the decline and no one seems to know if its going to keep going or its going to bounce back. Can our hospitals do surgeries without masks? Because were definitely going to run out. Will struggling airlines stay in business if they cant fly? Because theyre already struggling. Companies are already laying people off and people are being affected. I absolutely do not and cannot understand the condescending attitude you and other people have towards this. I understand the optimism bias, but open your eyes.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Trying to downplay this is just ridiculous though, don't be so pretentious.
Look, I've watched TV sitcoms well. I went to NBC school in the military. That said, you are correct, it can increase exponentially, especially for elderly people, in an extremely short amount of time. I get it, but the Titanic is not sinking and its is not time to run for life rafts yet (because in the end, you cannot reason with a virus, and you can't fly off the planet to run away. It is like a flood, you have to get out of its way, because it is coming whether you like it or not. At some point there must be in acceptance that SHIT happens and we just have to deal with it). But to scare the public is irresponsible - stock market is falling (bad), so is my home interest rate (good). By no means am I saying that being prepared is bad, it is good, and this virus is going to get worse before it gets better. Lets just be realistic about it.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
According to a local news article what someone shared on The Facebook, the UK county I live in has its first confirmed case/s.

I say case/s because although it's confirmed, the exact number of "confirmed" cases is "between 1 and 4".

I feel reassured that in the face of the potential apocolypse I can continue my pastimes of being semi-confused and mildly bemused.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Look, I've watched TV sitcoms well. I went to NBC school in the military. That said, you are correct, it can increase exponentially, especially for elderly people, in an extremely short amount of time. I get it, but the Titanic is not sinking and its is not time to run for life rafts yet (because in the end, you cannot reason with a virus, and you can't fly off the planet to run away. It is like a flood, you have to get out of its way, because it is coming whether you like it or not. At some point there must be in acceptance that SHIT happens and we just have to deal with it). But to scare the public is irresponsible - stock market is falling (bad), so is my home interest rate (good). By no means am I saying that being prepared is bad, it is good, and this virus is going to get worse before it gets better. Lets just be realistic about it.

I apologize if I misunderstood you, but I don't think anyone is trying to scare anyone in this thread. I find everything in here to be really interesting more than anything. Its good to know whats going on but no one in the world seems to have all the facts yet so its hard to stay objective about things, which might lead some to believe were purposefully pushing false information in an attempt to stir the anxiety pot. Its just healthy discussion with some reasonable speculation. Im not here to insult anyone's intelligence either so I assume most in here understand the inevitable ambiguity. You're correct in saying the titanic isnt sinking, and regardless there isnt much we can do about it but deal with whatever comes out way.

My neighbor already had his grandaughter laid off and as you can see through this thread, some peoples workplaces are already either being affected or preparing to make changes to what they do. Paying attention to whats happening to them and people in their situation and how they handle it will be good information to have. I stated in the first post in here that my biggest worry, and I'm assuming most everyone elses, is the socioeconomic impact. Its just sucks waiting to see if or when it will happen to each of us. I have 3 close family members left excluding my little sister. Grandma and Grandpa are 76 and 92 respectively. I live with my aunt who is 84. If anything has me worried at the moment, its them getting sick and not being able to get the kind of care they would need to get them through say the flu or something similar.

Again, sorry if I misunderstood you, but im sure you know how many people are out there feeling like theyre too cool for school when it comes to this virus, and looking down on people who are concerned about it. I just want people to be informed and do their part in personal hygiene. Being in the military you know that situational awareness can go a long way.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
According to a local news article what someone shared on The Facebook, the UK county I live in has its first confirmed case/s.

I say case/s because although it's confirmed, the exact number of "confirmed" cases is "between 1 and 4".

I feel reassured that in the face of the potential apocolypse I can continue my pastimes of being semi-confused and mildly bemused.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-number-of-cases-in-england/coronavirus-covid-19-number-of-cases-in-england

1. Table of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in England
These data are as of 9:00am on 5 March 2020.
Local authorityNumber of confirmed cases
Barking and Dagenham0
Barnet1 to 4
Barnsley1 to 4
Bath and North East Somerset0
Bedford0
Bexley0
Birmingham1 to 4
Blackburn with Darwen0
Blackpool0
Bolton1 to 4
Bournemouth0
Bracknell Forest0
Bradford1 to 4
Brent0
Brighton and Hove6
Bristol, City of0
Bromley1 to 4
Buckinghamshire0
Bury1 to 4
Calderdale0
Cambridgeshire0
Camden1 to 4
Central Bedfordshire0
Cheshire East0
Cheshire West and Chester0
City of London0
Cornwall1 to 4
County Durham0
Coventry0
Croydon0
Cumbria0
Darlington0
Derby0
Derbyshire1 to 4
Devon7
Doncaster0
Dorset0
Dudley0
Ealing1 to 4
East Riding of Yorkshire0
East Sussex0
Enfield0
Essex1 to 4
Gateshead0
Gloucestershire1 to 4
Greenwich0
Hackney0
Halton0
Hammersmith and Fulham0
Hampshire1 to 4
Haringey0
Harrow1 to 4
Hartlepool0
Havering0
Herefordshire, County of0
Hertfordshire5
Hillingdon0
Hounslow1 to 4
Isle of Wight0
Isles of Scilly0
Islington0
Kensington and Chelsea1 to 4
Kent1 to 4
Kingston upon Hull, City of1 to 4
Kingston upon Thames1 to 4
Kirklees0
Knowsley0
Lambeth0
Lancashire1 to 4
Leeds1 to 4
Leicester0
Leicestershire0
Lewisham1 to 4
Lincolnshire1 to 4
Liverpool0
Luton0
Manchester1 to 4
Medway0
Merton1 to 4
Middlesbrough0
Milton Keynes0
Newcastle upon Tyne1 to 4
Newham0
Norfolk0
North East Lincolnshire0
North Lincolnshire0
North Somerset0
North Tyneside0
North Yorkshire0
Northamptonshire1 to 4
Northumberland0
Nottingham1 to 4
Nottinghamshire0
Oldham1 to 4
Oxfordshire1 to 4
Peterborough1 to 4
Plymouth0
Poole0
Portsmouth0
Reading0
Redbridge0
Redcar and Cleveland0
Richmond upon Thames0
Rochdale0
Rotherham0
Rutland0
Salford0
Sandwell0
Sefton0
Sheffield0
Shropshire0
Slough0
Solihull0
Somerset1 to 4
South Gloucestershire0
South Tyneside0
Southampton0
Southend-on-Sea0
Southwark1 to 4
St. Helens0
Staffordshire1 to 4
Stockport0
Stockton-on-Tees0
Stoke-on-Trent0
Suffolk0
Sunderland0
Surrey1 to 4
Sutton0
Swindon0
Tameside0
Telford and Wrekin0
Thurrock0
Torbay1 to 4
Tower Hamlets0
Trafford1 to 4
Wakefield0
Walsall0
Waltham Forest0
Wandsworth1 to 4
Warrington0
Warwickshire0
West Berkshire0
West Sussex1 to 4
Westminster0
Wigan1 to 4
Wiltshire1 to 4
Windsor and Maidenhead0
Wirral1 to 4
Wokingham1 to 4
Wolverhampton0
Worcestershire0
York1 to 4
awaiting clarification8
Note: Data may be subject to delays in case confirmation and reporting, as well as ongoing data cleaning.

Forgot your password?