10th confirmed case in Victoria, Australia

Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo

10th confirmed case in Victoria, Australia
Damn I guess the toilet paper armor had a weakness.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
What happens to all the people employed in retail or tourism when cities shut down? How are those businesses which need people to people contact to transact viable when a city ceases to trade?

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
What happens to all the people employed in retail or tourism when cities shut down? How are those businesses which need people to people contact to transact viable when a city shuts down?
uhhh....they play Star Citizen?

Bad joke...unfortunately, this will most likely cause a severe disruption to economies, and certain industries will be *heavily* hit.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Mrs 'BobFace and I went to the supermarket today as the cupboards are bare. We bought exactly what we normally would have minus toilet rolls because they only had the Shea Butter rolls left. Don't know what it is about this epidemic and toilet rolls but there you go.

We turned an isle and there was a whole pallet of boxes of bottles of a certain brand of beer, shoulder high, with only one or two packs taken.

"Oh my god there is so much Corona here!" I said aghast.

Mrs 'BobFace just looked at me and said: "Could you have yelled that any louder? You know, during a global outbreak?!"

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I was just trying to find stuff on toilet paper in general, but it seems Australia is really having an issue. Not sure if its something the media caused, or maybe this started with the earlier disasters and the like. Theres a few more videos, to include people trying to snatch toilet paper from an old lady but i cant verify where theyre from or anything. Whats the deal @August ? Is the media overhyping this?

View: https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1236190490560786433

View: https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1236262621717958657

View: https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1234809349593276416

View: https://twitter.com/theage/status/1234790634587906048

View: https://twitter.com/MattWadeSMH/status/1235075472507031552

Reactions: Bambooza

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Now this is interesting.

MILAN (AP) — The coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy has so overwhelmed the public health system that officials are taking extraordinary measures to care for the sick, seeking to bring doctors out of retirement and accelerate graduation dates for nursing students.

I could only imagine being in nursing school, being accelerated to graduation just so you can be thrown to the wolves to work the front lines of a health crisis like this. Its not a bad thing at all, but damn theyre going to be in for a rude awakening. Id love for them to reinstate my (expired) EMT license if things get crazy here, I'd love to work my ass off in the ER again.

Last edited:

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
ugh... people. Please do some simple math before freaking out. 3411-2931 = 480 in the entire world outside of China have died --> that is a little over 14%, 85% of the ENTIRE death toll is in China. US has way below one percent of the deaths. And the majority of those deaths were from a OLD FOLKS HOME in WA.
It's not so much that I'm personally freaking out, as a manager I have to be conscious of how people are reacting to all of this. Everybody was fine and I even traveled to Dallas on business last week. Unfortunately Red Hat canceled the yearly Red Hat Summit conference which half of my staff was scheduled to attend. This got their attention and the concerns started coming up. We can easily be dismissive of the virus in a forum like this without any ramification, however that's a different story in my work place. What's funny is I've been educating my self about the virus more so that I can answer questions and re-assure those who work for me. The on-going message has been to keep your work area clean, wash your hands consistently and avoid anybody who is sick.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Everybody was fine and I even traveled to Dallas on business last week. Unfortunately Red Hat canceled the yearly Red Hat Summit conference which half of my staff was scheduled to attend. This got their attention and the concerns started coming up. We can easily be dismissive of the virus in a forum like this without any ramification, however that's a different story in my work place.
Exactly right.

Im not freaking out, my kids and wife are going to be fine. Odds are high that we might catch the virus and have a cough for a few days, then it goes away. Its not a big deal.

Everybody needs to be aware that your cities and towns are not going to dodge this. There are going to be thousands of cases by this time next week in every major city in the US.

The important thing to take from this is that you should not panic. If you are under 60 and in good health, you are fine.

If you are in the at-risk demographic, take some extra precautions, avoid crowded areas, wear a mask, be extra vigilant of touching your face (thus the mask) after handling items in a store. If you need to self quarantine, have basics enough for two weeks.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
What's funny is I've been educating my self about the virus more so that I can answer questions and re-assure those who work for me. The on-going message has been to keep your work area clean, wash your hands consistently and avoid anybody who is sick.
You're on point... keep doing what you're doing, because it is all you can really do. Coming off of Conference (RSA Conference) I can sympathize and understand your management problem. All I can say is do what you can do under your control... because the virus is a act of nature and we are just a subject. Hopefully it will be gone soon and by the end of the summer maybe we'll have some real therapeutics to fight it.

Forgot your password?