Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Talking to my sister who works for Air Canada.

The case in Toronto is from an Iranian women who flew into Canada via Copenhagen.

She flew business class... knowing she had symptoms.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I’m not sure that reading this thread has either provided me with reliable data or helped me to keep risk in perspective.
You think the thread isn't helpful try watching Terry Gilliam's Twelve Monkeys like I just did :-/

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
So reading articles and such, I guess I need to buy alcohol wipes for my trip tomorrow. What I'm not finding is information about the patients who have died. What caused the death and let's say I got infected what do I need to do, make sure my Will is up to date or get the right meds to treat the symptoms and play SC while I get better? I'm hearing that those who have died had some additional issues that caused them to die, but is that it, or is it one of those things where you HAVE to get meds and if you don't you WILL die?

Anyway, wondering what know, not interested in speculations.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Correct.

Underlying health issues, in particular, any respiratory issues.

Weak kidneys also bad, if you are dehydrated and your kidneys are under strain, that can make them shut down. Organ failure is pretty bad.
Correct

A total of 81% of cases in the JAMA study were classified as mild, meaning they did not result in pneumonia or resulted in only mild pneumonia. Fourteen percent of cases were severe (marked by difficulty breathing), and 5% were critical (respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction or failure).
Of the confirmed cases, 1,023 patients—all in critical condition—died from the virus, which results in a CFR of 2.3%. The CFR jumped considerably among older patients, to 14.8% in patients 80 and older, and 8.0% in patients ages 70 to 79. Among the critically ill, the CFR was 49.0%.

A smaller study today based on 52 critically ill patients at a Wuhan hospital confirms this finding. Thirty-two of the 52 critically ill patients (61.5%) died, and older age and acute respiratory distress syndrome were correlated with mortality.
The pathological features of COVID-19 greatly resemble those seen in SARS and Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome (MERS) coronavirus infection.

In addition, the liver biopsy specimens of the patient with COVID-19 showed moderate microvesicular steatosis and mild lobular and portal activity , indicating the injury could have been caused by either SARS-CoV-2 infection or drug-induced liver injury. There were a few interstitial mononuclear inflammatory infiltrates, but no other substantial damage in the heart tissue
So to sum it up. Most of the world will get this virus by the end of the flu season next year and most will simply market it up to a more severe case of seasonal influenza. Those who are in critical health or have other underlining medical conditions like asthma and lung disease are at greater risk of complications and death.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I feel like yall are trying to say you want more objective information. All you had to do was ask.

Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study

Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study

Summary
Background
In December, 2019, a pneumonia associated with the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) emerged in Wuhan, China. We aimed to further clarify the epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 2019-nCoV pneumonia.
Methods
In this retrospective, single-centre study, we included all confirmed cases of 2019-nCoV in Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital from Jan 1 to Jan 20, 2020. Cases were confirmed by real-time RT-PCR and were analysed for epidemiological, demographic, clinical, and radiological features and laboratory data. Outcomes were followed up until Jan 25, 2020.
Findings
Of the 99 patients with 2019-nCoV pneumonia, 49 (49%) had a history of exposure to the Huanan seafood market. The average age of the patients was 55·5 years (SD 13·1), including 67 men and 32 women. 2019-nCoV was detected in all patients by real-time RT-PCR. 50 (51%) patients had chronic diseases. Patients had clinical manifestations of fever (82 [83%] patients), cough (81 [82%] patients), shortness of breath (31 [31%] patients), muscle ache (11 [11%] patients), confusion (nine [9%] patients), headache (eight [8%] patients), sore throat (five [5%] patients), rhinorrhoea (four [4%] patients), chest pain (two [2%] patients), diarrhoea (two [2%] patients), and nausea and vomiting (one [1%] patient). According to imaging examination, 74 (75%) patients showed bilateral pneumonia, 14 (14%) patients showed multiple mottling and ground-glass opacity, and one (1%) patient had pneumothorax. 17 (17%) patients developed acute respiratory distress syndrome and, among them, 11 (11%) patients worsened in a short period of time and died of multiple organ failure.
Interpretation
The 2019-nCoV infection was of clustering onset, is more likely to affect older males with comorbidities, and can result in severe and even fatal respiratory diseases such as acute respiratory distress syndrome. In general, characteristics of patients who died were in line with the MuLBSTA score, an early warning model for predicting mortality in viral pneumonia. Further investigation is needed to explore the applicability of the MuLBSTA score in predicting the risk of mortality in 2019-nCoV infection.

Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China

Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China

Summary
Background
A recent cluster of pneumonia cases in Wuhan, China, was caused by a novel betacoronavirus, the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). We report the epidemiological, clinical, laboratory, and radiological characteristics and treatment and clinical outcomes of these patients.
Methods
All patients with suspected 2019-nCoV were admitted to a designated hospital in Wuhan. We prospectively collected and analysed data on patients with laboratory-confirmed 2019-nCoV infection by real-time RT-PCR and next-generation sequencing. Data were obtained with standardised data collection forms shared by WHO and the International Severe Acute Respiratory and Emerging Infection Consortium from electronic medical records. Researchers also directly communicated with patients or their families to ascertain epidemiological and symptom data. Outcomes were also compared between patients who had been admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) and those who had not.
Findings
By Jan 2, 2020, 41 admitted hospital patients had been identified as having laboratory-confirmed 2019-nCoV infection. Most of the infected patients were men (30 [73%] of 41); less than half had underlying diseases (13 [32%]), including diabetes (eight [20%]), hypertension (six [15%]), and cardiovascular disease (six [15%]). Median age was 49·0 years (IQR 41·0–58·0). 27 (66%) of 41 patients had been exposed to Huanan seafood market. One family cluster was found. Common symptoms at onset of illness were fever (40 [98%] of 41 patients), cough (31 [76%]), and myalgia or fatigue (18 [44%]); less common symptoms were sputum production (11 [28%] of 39), headache (three [8%] of 38), haemoptysis (two [5%] of 39), and diarrhoea (one [3%] of 38). Dyspnoea developed in 22 (55%) of 40 patients (median time from illness onset to dyspnoea 8·0 days [IQR 5·0–13·0]). 26 (63%) of 41 patients had lymphopenia. All 41 patients had pneumonia with abnormal findings on chest CT. Complications included acute respiratory distress syndrome (12 [29%]), RNAaemia (six [15%]), acute cardiac injury (five [12%]) and secondary infection (four [10%]). 13 (32%) patients were admitted to an ICU and six (15%) died. Compared with non-ICU patients, ICU patients had higher plasma levels of IL2, IL7, IL10, GSCF, IP10, MCP1, MIP1A, and TNFα.

A familial cluster of pneumonia associated with the 2019 novel coronavirus indicating person-to-person transmission: a study of a family cluster

A familial cluster of pneumonia associated with the 2019 novel coronavirus indicating person-to-person transmission: a study of a family cluster

Summary
Background
An ongoing outbreak of pneumonia associated with a novel coronavirus was reported in Wuhan city, Hubei province, China. Affected patients were geographically linked with a local wet market as a potential source. No data on person-to-person or nosocomial transmission have been published to date.
Methods
In this study, we report the epidemiological, clinical, laboratory, radiological, and microbiological findings of five patients in a family cluster who presented with unexplained pneumonia after returning to Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China, after a visit to Wuhan, and an additional family member who did not travel to Wuhan. Phylogenetic analysis of genetic sequences from these patients were done.
Findings
From Jan 10, 2020, we enrolled a family of six patients who travelled to Wuhan from Shenzhen between Dec 29, 2019 and Jan 4, 2020. Of six family members who travelled to Wuhan, five were identified as infected with the novel coronavirus. Additionally, one family member, who did not travel to Wuhan, became infected with the virus after several days of contact with four of the family members. None of the family members had contacts with Wuhan markets or animals, although two had visited a Wuhan hospital. Five family members (aged 36–66 years) presented with fever, upper or lower respiratory tract symptoms, or diarrhoea, or a combination of these 3–6 days after exposure. They presented to our hospital (The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen) 6–10 days after symptom onset. They and one asymptomatic child (aged 10 years) had radiological ground-glass lung opacities. Older patients (aged >60 years) had more systemic symptoms, extensive radiological ground-glass lung changes, lymphopenia, thrombocytopenia, and increased C-reactive protein and lactate dehydrogenase levels. The nasopharyngeal or throat swabs of these six patients were negative for known respiratory microbes by point-of-care multiplex RT-PCR, but five patients (four adults and the child) were RT-PCR positive for genes encoding the internal RNA-dependent RNA polymerase and surface Spike protein of this novel coronavirus, which were confirmed by Sanger sequencing. Phylogenetic analysis of these five patients' RT-PCR amplicons and two full genomes by next-generation sequencing showed that this is a novel coronavirus, which is closest to the bat severe acute respiatory syndrome (SARS)-related coronaviruses found in Chinese horseshoe bats.

Below is a comprehensive report of the findings from the WHO first study in China.
Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

This kinda lays everything out by the numbers.
Age, Sex, Existing Conditions of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths

Studies profile lung changes in asymptomatic COVID-19, viral loads in patient samples

Study of 72,000 COVID-19 patients finds 2.3% death rate

Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents

Correlation of Chest CT and RT-PCR Testing in Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: A Report of 1014 Cases
Conclusion
Chest CT has a high sensitivity for diagnosis of COVID-19. Chest CT may be considered as a primary tool for the current COVID-19 detection in epidemic areas.

Theres other studies out there that get a bit more technical, and ill be on the lookout for individual patient studies. If you want anything else Ill go looking for it.

Last edited:

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
Here are a few links to chew on...

MedCram has a great series on CORVID-19 information and updates:

Can the USA Legally Quarantine the Coronavirus? (LegalEagle’s Real Law Review):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF8MswEQS7w

Lastly, John Oliver was right... this Coronavirus song slaps! (As the kids say these days):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9YirNgAzXI

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
More cases on the east coast now:

Gov. Brian Kemp confirms two coronavirus cases in Georgia
I live in Atlanta. GA is underestimating this already. Once it gets through Hartsfield International Airport, it's done. Its highly HIGHLY likely that there are individuals who have mild symptoms, who haven't reported and are spreading it. Like the nursing home in Washington state, no one had a reason to think they had any illness. The symptoms vary from non-existant to severe with some people never getting anything beyond a mild cold. I already plan on getting this if I don't have it already with my interaction with the community here.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
First case in NC from my old home county was announced an hour ago.

Patient did visit Washington State which seems to be on track to become a big source of the spread.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
We’ve had reports of new cases coming in from Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, and Iran

10 reported cases in Vic, the F1 GP is obviously at risk of cancellation - if the Italians can’t travel that takes out Pirelli, Ferrari, etc.

NSW has 3 cases acquired locally, and they keep finding people flying in from OS who have the virus.

Forgot your password?